GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To sell or not to sell????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-03, 05:24 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default To sell or not to sell????

Im not sure what it is, but I have recently (past few days) had the urge to sell my car for a pure sports car. I originally bought the GS due to the fact that my 800rwhp Supra was not a daily driver anymore(car seat, etc.), so it had to go. The GS was a compromise between speed and room for the family. I have since changed jobs and now have a company car at my disposal, so the GS sits 99% of the time...that is when its not in the shop getting superchargers, valve body upgrades, etc, etc, etc. I love my GS, and I have dumped a ton of cash into it in the past year, but I keep thinking about getting another high HP sports car. I have been pondering the idea of another single turbo Supra(possibly the same one I sold a year ago), an NSX, or a Viper GTS....one of the three. For pure HP it would be the Supra, but the Viper and the NSX have a more exotic appeal to them, maybe thats because I have already owned a few Supras. Im not really sure how much the GS could fetch, I know it wouldnt be near the over 50k I have into it at this point. The funny thing is, even while Im thinking about selling it, Im still spending money on it as we speak...ie, stereo set up.

I do this all the time, build a car up and get bored with it once the process is just about done.....I have issues!!

This might be one of those "you want what you dont have" situations. The funny thing is, when I was getting the SC put in, it was being done at one of the local Supra guru shops. Im in there drooling over the single turbo Supras, and the Supra owners were in there drooling over my SC'd GS.

What to do....keep it or sell it?

AND PLEASE DONT E MAIL ME ABOUT PARTING THE CAR OUT.....IM NOT EVEN SURE IF IM SERIOUS ABOUT SELLING THE CAR YET!

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 12-31-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-31-03, 05:31 PM
94-T88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe dejavu.......
Old 12-31-03, 06:15 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

keep your GS and get another sports car
Old 12-31-03, 06:30 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: To sell or not to sell????

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
AND PLEASE DONT E MAIL ME ABOUT PARTING THE CAR OUT.....IM NOT EVEN SURE IF IM SERIOUS ABOUT SELLING THE CAR YET! [/B]
Dammit!!!! Just as I was navigating towards the PM button LOL

Seriously Jeff, maybe u should get the GS finished and see how like having speed,luxury, etc before u give up!!
Old 12-31-03, 06:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

well if you already have a company car for daily compute and the GS is sitting there, maybe you should go sell it and get another real exotic car. that's the mindset i had when i got my is3. i already have the gs4 as family car so i want something smaller, more performance oriented. it makes a lot of sense

of course, at the same time i have to say, your gs is one of the most bad *** one i have ever seen, so it's sad to see it go! but also it will be very hard to sell the car too, even if you try to part it out as much as possible. coz' the stereo would be hard to take out, and the sc would be super hard to go out as well i suppose. i guess finding a buyer isn't something easy at all
Old 12-31-03, 08:09 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Is the GS paid off? If it is, I would just keep it for a while. There is alot of people on this board that can just afford to own a GS let alone dump money into it. Point is, Its a nice *** car, keep it, because once you sell it, you'll regret it.
Old 01-01-04, 04:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gs400998
keep your GS and get another sports car
That is the best option, you GS is too nice to let go dude!!!
Old 01-01-04, 04:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, I have an even better idea.
Get a black GS3, transfer all your body mods and stuff to that car, do a TT swap or get some sort of crazy turbo kit and buy a Viper or other sportscar.
Best of both worlds.
Old 01-01-04, 07:14 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

If I were you I would keep the GS4 simply because of all the money you have sunk into it. I know I would never sell mine simply because of that reason. It is a labour of love and IS not worth it to sell it.
Old 01-01-04, 07:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

well put hameed

jeff , hold onto that sweet beauty you have , you have treated her with respect , love and patience and she has returned the favors 10 fold . she has given you great enjoyment and reliablility.

my own will be kept for my son to pass down to , when i first started looking at the gs line i always said "these cars are a keeper" they are bulletproof and a car you can truly believe in and jeff, you took yours to the final level

just my .02cents for ya bro
Old 01-01-04, 07:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife
my own will be kept for my son to pass down to , when i first started looking at the gs line i always said "these cars are a keeper" they are bulletproof and a car you can truly believe in and jeff, you took yours to the final level
My sentiments exactly!!! I will also pass mine down to my sons when I am buried under six feet of dirt.
Old 01-01-04, 09:18 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Wow this is a big decision, your GS is one of the nicest on CL and when I was new here I was like damn TT's car is sick so I would have to say keep it man, it is a job well done and if you sell it you will be like boy I miss my GS.
Old 01-01-04, 10:11 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by lexforlife

my own will be kept for my son to pass down to
Thanks Dad, I'll take it as soon as you get the aero mods done, and the S/C installed

Seriously though, if you decide to part out the car, I think the mods would go QUICK!! Especially if the prices are right . Tough part is you lose alot of the installation and labor $$$.

Like I said before, once that baby is all done, you never know, get her all buttoned up and then move from there. If its not your bag, you may find some rich kid to just buy the car.
Old 01-01-04, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Jeff - as you know, no single vehicle does everything. If you can use your company car to haul your family around as well, then you don't need the GS for that purpose. If you want an all out sports car, the GS isn't that either. It's clear you get bored of a 'project' once it's nearing completion so I guess you want to begin a new one, so I say go for it. You sure have an expensive hobby though!

I am happy I've modded my car as much as I have - I'll do a bit more (stereo like you) and maybe coilovers and some minor cosmetic changes at some point, but I'm happy to keep my car for at least a couple more years - I like getting my money's worth. My wife just got a new F-150 so maybe I can begin modding that. I'm looking at a carbon fiber gun rack right now.
Old 01-01-04, 10:33 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
. I'm looking at a carbon fiber gun rack right now.

LOL thats a good one Bit!

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell????