GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 12:35 PM
WaGS300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket

I would appreciate some advice about my super clean GS with a bad head gasket. The GS has been family owned most of its life and has been very well maintained (including timing belts, regular oil changes, etc). It has a near perfect interior that was pulled out of a 1996 GS that was being parted out, near perfect exterior and a few tasteful updates. I’ve added GS430 wheels and brand new tires (245/40/18 Continental Pure Contact with about 3,000 miles on them – 70k mile warranty - http://goo.gl/9iuOH8). The car was professionally lowered with Vogtland springs and KYB struts for a total of about a 2” drop. We have 20 years’ worth of receipts, the original owner’s manual, etc. Every electrical component in the vehicle works perfectly, including sunroof, power seats, windows (all factory glass except the windshield, which is also brand new).
The car ran perfectly until Thursday, when a heater hose cracked and caused the engine to overheat and then caused the head gasket failure. With 264k miles, the engine isn’t likely worth the time/money to replace the head gasket (and I’m not mechanically savvy enough to do the job myself). I’m not sure that I want the expense or hassle of a new engine either.
I’m torn about getting rid of such a nice GS300 – you don’t clean examples often and I know it’s worth more than KBB indicates.
Any ideas about what I should do with it? Anyone out there need an excellent parts car or have a good engine that they could transplant into it? Or do you think I should simply part it out (sum of parts probably worth more than the whole)?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket-dsc_0353.jpg   Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket-dsc_0356.jpg   Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket-dsc_0339.jpg   Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket-dsc_0363.jpg   Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket-dsc_0355.jpg  

Old 10-05-13, 03:05 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Nice car, but with a bad motor... It would be worth selling to someone for under 1k so they can purchase a 2500 dollar 2jzgte swap and add in about another thousand or two worth of parts to finish and complete the swap and you would have a sick swapped gs300!
Old 10-05-13, 07:48 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

I've been looking for a new body but your up in Washington getting it towed to southern Cali must be pricey but if you do part I will be interested in parts

How much you even trying to sell it for?
Old 10-07-13, 11:03 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep it.

2JZ-GTE swap it.
Old 10-08-13, 02:31 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My first opinion comes from the perspective of the car being mine. I would say keep the car. The car is beautiful. I would love for my car to look like that. I'm trying to get my car in that condition.

On the other hand, if don't feel like dealing with it, then I say part it out. I'm sure you would make a nice profit.

If you part it out, I call dibs on the cup center console including the cup holder and floor mats.
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I would try to sell it intact if you don't want to deal with the expense of engine repairs. I would think someone would be interested in that car for an engine swap.
Old 10-10-13, 07:09 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

fix it... .
Old 10-11-13, 07:19 AM
fstlane
Driver

How much you want for it? I'd be interested in the whole thing if the price is right.
Old 11-23-13, 05:16 AM
Cornhusker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Cornhusker advice

I think that's that sharpest first generation GS 300 ever posted on this board! Very PURE, Original and Clean. In my opinion, this model Lexus, designed by Italdesign Giugiaro (designer of many classic Lamborghini and Ferrari's) is the sexiest Lexus' ever made. I suggest you sell it to your father-n-law for $1,500 and let him try to replace the head gasket and if that doesn't work let him drop in a JDM engine for about $3,000 and keep that classic in the family. If anyone out there has a nicer first generation GS300 please send pictures. This owner has a RARE car that many people, including myself, would love to own. Cornhusker Dave
Old 11-23-13, 08:31 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would fix it. stock 2jzge engines go for $750- $900 on ebay from a reputable auto importer. I just replaced my motor 2 months ago from one and it is running strong.

Bear in mind this is just a stock 2jzge from japan with around just 50k miles on it, but it posses a noticeably nice, and consistent pull at 65+mph up to 100mph (nothing at all like turbo tho). The previous higher mileage 2jzge (before head gasket failure) did not deliver the same experience (~215,000 miles).

I'm kinda laughing at this, but now the ECT power button actually makes a noticeable difference where as with the motor before it did not (before head gasket failure).

If the price of a 2zgte or 1jzgte may be a bit too pricey, I hope this cheaper alternative convinces you to keep the car. It is extremely clean and is a reminder of what our GS300's looked like at their creation.

Last edited by kene; 11-23-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 09:13 AM
WAHusker
Driver School Candidate

Default labor cost to install 2jz-ge

kene - Did you install your JDM 2jz-ge yourself? If not, what did you pay for labor to have it installed? I assume you/they installed a new t-belt, water pump and seals and the same time but please tell. I'm considering buying a JDM motor for $795 I found near my house in Seattle but it looks a little dirty & has a small amount of salt water air corrosion (from sitting in the salvage yard in Japan or on the boat trip to the US?). It's also has a Toyota decal but I'm sure I could reuse my Lexus plastic covers/decals so it looks OE. Repair shops in Seattle are quoting about 20 hours labor @ $100/hr. to do a JDM swap. What's the going (labor) rate in California?
Old 11-25-13, 07:25 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

I would love to own this car and have it transported to NY.
Old 11-28-13, 01:53 PM
Felixmanx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WaGS300
I would appreciate some advice about my super clean GS with a bad head gasket. The GS has been family owned most of its life and has been very well maintained (including timing belts, regular oil changes, etc). It has a near perfect interior that was pulled out of a 1996 GS that was being parted out, near perfect exterior and a few tasteful updates. I’ve added GS430 wheels and brand new tires (245/40/18 Continental Pure Contact with about 3,000 miles on them – 70k mile warranty - http://goo.gl/9iuOH8). The car was professionally lowered with Vogtland springs and KYB struts for a total of about a 2” drop. We have 20 years’ worth of receipts, the original owner’s manual, etc. Every electrical component in the vehicle works perfectly, including sunroof, power seats, windows (all factory glass except the windshield, which is also brand new).
The car ran perfectly until Thursday, when a heater hose cracked and caused the engine to overheat and then caused the head gasket failure. With 264k miles, the engine isn’t likely worth the time/money to replace the head gasket (and I’m not mechanically savvy enough to do the job myself). I’m not sure that I want the expense or hassle of a new engine either.
I’m torn about getting rid of such a nice GS300 – you don’t clean examples often and I know it’s worth more than KBB indicates.
Any ideas about what I should do with it? Anyone out there need an excellent parts car or have a good engine that they could transplant into it? Or do you think I should simply part it out (sum of parts probably worth more than the whole)?
Thanks!

I'll give you $3000 for it as is.
Old 12-03-13, 10:25 PM
Titten
Driver

Hot dang! Pls! Pls! Pls don't listen to those fools suggesting you part it out. HG is easily fixed for under $1k, you'll be back on the road in no time.
Old 12-14-13, 09:32 AM
RustyDawwg
Driver School Candidate

I'd pull the motor and fix it. Thats a solid clean car, good luck ever finding one like that again. If you have anyone to help you out a cylinder head can be pulled in a matter of hours with the correct tools/helping hands. You can buy another used at a risk, keep in mind the mileage is inaccurate if you are not seeing the odometer of the car it came out of. There's nothing like having brand new parts in a old car

Quick Reply: Need Advice: SUPER nice GS with bad head gasket