GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Welcome to Club Lexus! 1GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 07:00 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile Cars from Japan

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Where did you order it from? And if you dont mind me asking, how much was it to your door?
Hey there I had Andrew with Pacific Coast Auto assist me with the buying process. There is a free auction search tool that has a guest login with password for you to browse. I like these guys since they deal directly with the auction house and are very honest to begin with. Its a flat fee and no hidden fees or markups. The Japanese mostly trade in or scrap cars and get new ones so most do go to auction. As like the US Auctions cars can get expensive quick depending on the quality and millage. If you do not mind a non turbo car like the one I had they are significantly cheaper and usually in better shape. You can see the video of the Aristo 3.0Q on YouTube. I really wanted a 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE so I ended up going with a car that came with that drive-line stock. I am not getting anything from this I am just sharing how this company helped me and also saved me a lot of money since most dealers here want $15,000 to $20,000 for these cars and its a very steep mark up. On the other side these cars are 25 years old and where a fairly rare production car in Japan but if you find one they usually have very low miles my car had 18,000. Just like the GS300 they need care and more attention since they are such old cars. Hope this will help people who are considering getting a Japanese car imported. I am jazzed since my next car is getting delivered in a week. They are not as finely appointed as the GS300 but the sister car is very nice just the same.

Old 01-27-18, 05:37 PM
Sleepypete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepypete's $400 1996 gs300 project

Hi everyone, glad to say I am now a gs owner. For awhile now I have been enjoying my 92 sc400, but have heard so much about the 1uz's cousin the 2jz, I decided to see for myself.

I bought this car for $400 from a man whose mother owned it until the harmonic balancer when bad. He said it had sat for a couple years with the back windows down and that his dogs may have chewed some of the trim off but other than that it was a "nice little car".

It is a 1996 gs300, auto, bone stock, with 180xxx miles, a bad harmonic balancer, broken windshield, what's left of a black paintjob, back windows dont work, busted trunk lock, and a decent amount of chewed up wires coming from the coil and igniter module. At least that's everything I knew before bringing it home.

I figured even if the car was junk that I would at least have a motor to put on the stand and build for later use. So the night I brought it home I started digging in to see how bad the damage was.

I started by putting in a good battery. The dome lights came on. Good. Put the key in and turned it, dash lit up, and steering wheel lowered into place. Great! Turned the key and bumped the starter and it turned over fine. Checked everything in the car and outside, from signals to sunroof and a/c and radio. The only things that do not work are the back windows and the trunk. Was very pleased about that.

Then wanted to see if the interior was salvageable.

It was all pretty rough but aside from the ripped up seats, 90% of the grime has come off easily with some elbow grease.
​​​​​​

With some carpet shampoo, better cleaner, paint, and a windshield I think that this could be a "nice little car". So I have decided to leave the motor in it and restore it as a whole, squeezing some extra go into it while I do. I have seen allot of amazing work from allot of people on here and hope to learn what I can from those ahead of me.

Sleepypete
Old 01-27-18, 06:01 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the 1GS family!! Looks like a decent place to start building from. Please keep us updated with any progress you make.
Old 02-04-18, 02:11 AM
2jzjim
Driver School Candidate

Post a thread regarding my GS300 cranking but not actually firing up but figured I should also introduce myself! Name's Clay and I've been a Supra guy since I started working on cars. Granted I've had a few different rigs just to commute before. When it came to really building my first project was a 1987 Toyota Supra drift project that went really well, had it slammed on coils, running great on a straight pipe + ram air 7mge but long story short my rack and pinion snapped during a high speed drift and that alone sent me straight into the track wall and totaled the front end of the Supra. I decided to give it up for auction, just wasnt worth repairing at the time. Although I miss her greatly. Anyways, now it's time to start the process over again but keep more of this project intact since I REALLY LOVE the GS300 style...AND 2JZ NO SH#T!!! Thanks for having me here everyone, look forward to learning from you all.

