GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

older gs300 reliability questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 09:49 AM
bflan2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default older gs300 reliability questions

i just crashed my car (a first generation A4) and i'm looking for a replacement. unfortunately my car is not covered under insurance so my budget is very limited. i've been looking at hondas because they're cheap but after driving an audi for two years i can't stand the honda interiors now...they feel like toys..anyway, i'm starting to look into the V6 gs300s. this doesn't happen to be the same v6 they use in the camry, is it? are there any common issues i need to look out for on higher mileage GS's? A4s like mine are notorious for having control arm & cruise control issues, anything like that?

TIA
-B
Old 12-23-06, 10:35 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

There is no V6 GS300. They are in line 6 2JZ-GE engines.
Old 12-23-06, 11:38 AM
bflan2001
Driver School Candidate

my mistake, inline 6....so, is this inline 6 a reliable engine? are there any issues with the car in general i should look out for?
Old 12-23-06, 02:36 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say the GS 300 older generation is about 4 times built with better quality than any Audi on the market.
Old 12-23-06, 04:28 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

The in line 6 cylinders is cast from the same mold that the Toyota Supra engine for 93-98 is cast from. There are 7 main caps and 12 counterweights on the crank. The rods are good to about 750 rwhp and the pistons do not any failures that I am aware of. There is a substantial aftermarket for this engine as well. The limiting factor for the GE is the transmission which will do about 325 rwhp before you start banging the rev limiter between shifts. There are trans upgrades.
As far as things to look for when purchasing, the leaky power steering pump is what I find most common. The outside window trims tend to seperate after a number of years and that can be a costly repair. The seams for the seats start to unthread and the wood veneer can be cracked. All repairable. The motor is solid.
Old 12-24-06, 10:41 AM
1stgenGSb
Pole Position

i agree, my dorm-mate had a first gen A4 and he had a lot of problems with it, ive gone through two first gen GS300's and when i sold the first one it had 290,000 miles on it, and it ran like new, i now have one with 150,000 and it runs even better than new , and i got it for just under 5 grand, for the money, you cant beat these cars
Old 12-24-06, 03:24 PM
gs300pnp

1st Gen's are extremely reliable. The only issue I have with the 1st gen is many of the suspension parts specally the front are very expensive.

As for engine, tranny all very reliable... if you consider rebuiling one, the engine master rebuild kit is just under $300.00.. You'll need to purchase new rings. Engine block prep around $450.00. You'll want to replace your engine mounts they will leak.. OE is rubber and has oil in it. upgrade to the MKIII engine mount they are the same height and cost just a few dollars more than the OE mount. Tranny, you can buy a high performance one for around $1800.00 .

The window trim specially the driver side gets warpped. These are very expensive also...

I wanted to mention the above so that you clearly aware mechanical parts are easily obtained and reasonable price.. suspension mainly front upper control arms are expensive but don't go out often and still available and body stuff can be pricy.

The 1st gen's are nicer than the 2nd Gen. however the 2nd Gen there are more body parts and seem to be cheaper than the 1st Gen. More body kits too.

You really have to be passionate about the 1st gen like myself and many others on the CL forum.. they are great cars I have two of them. Silver and Gold one (w/72Kmiles in almost OE mint condition)

Other Lexus I'd consider if the 1st Gen GS can't be found...
Lexus IS300, SC300 and SC400.

I also have an IS300 sportscross that my I bought for my wife. I like the tuned supension and handling on the IS. but its too small for me. If I didn't have my Gs300, I would have modified either an SC300 or IS300 but lean more on the IS300 because the parts are easy to get and you have lots of options and also can find a manual one...
Old 01-12-07, 02:52 AM
GSmooth
Driver School Candidate

Comming from personal exprience,.. these cars have the ability to cost you an ungodly amount of money. Service and parts cost a ton and hardely any mechanics besides Lexus know how to fix them properly if something goes wrong. In short, a lot has gone wrong with my 93 GS since i bought it with about 160,000 miles and I am constantly wondering if i made a mistake in buying it in the first place. Basically you have to be in love with the style of the car if you plan on buying one with high miles.
Old 01-12-07, 06:29 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I've got a 93' with 225K miles and no problems here, she still runs great
Old 01-12-07, 07:34 AM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 215100 miles on my baby and still looking great and running even better.
Old 01-12-07, 11:40 AM
JonCAGS300
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have a '94 with 146k miles on it. Runs/looks great. Has some typical repairs common for the mileage, but much more reliable than other cars I've owned with fewer miles. Had a Saab 900 Turbo with lots of mods. Darn thing broke down all the time compared to the GS300. Older GS300's are a great deal: lot's of high quality car for little money. Find a reputable independent mechanic if you are worried about repair costs. I have a good independent Toyota/Lexus mechanic who charges half that of the dealer.
Old 01-12-07, 12:53 PM
pitchblaq
Rookie

I also have not had any problems with my 93GS300 and it has 176,000 on it.
I purchased it in 94 and it still looks and run like its brand new.
No matter where I go I receive nothing but compliments on that car.
I also had a 86Audi 5000 and even though that Audi was impressive they way it drove and felt, It does not compare to the GS300.
I wound up selling my Audi to SED-GEE from ULTRAMAGNETIC EMCEES.
Old 02-24-07, 06:26 AM
pizzle
Rookie

I just came across this thread while searching another topic. I just wanted to say that I had a '98 A4 2.8 quattro and I LOVED that car. The handling was unreal. I modded it with a S4 springs/shocks. The only issue I had with it was the expense in maintaining the car mechanically.

I now own a '96 GS300 with 145K miles on it and I think I've got a MUCH more reliable car than my Audi, which had around 90K on it. Of course, the driving dynamic is totally different (at least in my opinion), but all in all, the GS is a great car! I'll be hard-pressed to give this one up and will likely end up holding on to it, if for no other reason than to mod it out. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-26-07, 03:08 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Default Great car!

my 94 gs300 has a hair-short of 330K miles (original motor). My car runs great for the mileage and the year.

Other members have pretty much pointed out the major mechanical issues.

if previous owner took good care of the car, it should not give you much problem. I take my car in to the shop for oil change on time and for regularly scheduled maintenance.

Or, you could put in a twin turbo supra engine in it.

Every experience is unique, but I would say that POSITIVE experience with 1st gen gs300 seems to be the norm.

Good luck.

If you are interested in HIGH mileage 1st gen GS300, let me know. I might sell it for a LS430.
Old 02-26-07, 03:47 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Default ..

I have a 94 GS300 with 125,000 and i love it! Got it last year with about 110,00 on it and only drives it when the weather is ok. Im in the process of modding it out slowly. A nd as far as parts cost goes..I look at it as driving a MB or BMW...you have to pay to play..if cost is a issuse think about getting a old school buick park ave or chevy caprice..lol..j/k

Quick Reply: older gs300 reliability questions