GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Gs530/600 build thread (slow)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 10:46 AM
Grayson400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs530/600 build thread (slow)

We recently came across a gutted 1994 gs300 that we originally bought to swap the JZ into our awaiting 1974 Datsun 260z. Well this turned into that and that to this so we ditched the idea of swapping the Z and stuck the stock engine back in (for now.)
. I'm gonna keep this first post short because I am skeptical of typing everything out with the pictures so expect more updates later today. Thank you guys! - Grayson Sullens
Old 06-06-15, 12:39 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Looks lowered, clean nice body. Perfect candidate!

Hope you guys plan to revive this beast, great plat form for a turbo manual w/ LSD
Old 06-06-15, 12:53 PM
Grayson400
Driver School Candidate

Originally I had planned on selling the shell and trying to break even but that later changed. I started looking around and came across little to nothing on V8 swaps into this chassis especially not lsx engines. I began researching my power goals which as of now is about 375-400hp naturally aspirated. Which you know as well as I that this is a walk in the park for a 6.0 lq4 engine. Which brings me to my next topic. After a little bit more research I learned of the LQ4 engine, commonly found in the 1500 model trucks and in some of the cars in an aluminum block variant. I realize that slapping a full iron v8 engine into a car not meant for it is probably going to throw off some weight numbers but have you ever weighed a 2jz. Jesus christ they're like 19 tons.

So that is what the LQ4 6.0l engine would look like given you kept all the truck accessories (I don't) the way to power with this engine is usually and intake, cam, and sometimes if budget allows heads. Other than that stock drivetrain can usually handle it. You will typically have to convert it to the accessories that came equipped on the car variant of these engines due to the truck motors having more hood clearance and therefore higher placement of the alternator and such. This is no problem.

Living in the south, Georgia to be exact, North Georgia to be more exact,, has its' advantages. The crack heads here seemingly all went out and bought chevrolet trucks whenever they first came out, drove them, parked them, and will now sell the engines for dirt cheap (to buy drugs) or send them to the scrap yard. This is good for me

Next topic is transmissions. If you've ever dealt with anything LSX you'll know how high and mighty the T56 is viewed and has now surpassed the R154 in cost. I do not understand as they usually shift like an actual ******* and are generally just sketchy. Well the gods over at CollinsAdapter have made a kit to mount any LSX engine to the 350z 6 speed/ cd00X transmission. This is like a kiss to the nuts being that you can find used cd00x transmissions for surprisingly cheap. There will be complications with driveshafts and mounts later down the road but I'll tackle that when it comes.

Wiring is something I've never been around much and therefore confuses me to no end. However a few people I know well could probably wire a JZ or an LSX engine with their eyes closed. I know the GS has about 4564 miles worth of wiring for the body but since I won't be worrying with A/C or heat or anything of the sort It will simplify it greatly. I will be talking to a local Chevrolet engine builder in my area tonight hopefully to see if he has any leads on an LQ4 engine for relatively cheap and will likely get him to assemble it and help with selecting the upgrades. (Bryan Maloof for those interested)

This pretty much sums up this post but please stick around for more. I'm just gonna dump some more pictures of the car below. Enjoy!

(PS In one of the pictures it shows the door skin being cut out. This was the previous owner and I had nothing to do with it. I am looking for new doors as we speak.)
Also I hope the picture resolution isn't too massive. I'm working on being able to use the URL option instead

Last edited by Grayson400; 06-06-15 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 06-06-15, 01:23 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Oh boy, 6l v8 with nissan manual trans? Sign me up! What is the car going to be for? Drift, drag, daily driver?
Old 06-06-15, 02:10 PM
Grayson400
Driver School Candidate

If I can get doors and patch the sunroof hole up I plan on dailying it. Can't get much worse mpg than my ls400 lol. I'd also like to enter in some drift competitions eventually just for fun
Old 06-06-15, 02:21 PM
Grayson400
Driver School Candidate

But as of now I've only made progress on the inside of the car by removing a few more of the bits and pieces and undoing some of the unnecessary electrics. I cut out a replacement panel to go in place of the stock heated seat buttons to mount switches for the E fan and something else I'm sure