GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Gas!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 01:20 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAristo
When I drove to HIN San Jose from my house I got there and it was below the 1/4th. If I recall I was able to get 390 miles out of a full tank with 90% highway driving.

City and highway I get about 330-360 on a full tank with all my mods as well.

Filled up yesterday and it cost me 3.41 for chevron 91.
If you fill up right before you hit empty your probably putting between 19 and 20 gallons right? So your pretty much getting between 18 and 19 MPG, which is about right. Im guessing you dont drive it hard? I put my foot in it every now and then and Im getting about 19mpg right now. I need to get my 90,000 mile service, hopefully a tune-up will help.
Old 05-04-06, 08:49 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i'm on a hwy trip, i pull into the gas station right after the low fuel light comes on.. you usually have about another 50 miles or maybe more if you push it. i fill it to the brim and it has never been over 17.3x gallons.. that means i still had 3.x gallons in the tank. now divide the amount of miles since last fillup, by the # of gallons you just put in.. voila.. fuel mileage. i'm averaging 22-23 mpg cruising and not cruising...hehehe
Old 05-04-06, 09:17 AM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

19 or 20 gallons? WTF!?!?!?
my tank was 17 something in my GS

oh hey jeff can you help me with my 240 gauges? the wiring is um not right and I have no lights at night, so I use a flashlight to check my speed *is there a ghetto emote?*
Old 05-04-06, 09:20 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default 95 Gs300

My gas light has gone on once and that was pushin it. When i filled up, i only got 17.5 gallons so what does that tell me, i believe i only have a 18 gallon fuel tank. NOT a 21 gallon. Anyone care to opinionate???

How bad is it for your car to run out of gas??
Old 05-04-06, 02:24 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

the tank is 21.1 gallons.. says so in the owners manual. the low fuel light comes on when you have a very few gallons left.. usually less than 4, this is designed to alert you in time to get to a gas pump. You will NEVER use all of the 21.1 gallons the tank can hold.. it is almost an impossibility, and you are really pushing your luck if you ever fill up and have to put in 20 gallons.
Old 05-04-06, 08:43 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Is it bad for your car to run out of gas??
Old 05-04-06, 11:36 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Is it bad for your car to run out of gas??
not in normal circumstances, but at the track at high revs and under heavy cornering fuel starvation can be REALLY bad, all the sudden the car just stops mid whatever. Oil starvation is REALLY fun too.
Old 05-05-06, 08:18 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so on my way home from school I decided to fill up. I still had a 1/4 of a tank left, but thats when I usually fill up so I went ahead and stopped. Then as I was gettin out the car, I was like hey, CL. So I decided to take a couple pictures for you guys and girls.
First one is my ODO right as I was gettin out the car before fillin up.

Not bad right...273.5 miles.
Now for how many gallons it took.

Anyway, I was excited to see how many mpg that was...19.3
Thought yall mind find this as good as I did. BTW, My driving habits havent changed, I still drive like I always did, but now I have my exhaust and the intake I need to finish, as of right now its just a filter attached to my MAF..soon to be a CAI. Thats another project for another day.
Old 05-05-06, 05:28 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

not bad, now pickup an SAFC2 or some other piggyback, put it in the hands of a capable tuner on a dyno and yank the stock air/fuel ratio outta the dirt to a power friendly 13:1 and you'll see power AND mileage.
Old 05-05-06, 05:31 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

oh.. if you DO run your car out of gas, you may want to change the fuel filters. There is one on the pump in the tank, and one in front of the driver's rear wheel well. The reason why is that in the bottom of any fuel tank with a few years on it is sediment and just crud.. if you run the tank that low, it will be pulled off the bottom along with what little gas it can scavenge.

Just a thought.
Old 05-05-06, 08:36 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Epik
not bad, now pickup an SAFC2 or some other piggyback, put it in the hands of a capable tuner on a dyno and yank the stock air/fuel ratio outta the dirt to a power friendly 13:1 and you'll see power AND mileage.
Yeah, im tryin to pick up an SAFC2 thats why Im selling my 440cc injectors.
Old 05-07-06, 04:58 AM
LexTE
Driver School Candidate

My 95 gets roughly 350mi per tank with city driving, while I have gotten 450 on all highway. My 95 Tacoma has an 18 gallon tank, consuming 325 mi per tank, normal driving. The truck uses a lot of gas too, but given the comparison, it is more beneficial to use the truck as my daily driver. I may drive the Lex 2-3 times a month. I love having a garage!
Old 05-07-06, 09:19 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Abear
Yeah, im tryin to pick up an SAFC2 thats why Im selling my 440cc injectors.
What will this SAFC2 piggyback super air fuel ratio converter do for my car. What kinda improvement would I see?

260$ = 83 gallons = 1700 miles!! Is it worth it??
Old 05-07-06, 10:39 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
My gas light has gone on once and that was pushin it. When i filled up, i only got 17.5 gallons so what does that tell me, i believe i only have a 18 gallon fuel tank. NOT a 21 gallon. Anyone care to opinionate???

How bad is it for your car to run out of gas??
Trust me, it's bigger than 18....I run it to the fumes every time, just out of sheer laziness, and I've put 19.5-20 gallons in it SEVERAL times, I think Lexus just does that as a trick! I guess they don't want people to see their cars on the side of the road no matter what, lol.....It's actually the first car I've ever owned that I haven't run out of gas with....

As far as mileage, I can't believe this crap, I get 250 MAX to a FULL tank, and that's highway driving! Of course, I do keep my foot planted firmly on the accelerator everywhere I go, but that's still a HUGE deviation.
Old 05-07-06, 10:57 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shoaf213
Trust me, it's bigger than 18....I run it to the fumes every time, just out of sheer laziness, and I've put 19.5-20 gallons in it SEVERAL times, I think Lexus just does that as a trick! I guess they don't want people to see their cars on the side of the road no matter what, lol.....It's actually the first car I've ever owned that I haven't run out of gas with....
Thats a very good point, i don't think i've ever seen a lexus on the side of the road b4!

Originally Posted by shoaf213
As far as mileage, I can't believe this crap, I get 250 MAX to a FULL tank, and that's highway driving! Of course, I do keep my foot planted firmly on the accelerator everywhere I go, but that's still a HUGE deviation.
Dude, thats kind of a given, if u keep your foot planted on the gas, well then what do you expect. I used to get 100 miles to half a tank of gas when my brakes used to stick, 3 of 4 of em. 14 15 mpg!! Replaced all 4 calipers, pads and shoes and now i get 180 per half (On a good day ) 20, 21 mpg. Do a tune up and i'm sure it'll get better.

Quick Reply: Gas!!