Interior is completely spotless, aside from a few rips in the driver and passenger front seats. Car is nearly perfect also, clean suspension and undercarriage with a clean engine bay and near perfect exterior. Only issue is the 2JZGE cranks but doesn't fire. Currently looking up various probable causes and am slowly narrowing it down now.

Last edited by 2jzjim; 02-04-18 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 05:38 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I'm Deaner, I just bought my first GS it's a 1995 I got a heck of a deal on it but it's a very car that I fell in love with my senior year of high school I was able to find even the color scheme that was my favorite. Got some good points it's got some bad point the good points are when it gets warmed up it tends to run like a scalded dog but the first 30 seconds to two minutes little bog down no matter how much gas I give it and won't do more than about two and a half to 5 miles an hour. I'm already looking into vacuum leak or EGR valve replacement but any help you guys might have for me I would really appreciate. A couple other things I want to fix after I get the motor running like brand-new is replacing the front seats which have cracked over the years. I'd even like to replace the whole back seat if not just the back seat back because it has two large cracks where the seams are. Also dealing with a steering wheel tilt that is inoperable and my speedometer intermittently works or doesn't. I do know the cruise control works and I was happy to find that out today. The original Pioneer stereo is in it but it doesn't turn on and because of that doesn't make a sound but after purchasing it I did discover the CD changer in the trunk I really love to be able to get all original working together again even if I had to buy refurbished parts. Again any help I can get with these issues will be greatly appreciated I plan to do all this work on my own with the exception of replacing a timing belt which I'm getting done in the next 2 weeks I have two quotes already and I'm going back to the cheaper one to find out if they intended to replace the water pump when they fix the timing belt. Please let me say again I have found lots of useful information on this board that is the reason I decided to join. I am open and willing to listen to anything and everything anyone with prior experience has to share with me. Thanks for reading my quite wordy introduction but I wanted to give you all a good idea of what I have to work with. To all of you out there with the Same Love of these cars as I have: cheers, it would be great to meet as many of you as I can. Thanks a lot and I wish you many continued years loving and enjoying your Lexus'. Whenever you're in the Austin area feel free to hit me up. A personal message is all it takes to get my phone number and beers and good times can be shared in this self proclaimed "weird city" of mine. Thanks again,
​​​​​​
The Deaner

Last edited by DeanWeen; 04-15-18 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Errors
Old 04-16-18, 03:27 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Welcome all the new enthusiasts and drivers. Vacuum leaks, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, coolant sensors can all lead to problems you speak of Dean.

Jim the no fire needs to be narrowed down. Do you have spark? Do you have fuel? You are missing something. Check your fuses, turn your key on and listen to see if you hear fuel priming or not. Maybe the fuel pump is bad? Good luck!
Old 04-26-18, 07:12 PM
GSLEXUS123
Driver School Candidate

Default New to forum

95 Lex GS300
New to Forum, long time owner(20 yrs):
*95 GS300
*Sandstone/ Tan
*Great car !
Old 04-28-18, 08:04 AM
Savedmoss
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone. I was just gifted my grandfathers GS. I've always been a VW guy so this is a huge change for me. Its silver with grey fabric interior, basically no options at all, but that's how my grandfather rolled. Always garage kept till about 7 or so years ago when he gave it to my mother with 26k miles. It now has 79k miles on it. Not planning on modding it, just going to keep it stock as best I can and fix the few odds and ends that need attention, namely the wood grain pieces that are starting to peel in the interior. If anyone has a source for these, I'd loved to hear about it!
Old 04-29-18, 10:38 AM
GSLEXUS123
Driver School Candidate

Great looking GS,
Good Luck & Enjoy.
Old 04-30-18, 09:04 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

