GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need help... Cup holder reboot

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 03:29 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help... Cup holder reboot

Ok guys I have now owned my 1GS3 for almost a whole year. In that year I've replaced the beat up front seats with some perforated black 2002 GS seats and they are sweet. Tried to salvage the factory audio but in the end I had to replace it to get the audio back up to acceptable quality so I've got an Alpine head unit with a VFL Comp 2K amp on a CT Sounds 15 inch sub, or a Sundown SD3 12 or an Ampere 2.0 RME 8 inch.. I am always tinkering with something so I'll occasionally swap out subs depending on what I be here to do with the car or what mood I'm in. Also got a pair of Evil 6.5's with some Infinity 6.5 components split up in the doors.
Texas allows any level of tint so I have 20% all the way around and being so damned dark I recently installed a backup camera and I 3d printed a moynt for the monitor making it look a little more natural and almost stock in my GS300. So now that I've done all of this finally it's gotten to the point of total annoyance that my drink holder (that I've never seen) is gone. I am aware that it's gone because of the fact that they are so fragile so I have an idea but being that I have never seen one I need to wrangle up somebody to help me. I can kinda tell what the thing should look like. It at least how I could make one that would work. But I'd have a much easier task of creating and printing one if I had one to use to work from or redesign. I don't expect anyone to send me their working drink holder but if anyone has an Xbox Kinect or if we're so lucky as to have someone in here that has a 3d scanner and that person wants to scan their drink holder for me I will start making drink holders and this being the case I am more than willing to FINALLY give back to the CL community by selling these to my fellow forum-ers at the cost of the filament which will likely cost between five and ten bucks each!!
Of course the person willing to help me will get theirs as payment for scanning the one they have! If this doesn't work out as far as finding a 3d scanner among us then I'm totally happy just getting a handful of pics with a good set of dimensions that I can work from to design this piece in AutoCAD 2019. I work with CAD all day so the staffing of the piece shouldn't take long. Though this method will likely take a little longer as far as fine tuning and development goes so it's likely a months worth of printing and drafting time total away from a potential fix to this problem many of us have dealt with or are currently dealing with.
So if anyone fits the bill for this job, or if someone here has a broken one that you feel is in tact enough and you think I can get the picture from your broken specimen well enough to recreate the design, please get in touch with me. I would be happy to receive your piece, scan it, and return it with a new printed cup holder as soon as I can scan or measure the old one and develop one similar enough to slide in and out hiding it in the armrest just like the original. Sorry for the long post but it's been a while since I've gotten to talk about my beloved GS3!

P.S. last month I bought a rough around the edges 1996 SC400 and I'm currently working on it to make it my pretty little daily driving street/track car. I've already got some carbon fiber for fabricating a few new panels and I've also got some fiberglass ready to go on some door panels and subwoofer boxes in the trunk. I also have some front fenders made of fiberglass coming so it's definitely on it's way to being a good rowdy little brother to my "good little girl" Lexy the GS300.. can you tell that I've totally fallen in love with the Lexus brand and these awesome cars?!!?

Anyway...

Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive regarding this post. Long live Club Lexus! If not for you guys I'd likely still be chasing down reasons why my tilt and telescopic steering doesn't wirk correctly and even driving around on my stock rims instead of these nice chrome second gen beauties. (Thanks Ill Martin they still look great!)
Old 02-11-19, 08:20 PM
FLexus92
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dope! Any pictures?! Would love to see your stereo setup?