High Output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 10:06 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default High Output Alternator

Hey guys

Long story short I started my car monday morning and there was a whining noise that I investigated. I figured out my alternator was in the process of quiting which wasn't surprising since it was a cheap aftermarket unit I put on over 2 years ago and over that 2 years I have added an amp, 2 sets of HIDs, fans for the amp, MSD ignition set up and I am always charging my phone on top of everything else the car itself needs so the stock alternator at 80-90 amps was probably working pretty hard all of the time. TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!!!! I did some research and looking an came across the Eagle Auto Electric 200 amp alternator. I called the company and spoke with them for 30 minutes and placed my order. Fast forward to today...

As you can see the Eagle Auto Electric unit is bigger but it fit right in place with no problems.

I did swap pulleys because the factory pulley is larger than what come the EAE unit.

Torque spec on the pulley nut is 29 ft. lbs

Didn't get a chance to test amperage output but I can tell that everything that is electrical is performing better. Dash lights are brighter, windows moved faster and my sub definitely hits harder. I will run voltage and amperage tests tomorrow.

To go along with the new alternator I think I am going to look for new/better places to add more ground wires and I will probably run 0 gauge wire to the alternator and fuse block.
Old 04-04-16, 02:22 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That thing is a monster. You don't notice it bogging down the engine at all do you? How much does it cost? I think with the larger pulley, the alternator is spinning slightly slower so you might be getting less than the 200 amps right now.
Old 04-04-16, 05:17 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mandrake
That thing is a monster. You don't notice it bogging down the engine at all do you? How much does it cost? I think with the larger pulley, the alternator is spinning slightly slower so you might be getting less than the 200 amps right now.
No bogging down what so ever.....just the opposite actually. The car seems to be more lively and it idles a little better too. Yes the larger pulley does slow it down but not sure how much it effects output though.
Old 04-05-16, 05:39 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

I did the math and I guess it'll be turning 6.66% slower with the larger pulley. Interesting number there.
Old 04-05-16, 05:03 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Lol thats kind of a scary number but spinning it a little slow may help extend its life.
Old 04-11-16, 12:08 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Oh I'm sure it's no problem. These things are meant to be variable speed anyway and rapidly change speeds too.
Old 04-13-16, 01:34 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow !!! very nice and very much worthwhile upgrade !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-16, 01:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

One word of caution... I upgraded to a high output alternator on my old 2GS, and it overcharged the battery (an Optima Yellow Top) so much that it erupted and blew battery acid all over the engine bay. Thought initially that it was a defective battery, replaced the battery and it happened again. Finally tracked it back to the alternator.

Sometimes more power is too much power.
Old 04-13-16, 01:53 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
One word of caution... I upgraded to a high output alternator on my old 2GS, and it overcharged the battery (an Optima Yellow Top) so much that it erupted and blew battery acid all over the engine bay. Thought initially that it was a defective battery, replaced the battery and it happened again. Finally tracked it back to the alternator.

wow... sorry to hear...

but after replacing the alternator.. was i also putting out the proper voltage n so forth ?
Old 04-13-16, 02:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

It was not as constant as OEM with more spikes.
Old 04-13-16, 05:54 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

Wow that sucks man!! What did you do to stop that from continuing to happen? Did you do "The Big 3 Wire Upgrade" with the high output alternator? I was reading the wire upgrade helps to avoid problems like that. Do you have any thoughts on what could be done to prevent overcharging? .
Old 04-13-16, 06:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep, upgraded the big three and had grounding kit as well.

I ended up going back to an OEM alternator to fix it. It was a big mess, got battery acid on the front fender and had to have it repainted.
Old 04-20-16, 11:28 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

TrackMKIII, did you upgrade your alternator wire yet?
Old 04-20-16, 06:56 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my hunt for an upgraded alternator I found this gem:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post8656410

Apparently, these alternators are just not capable of the numbers Eagle claims.
Old 04-21-16, 07:25 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mandrake
TrackMKIII, did you upgrade your alternator wire yet?
I have not upgraded the wires yet. I have taken measurements, purchased wires and terminals and test fit everything just have to do the final install. On top of the "Big 3 upgrade" I am going to add another ground to the alternator as well.

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator