EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

charging an ev in below freezing weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 10:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,756 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

I went to a funeral this summer while I was in SoCal, and the temps were in the mid 90's. All the people that came in Tesla's (and 1 Rivian) had their AC's running the whole time so when they got back their cars they were already cool. EV's use very efficient AC compressors and heat pumps that use very minimal battery
Waste heat is nice in the winter but running A/C in an ICE car is hugely inefficient. Toyota hybrids are better the compressor is electric, but ultimately the gas engine is the power source.

Another plus for EVs is they can heat or cool the cabin no matter where they are parked.
Old 12-15-22, 10:43 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from Lake Tahoe during a major blizzard last week and saw a ton of Tesla's. I was shocked to see so many charging stations in the middle of nowhere in Northlake Tahoe, like it or not EV's aren't going anywhere.
Old 12-15-22, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How does this remotely worry you? Do you own a house that has a wall that you can install a charger on? You can also keep your gas car, and have an EV as well. Problem solved.
i didn't say it 'worried me' and it's not about me. and yes, i'm aware of those options since they've only been posted thousands of times.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For one, most people charge at their home overnight so they don't routinely have to charge while they are out and about,
oh really? i must have missed the 5000 times that's been posted on cl.

For two you just sit in the car with the heat on.
i've got better things to do that sit in a warm car for 20+ minutes.

An EV is not like a gas car in that you can't run it while its charging, its like using your phone while its plugged in.
oh really? not that i want this to be another gas vs ev thread (that WASN'T the point and i never mentioned gas cars), i frequently gas up my vehicles while they're running if a passenger needs heat/ac.

Originally Posted by Kense
like it or not EV's aren't going anywhere.
of course. that wasn't the point of the thread.

instead of getting defensive or calling people imbeciles, can't everyone agree that ev charging when on a trip is too slow even if the owner doesn't do it too often?
Old 12-15-22, 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
instead of getting defensive or calling people imbeciles, can't everyone agree that ev charging when on a trip is too slow even if the owner doesn't do it too often?
I totally agree. I would love charging to be 10 minutes or less. It's one of the adoptions sacrifices we have to make. But as you can see from the number of EV's being sold and the number of Tesla's on the road, it's an inconvenience we totally accept. I wouldn't go back in a million years

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-15-22 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 10:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

i frequently gas up my vehicles while they're running if a passenger needs heat/ac.
This is against federal law I'm surprised any gas station would let you do this they can get in big trouble allowing it.
Old 12-15-22, 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is against federal law I'm surprised any gas station would let you do this they can get in big trouble allowing it.
LOL there's no way a minimum wage store clerk is going to come out into the cold and make you shut off your engine
Old 12-15-22, 11:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL there's no way a minimum wage store clerk is going to come out into the cold and make you shut off your engine
Here they will tell you via speaker, if you keep the engine running they shut off the pump. You probably forgot how gas stations work lol
Old 12-15-22, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,900 Posts

i
oh really? i must have missed the 5000 times that's been posted on cl.
Clearly you must have or you wouldn't have posted something so silly, quite frankly.

i've got better things to do that sit in a warm car for 20+ minutes.
Better than standing out in the cold for 20 minutes which was the whole point of what you posted. Nobody would ever do that nor do they need to.

oh really? not that i want this to be another gas vs ev thread (that WASN'T the point and i never mentioned gas cars), i frequently gas up my vehicles while they're running if a passenger needs heat/ac.
Thats illegal and very dangerous.

of course. that wasn't the point of the thread.
The issue is not the thread, its this comment:

the issue wasn't charging being slower in cold weather (it didn't seem to be), it's the thought of being outside, or some gas station convenience store in FRIGID weather for more than 20 minutes.
That makes no sense because you have a heated car right there you would sit in

I didn't call anybody an imbecile, but the whole concept of that comment is ridiculous, because its something that would never be necessary. Everybody here is smart enough to not stand out in the freezing cold for 20 minutes while their car charges. If I recall when I mentioned in the other thread that I had to get out and pump gas in the cold and I looked forward to not having to do that again you told me I should just go sit in the car.

Its like standing in the rain waiting for a bus next to a covered bench and complaining that waiting for a bus in the rain is horrible.

Do I think 20 minutes is too long to charge an EV in the rare occasion it has to be charged out on the road? Honestly...no I don't.

This thread is just flamebait, and its closure was a foregone conclusion when you posted it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-15-22 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 11:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thats illegal and very dangerous.
We
I honestly never knew it was illegal. I remember a friend of mine and I were out. He had intermittent starting problems. So he gassed up with the motor running.

I remember a long time ago. Someone pulled up next to me, pulled out their Jerry can and started to pump gas….he had a smoke dangling from his mouth. 1980s. Boy do I miss that decade

Old 12-15-22, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Clearly you must have or you wouldn't have posted something so silly, quite frankly.
This thread is just flamebait, and its closure was a foregone conclusion when you posted it.
thank you for your input. you didn't have to contribute and post here then with inflammatory comments.
Old 12-15-22, 11:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 925 Likes on 739 Posts

C'mon, why you wanna trash someone thread.

Old 12-15-22, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
C'mon, why you wanna trash someone thread.
Because these EV threads are becoming a nightmare, and if we don't be selective about what we post we're going to wind up not being allowed to discuss EVs.
Old 12-15-22, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

thank you for your input. you didn't have to contribute and post here then with inflammatory comments.
The thread is not the issue, its absurd statements within the thread like "people have to stand out in the freezing cold or hang out in a convenience store for 20 minutes while their EV charges" that draw angry responses that create the problem. Thats disinformation, its not true.
Old 12-15-22, 11:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This is not meant to be ICE vs EV. I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I have no interest in debating this particular point. The Polestar forum has probably nearly 100K members (according to the mods who run it), with 16.M daily views. I would imagine the Tesla forums have 5 to 10 times those numbers. The Polestar forum is a mixture of people from all over the world, mostly European owners with a large number of North Americans (Canada and the US). The majority of Polestar owners were previous owners of ICE vehicles, and some even currently own both (like an SUV or minivan). From my experiences with Tesla owners, it's about the same, most came from ICE vehicles and many still own both. I know forum members tend to be very enthusiastic about the current vehicles they own, but if you were to Poll both forums asking them if they would go back to ICE, you would get an overwhelming no. This is factoring in driving in cold temps, charging for 20 minutes in the cold while travelling, and range. The vast majority would not go back. In fact an Axios poll showed that 65.3 percent of EV owner bought another one

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/05/ev-...-electric-cars

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-15-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 11:49 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 380 Likes on 260 Posts

What Tesla forums do you read? I sometimes read teslamotorsclub.com, are there any larger ones?

Quick Reply: charging an ev in below freezing weather