DEFINITELY A GOOD LOOKER! You certainly did get lucky. Plenty of good life left in it too! I mean it's barely broken in good. Honestly man, I don't know that I've ever been in a Lexus that had fabric and not leather. That to me is an oddity of it's own. Enjoy it for sure. It's gonna hold together well and not be as costly as maybe say a 98-18 model just because it's a little before all the intricate gadgetry that makes most every car on the road now at least semi luxury. I mean my in-laws just got a Ford Taurus with wood grain interior and of course leather with memory seats and steering wheel upgrades. Doesn't remind me of a Ford at all.
Lots of places to find parts for it. Unfortunately though it's either through Lexus or look around through the odds and ends parts dealers and junk yards. I'm having to do that for lots of my parts. Ebay etc.. but a Google search will likely turn up more than you realized but some things are hard to come by so it's almost strictly junk yard find or Lexus Dealership IF they carry them anymore. Like for instance I'm just trying to find information on the motor for the tilt and telescopic electric motor and I find a ton of stuff about repairing a gear but nothing about the part not making a sound or effort at all. If I can help say something. I can and will definitely help Any way I can.
--Deaner
Old 08-01-18, 11:05 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Try the search button this is the welcome thread not the what’s wrong with my GS300 thread. Grats on the new car.
Originally Posted by Ulamax
I just got this car 3 week's ago, it's a 1993. First, it was working fine then the car won't shift gear unless you override it. And now my brake lights won't come on. We're trying to change the brake light switch but there is a bolt that won't let us get to it. Any help or suggestions.
Old 08-27-18, 09:37 AM
OOO_ROB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New here to the 1st gen club but been here for some time here goes my latest pick up 96 GS00 with 183k

and here goes my other GS300
The following users liked this post:
1JzLos (02-13-21)
Old 01-10-19, 06:22 PM
GS30088
Driver School Candidate

Wink 93 gs300

what up I’m Matt,have a 93 gs300 that has 215000 miles and is my daily driver.recently changed water pump and timing belt.recently started spuddering and running like crap,today after taking throttle body off to start knocking down possibilities as to what was wrong,I found a coolant leak on water valve house that goes into back of the head and was leaking and saturating my plugs.so after cleaning the throttle body’s i put new plugs and wires in.car runs strong now,cleaning the throttle body was a game changer..here’s some flicks of my garage work

Old 02-13-19, 11:29 AM
MrJames147
Driver School Candidate

Default New Aristo

Hey guys,new to the forum, but been in the scene quite some time. I own an S13 Silvia with a v-mount 1jzvvti setup, and just purchased this 1993 Aristo 300v (2JZGTE) last month from RHD Specialties out of Kent, Washington. They have a great variety of imported vehicles, check them out if you are interested in purchasing the JDM vehicle of your dreams! I flew from Massachusetts, purchased the car, and drove it all the way home without issue. The odometer read 15,062KM, and just 19,000KM to date.

The Aristo came pretty stock, with the following modifications:
19" Work Euroline wheels
Limited Racing coilovers
Grow brushed pillar covers
Trust panel filter
Valenti HID

I plan to drive this car daily when the weather is nice, and keep it pretty low key, although I may pull the trigger and purchase a brand new R154 5 speed setup (not sure what to use for clutch pedal assembly) if funds allow. Other than that, some mild aero and exhaust/decat.

The following users liked this post:
1JzLos (02-13-21)
Old 02-25-19, 01:52 PM
GS1curt
Driver School Candidate

Default my gs

Hi guys, im curt from the isle of man, been a 1gs owner since November 2018, so far I've had some irritating issues, mainly from the previous owners not taking care of my gs1 the issues so far are
calipers all 4 need rebuilding
light for the clocks some don't work mainly rev counter and speedo and fuel guage
3 power steering pumps and now either the rack is leaking or the pipe going down to the rack not 100% sure
fog lights have been stolen
and theres oil leaks everywhere :P
apart from those bits she's great
shes also dark green (don't know the colour code) with cream interior

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 1GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE