GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

ele. radiator fan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 07:11 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ele. radiator fan?

i was wondering if this is possible or if anyone has converted to an ele. radiator fan?...the reason i wanna do this is for gas mileage. so if anyone has done this...what did you use....is there a kit i can buy?
Old 10-17-08, 08:09 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short answer, yes.

I have a Aristo swap, but it should be do-able regardless. I went to my local junkyard and cut the harness plugs off of a late-model Camry with electric fans. I mounted a 14" electric fan (no shroud) to the back of my radiator. Any unit from Summit Racing should do the trick. Now the part that may differ from a stock GS is here... on my harness I had an unused plug that was heavy gauge and clearly appears to be designed for an electric fan. The plug is on the drivers side near the bottom of the motor. It is switched off of the rad fan relay. I simply soldered the Camry plug onto the leads from my fan and plugged it in. Tada. Works great and uses the factory wiring logic. I can't figure out why that plug was there, however. The Aristo uses a fluid coupled fan off the water pump, and the condensor fan has its own plug.

Even if you can't wire it in like mine, any fan kit + relay kit + thermal switch should do the job.
Old 10-17-08, 09:01 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Yes! A few people that I know and have seen on here run the Supra radiators and dual electric fans.
I actually went this route when my radiator went bad. Got a Koyo Supra radiator and our AAP fan shroud kit. It comes with 2 electric fans and can easily be wired into the stock harness.

So I'm sure you can easily get, like Aaron said, any electric fan kit and make it work for the stock radiator. But how do you get better gas mileage by convering over to electric fans?

Here is how the Supra rad and fan shroud kit looks!
Old 10-17-08, 10:37 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

turning the fan takes HP away...so that means it takes power in general. if you get rid of having to turn that fan via belts and fluid clutch...you free up power which makes it easier on the engine...better gas mileage...i do alot of city driving so it would help a ton! and i also know for a fact on big diesel trucks run a fan off the belt with the fluid clutch (just alot bigger) that it takes up to 100hp to run that fan when it kicks in.

in short, less power you draw from the engine the more hp and gas mileage you gain...but i just wanna do it for gas mileage. all the 06 up Lexus use ele. power steering to free up more power...
Old 10-18-08, 02:29 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWidow
Yes! A few people that I know and have seen on here run the Supra radiators and dual electric fans.
I actually went this route when my radiator went bad. Got a Koyo Supra radiator and our AAP fan shroud kit. It comes with 2 electric fans and can easily be wired into the stock harness.

So I'm sure you can easily get, like Aaron said, any electric fan kit and make it work for the stock radiator. But how do you get better gas mileage by convering over to electric fans?
my radiator is going bad soon so i think ill go that route too, but where can i get those aap fan kits?
Old 10-22-08, 05:44 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yusef
my radiator is going bad soon so i think ill go that route too, but where can i get those aap fan kits?
Just let me know when you are ready and I can take care of that for you.

We have two different kinds, one is unpolished which is a little cheaper and the other is a polished one.
Old 10-22-08, 07:37 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

is it a drop in type deal your talkin? like no special brackets or anything right? and how did you wiring it up? did you have to use a relay and temp sensor? or is there a way to let the computer turn it on and off? like uses algorithms?
Old 10-22-08, 07:56 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWidow
Just let me know when you are ready and I can take care of that for you.

We have two different kinds, one is unpolished which is a little cheaper and the other is a polished one.
ok, should be within the next 200 or so miles. can you pm me a price?