EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid Road Test Review: The new American muscle sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 06:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure which hate you're referring to, the Plaid is an amazing engineering feat. my only 2 complaints are obviously build problems and the stupid yoke (with variable ratio steering at least).
I misinterpreted something posted earlier....
Old 08-17-22, 07:11 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 449 Likes on 312 Posts

Tesla encroaches on (and dominates) car talk everywhere. Many struggle with that; it can seem overwhelming, especially to ICE purists.
Mr Eberhard and then Musk have changed the world and there is no going back.

A 9 second quarter mile family sedan you can buy for $150K? That is an insane statement.
Wait for the Roadster 2...

Old 08-17-22, 07:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure which hate you're referring to, the Plaid is an amazing engineering feat. my only 2 complaints are obviously build problems and the stupid yoke (with variable ratio steering at least).
just swap it out. Or even better, glue a piece of something to the top
Old 08-17-22, 07:17 PM
mikamica
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I get it. But just to let you know you can skip the threads here that don't interest you and join ones that do. Or create one Lexus related. I found that the 2nd gen IS forum was good for finding specific information like the latest mods, getting part numbers, or instructions on maintenance items, but not for general discussion, which is why I come here
I do frequent the 7th gen ES thread quite a bit because I picked up a ‘22 in December. I had ordered and canceled a Model 3 long range because of the ubiquity of them, poor build quality and tablet-only interface. I’m really looking forward to more EV options, not because of fuel costs, but for overall performance. I truly hope for solid state batteries, lighter overall vehicle weight, and more options from legacy automakers.
Old 08-17-22, 07:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikamica
I do frequent the 7th gen ES thread quite a bit because I picked up a ‘22 in December. I had ordered and canceled a Model 3 long range because of the ubiquity of them, poor build quality and tablet-only interface. I’m really looking forward to more EV options, not because of fuel costs, but for overall performance. I truly hope for solid state batteries, lighter overall vehicle weight, and more options from legacy automakers.
You can't go wrong with a 22 ES! I also skipped the Model 3 and bought a Polestar 2 instead, not as efficient, but more comfortable and excellent build quality. But I still have a ton of respect for Tesla. And if it weren't for that horrible yoke... and the lack of $130k in my bank account, I would probably have a Plaid in my driveway. But yes, there are so many Tesla's out here that I sometimes wonder how many people walk up to the wrong car and try to get in
Old 08-17-22, 07:43 PM
mikamica
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Polestar has a much nicer interior than Tesla, that’s for sure.
Old 08-17-22, 08:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

I rarely see any refreshed Model S’ around me but I do see a ton of 3’s and Y’s around. I have only seen one refreshed Model X on a delivery truck that happened to be a Plaid. I like having something a little different and the refreshed S gives me that…for now.

I also have to say once you go EV it really is hard to go back to ICE and it’s something I can’t really explain. As many issues the new S has, I would still pick it over an ICE car even though it is not luxurious and the build quality is crap compared to what I was looking at. It just drives so well and I wish I could explain it better but I can’t and until you own one you wouldn’t really get it.

I read the article and the only thing I disagree with is the turn signals are anything but intelligent. Sure it turns off by itself when changing lanes but it also turns off when you hit the turn signal button and then get into a turning lane so then you have to hit the turn signal button again to turn it back on.
Old 08-17-22, 08:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I rarely see any refreshed Model S’ around me but I do see a ton of 3’s and Y’s around. I have only seen one refreshed Model X on a delivery truck that happened to be a Plaid. I like having something a little different and the refreshed S gives me that…for now.

I also have to say once you go EV it really is hard to go back to ICE and it’s something I can’t really explain. As many issues the new S has, I would still pick it over an ICE car even though it is not luxurious and the build quality is crap compared to what I was looking at. It just drives so well and I wish I could explain it better but I can’t and until you own one you wouldn’t really get it.

I read the article and the only thing I disagree with is the turn signals are anything but intelligent. Sure it turns off by itself when changing lanes but it also turns off when you hit the turn signal button and then get into a turning lane so then you have to hit the turn signal button again to turn it back on.
It can easily be explained. It's 1:1 input to result, extremely direct control over the motive forces. Issue I have with them is the entirety of the rest of the experience is sub par and the thing is emotionless.

It's like firing a quick cycling comped top of its class race pistol vs a normal one. Its technically perfect but lacks any character and they all feel identical impulse wise at that level since uniform balanced recoil guns all behave exactly the same from a felt recoil and sight tracking perspective.

Same thing with EVs and how they respond to inputs, you will never spin a wheel, exceed traction limit, have to time power application, or dance with the machine. It's just another digital device. No variety and no excitement, gets old after 20 min of driving and they all feel exactly the same once you drive one. Just different amounts of felt Gs and you will never make one truly custom to you
Old 08-17-22, 08:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The turn signals and the yoke are just Elons way of giving everyone the bird! But seriously I also don't know how to explain to non EV drivers, they just won't believe me. It's like I'm lying to them. Even my own brothers just shook their head at me when I brought my Polestar to SoCal and the non ending jokes asking me if I carried extra Duracell's. I finally let my younger brother drive a few months back, and he kept purposely missing the turns so he could extend the drive. Than he kept hitting the throttle hard, he couldn't get enough of the instant torque.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my brother in law is on his second Model S lease, even with all the quality issues, lack of basic luxury etc. He could have brought anything from Mercedes to BMW, but he told me he'll never buy and doesn't want anything else. I'm pretty sure if I ever drive a Plaid, I would forget about the yoke, turn signals and other annoying stuff pretty quickly
Old 08-17-22, 08:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
It can easily be explained. It's 1:1 input to result, extremely direct control over the motive forces. Issue I have with them is the entirety of the rest of the experience is sub par and the thing is emotionless.

It's like firing a quick cycling comped top of its class race pistol vs a normal one. Its technically perfect but lacks any character and they all feel identical impulse wise at that level since uniform balanced recoil guns all behave exactly the same from a felt recoil and sight tracking perspective.

Same thing with EVs and how they respond to inputs, you will never spin a wheel, exceed traction limit, have to time power application, or dance with the machine. It's just another digital device. No variety and no excitement, gets old after 20 min of driving and they all feel exactly the same once you drive one. Just different amounts of felt Gs and you will never make one truly custom to you
You just proved what he said in that non EV drivers don't understand EV'S until they have lived with them. As someone who transitioned from ice to EV, EV is a better experience. I'll leave it at that

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-17-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I rarely see any refreshed Model S’ around me but I do see a ton of 3’s and Y’s around.
same here, i've actually not seen 1 refreshed model s.

i believe it. ev drivetrains, especially tesla, are a game changer. who wants gear shifts and uneven throttle response when you have major linear quiet power? as for the problems, anyone can overlook/rationalize anything but respectfully i just couldn't shell out so much money no matter how fast with the build problems you've experienced. i guess i just don't need or even want that kind of acceleration.

i suspect tesla sells TINY numbers of S/X at this point.
Old 08-17-22, 08:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

There is some truth to that and I agree for a weekend fun car it would be ICE for me every day but for a daily driver, I’ll take the EV every day.

The turn signals and the yoke are just Elons way of giving everyone the bird! But seriously I also don't know how to explain to non EV drivers, they just won't believe me. It's like I'm lying to them. Even my own brothers just shook their head at me when I brought my Polestar to SoCal and the non ending jokes asking me if I carried extra Duracell's. I finally let my younger brother drive a few months back, and he kept purposely missing the turns so he could extend the drive. Than he kept hitting the throttle hard, he couldn't get enough of the instant torque.
The article was spot on with regards to the yoke, it is great resting your hand on the flat part while driving and when you use a normal wheel it’s almost uncomfortable because it’s not flat; however for the 10% of times where you have to make more than one revolution or if you are in a dangerous situation it sucks or just dangerous.

As for test driving EVs, I don’t think one can fully understand until they own it day in/day out. In my test drive of the Model 3P i really wasn’t all that impressed, I needed more time with it.
Old 08-17-22, 08:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There is some truth to that and I agree for a weekend fun car it would be ICE for me every day but for a daily driver, I’ll take the EV every day.

The article was spot on with regards to the yoke, it is great resting your hand on the flat part while driving and when you use a normal wheel it’s almost uncomfortable because it’s not flat; however for the 10% of times where you have to make more than one revolution or if you are in a dangerous situation it sucks or just dangerous.

As for test driving EVs, I don’t think one can fully understand until they own it day in/day out. In my test drive of the Model 3P i really wasn’t all that impressed, I needed more time with it.
I Would definitely get an ICE as a weekend car, I do miss the times I revved out my IS350. When my kids are done with college I'll probably look for something like a used IS500...or maybe an LC. But just like you, my daily drive and eventually family trip car will always be an EV. Next year the EV credits will kick in for Tesla, I'll probably get my wife a Model Y to replace her Ioniq
Old 08-17-22, 09:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

You just proved what he said in that non EV drivers don't understand EV'S until they have lived with them. As someone who transitioned from ice to EV, EV is a better experience. I'll leave it at that
I've driven them and they suck IMO. They are not engaging at all, very digital and emotionless. Never once have I felt the same connection to the machine, maybe it's because I am not scared at all of breaking my cars I actually get to enjoy them properly. Today I hit limiter 4 times in the 460 and at least 30 redline runs while I imagine most would not hit redline all to many times during ownership. I love feeling an adrenaline hit on a drive and I just have never once gotten it driving an EV
Old 08-17-22, 10:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've driven them and they suck IMO. They are not engaging at all, very digital and emotionless. Never once have I felt the same connection to the machine, maybe it's because I am not scared at all of breaking my cars I actually get to enjoy them properly. Today I hit limiter 4 times in the 460 and at least 30 redline runs while I imagine most would not hit redline all to many times during ownership. I love feeling an adrenaline hit on a drive and I just have never once gotten it driving an EV
Then we can conclude that they are not for you. As for me, I can't go back unless it's a weekend car, and the same is for many, many others like me who made the switch and that's it. The best way I can describe it to you...I have an old blackberry sitting in my drawer in my office, and from time to time I'm tempted to find a working battery for it on Amazon just to turn it on. Turn it on, play with it for awhile and then put it back in the drawer and go back to my OnePlus. I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but this explains my transition to EV'S in a nutshell

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-17-22 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid Road Test Review: The new American muscle sedan