GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

japan vs. U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 05:05 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default japan vs. U.S.

Do you think that guys over in japan with aristo's are hunting for usdm parts to convert their cars into a Lexus or do you think its just guys over here that want to be different?? I just think its funny how people want what they dont have sometimes.
Old 11-06-06, 05:31 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need a network. in my hyper rev mag there are TONS of "Lexus Aristos" and "Vertex" GS300s.. the Lexus emblems are sold in the mag too.. and they arent cheap.
Old 11-06-06, 06:16 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

i do notice a few aristos that are lexus badged. some are newer lexus but most are just old toyotas . i do see the IS badged more here. i guess altezza is not that cool a name, the cars rock though. i dont see the big deal. i mean a real aristo is RSD but a lexus that you can keep till your ready to move on is better than the aristo that i get to keep for 3 years then have to sell because of vehicle rules between the US/Japan. plus the USDM Lex has leather but most of the Aristos have clothe....
Old 11-06-06, 06:21 AM
skeet94
Driver

If you go look over on Yahoo Auctions Japan you'll notice quite a lot of V300's rebadged as Lexus GS300/400/430's. I guess they wanted the Lexus exclusivity over there, where in the US/UK people want the JDM exclusivity .
Old 11-06-06, 04:31 PM
gs300pnp

Originally Posted by skeet94
If you go look over on Yahoo Auctions Japan you'll notice quite a lot of V300's rebadged as Lexus GS300/400/430's. I guess they wanted the Lexus exclusivity over there, where in the US/UK people want the JDM exclusivity .
Isn't that funny...lol...

Lexus is not a recognized brand in Japan. Also heard that more and more Japanese want German cars for prestige specially BMW's.

Pretty soon, we'll see BMW's modded and drifting in Japan... have you seen that new 3-Series - Turbo Charged! The Germans have been good with Turbo charging specially with desiels and with many US consumers turbo'ing their Asian cars and making them AMG, M3 and M5 killers they got smart and are finally doing something about it. The coming years should be interesting with turbo'd car's.
Old 11-06-06, 08:28 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, the Lexus emblems on some of those cars where included in a special edition Lexus trim for 97+ Aristo, Soarer, Harrier, and the other big lexus... Anyways, the VIP has always been there and the Japanese has always liked the BMW's , Mercedes and 'Poruses' for prestige products BUT it's pretty much like how we like them here. German cars will never replace the niche that the Japanese Luxury cars have in japanese culture. The VIP style, as a matter of fact, is growing so much that since 2003 japanese motor companies, specially Toyota/Lexus, started adding some of the aftermarket VIP parts to their models. An example of this is the LED rear lights as an option in various models, the chrome handles, the rear automatic window visor, the automatic suspension setup and some other things more. As a Lexus tech of some years and as a toyota fan (I work on an exclusive Lexus body shop and have worked in Presicion Toyota of Tucson in the parts departament), I had the oppurtunity to talk to japanese and american engineers and product designers and they have said that the company when looking for upgrades and ideas, usually looks at how VIP people modify their cars, evaluate the idea and see if it is functional and try to implement it on their new model. Well, still this is my opinion and I am not trying to make anyone look like an *** or something! So, all in all, this are my .02.

Last edited by jmax.garage; 11-06-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 04:33 PM
gs300pnp

You're right about the VIP taking ground especially for the LS and SC series. Auto enthusiasm varies greatly and what it boils down to is personal preference, ones passion and how far you’re willing to go to make your dreams come true and at whatever costs. My daily driver has a JDM VIP look, simple wheel upgrade and it achieves the VIP look. I’ll post it as soon as I can fix my upload rights.

Peace!
Originally Posted by kidzik007
I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, the Lexus emblems on some of those cars where included in a special edition Lexus trim for 97+ Aristo, Soarer, Harrier, and the other big lexus... Anyways, the VIP has always been there and the Japanese has always liked the BMW's , Mercedes and 'Poruses' for prestige products BUT it's pretty much like how we like them here. German cars will never replace the niche that the Japanese Luxury cars have in japanese culture. The VIP style, as a matter of fact, is growing so much that since 2003 japanese motor companies, specially Toyota/Lexus, started adding some of the aftermarket VIP parts to their models. An example of this is the LED rear lights as an option in various models, the chrome handles, the rear automatic window visor, the automatic suspension setup and some other things more. As a Lexus tech of some years and as a toyota fan (I work on an exclusive Lexus body shop and have worked in Presicion Toyota of Tucson in the parts departament), I had the oppurtunity to talk to japanese and american engineers and product designers and they have said that the company when looking for upgrades and ideas, usually looks at how VIP people modify their cars, evaluate the idea and see if it is functional and try to implement it on their new model. Well, still this is my opinion and I am not trying to make anyone look like an *** or something! So, all in all, this are my .02.