Great Lakes For events in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

BEWARE tint shop in Naperville, IL

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 10:53 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to pass along my experience. You can take it for what it's worth. I recently had the windows on my SC300 tinted. I went to the local Ziebart on Ogden Ave. I paid $272 and some change out the door. I knew I was paying alot, but figured it was more convenient than going out of my way.
The owner's wife was there and she was pretty nice. Her husband owned a C5 Z06, and I also own a C5 Coupe, so I gave her some references to places they could take their Z06 to. I also gave her some leads for their car. She was pretty cool. Her brother-in-law was there also, and we didn't hit it off as well. He owns a black WS6 T/A and came off as pretty cocky whenever I asked him about stuff.
Anyways, I get my SC back after the tint job and immediately saw a pretty bad job done on the rear windshield along the defrost lines. There was just too much space that didn't adhere to the lines. I immediately asked Terry, the owner's wife to come out and take a look. She agreed, and said give it a couple of days and if it did not improve, come back and they'll fix it. Well, a week later, I give Terry a call and she said no problem, bring it by. The morning I bring it by, I noticed 2 points where there were gash marks on the interior next to the windows. I never noticed this before so I call up Terry. She was off that day and I get the brother-in-law, Kevin. He says, "how can you know we did it?" we go back and forth, and he ends up hanging up on me. I get to the shop and the manager sees the tint job and refuses to do anything about it. I also point out the many spots where there was hair and junk trapped between the window and tint. He said that it was an acceptable level of quality and that they could not improve it. He goes on to say that I signed an agreement saying I knew that on the bill. Sure, I can accept some dust, but damn it there was hair and god knows what else trapped their that made me think they didn't spend much effort cleaning the windows beforehand. I tell him that I can literally push the tint closer to the defrost lines, but he still refuses. I argue back and forth with him and finally get him to call the tinter. The tinter sees it and says he can try. 15 minutes later, the tinter improves it significantly. The Manager now acts like he didn't say what he did.
I get home and end up improving the tint myself with a wet, soft cloth and push the tint closer to the defrost lines.
I tell you, for $272.xx, this sure is not what I would expect. Once they make the sale, you are on your own. They suck in my opinion. I have 5 cars, and I like tint. They will not be seeing one red penny from me again. Hopefully you folks will not run into any problems, but that Ziebart sells other stuff that I would be afraid to buy from them b/c of their *****ty support and service. Their Managers (Paul and Scott) suck, the owner's brother suck. And I never heard back from Terry, the owners wife.
Never again.

Last edited by mdfdsc300; 08-08-01 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-08-01, 01:00 PM
CDALTON
Driver

Whats up mdfdsc300? I also have taken my SC to the Ziebart on Ogden ave. I will look at my recipt and see what I paid to get my three windows done. My tint turned out pretty good, but one thing I notice was "Overspray." I had washed my car just a day before I took my car in. After getting the tint done, I noticed a overspray feel over my rear passenger quarter. First thing I thought of was Ziebart. Maybe some overspray from undercoating? I dont know how they have the shop set up. Is there some jagoff undercoating 10 feet away from a guy doing tint? With you they lost a good potential customer. I will let you know about the recipt. Take care!
Old 08-08-01, 07:17 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Cool How's it going Chad?

get that TC in yet?
My major complaint about that Ziebart is the lack of customer service and professionalism there. I bought some accessories from them for the truck and wasn't happy back then. I should have learned my lesson, but decided to give them another chance. Shame on me.
Fact of the matter is, with the exception of Terry, all those "Management" are a bunch of idiots w/ attitude that will probably end up doing that for the rest of their life and considering it the height of their life's endeavor. Can you tell I'm pissed? It's their treatment and downright imaturity that turns me off.
I've got my Q45t, with more windows, tinted for cheaper and would go so far as saying it's quality and service is 10x better than that from that Ziebart. I ought to write a letter to that chain.
Take it from me, for the $$$ they make you pay, you can go elsewhere and get a better job and better treatment.
Let me know if you need references. I found this guy who does tint for much cheaper. I've seen his work and he takes his time b/c he is a small independent guy. He does alot of show cars. I'm getting my C5 corvette done by him soon. I also know another guy who owns another Ziebart and can do undercoating, etc.
Man, why pay someone so much $$ only to get ****ty service and poor quality? There are alot of alternatives out there. I only wished I had some references at the time I was looking.

Last edited by mdfdsc300; 08-08-01 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-28-01, 06:39 PM
dj_trancid
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

now i know where NOT to go.