EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
With a 250 mile range EV, it's 5 hours. No idea what range BEV you're referring to. And in those 5 hours, unless you're a robot that does not need to use the washroom, coffee and eat (forget about even stretching your legs) that 5 hours drops to half.

Once you've made up your mind it's not going to work for you, it doesn't really matter what anyone says to reason with you, it still won't make a lot sense for a lot of people, and that's perfectly fine too.
not sure where rogerh00 is in FL (big, long state), but google maps says miami to nyc is an 18hr drive. unless you have 2 drivers, that's 3 days of driving for most people, maybe stops in georgia and virginia for example. unless the hotel has charging then 5 hours is added onto the driving for charging, but going with your point, let's say that one can align half that charging time with stops needed anyway, but it's still an additional 2.5 hours charging and waiting around. At 70mph that's 175mi. of driving time wasted. If those 2.5 add-on hours represented two charging stops, a gas car would accomplish same in 10 minutes.

you're right, nothing you can say will convince me that the EV trip is convenient.

EVs are great for day trips, commuting, etc. they (CURRENTLY) suck for long distance trips. Sure there's lots of videos and anecdotes of enthusiastic (mostly young people who don't have to stop often to pee, lol) people embarking on long distance ev adventures and embracing the novelty of it and the adventure of monitoring the charge status, navigating to charge stations, etc., but i would find none of that appealing when i'm just trying to travel a long distance.

I've no doubt that situation will improve in coming years but it's not good today.
Old 07-03-21, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure where rogerh00 is in FL (big, long state), but google maps says miami to nyc is an 18hr drive. unless you have 2 drivers, that's 3 days of driving for most people, maybe stops in georgia and virginia for example. unless the hotel has charging then 5 hours is added onto the driving for charging, but going with your point, let's say that one can align half that charging time with stops needed anyway, but it's still an additional 2.5 hours charging and waiting around. At 70mph that's 175mi. of driving time wasted. If those 2.5 add-on hours represented two charging stops, a gas car would accomplish same in 10 minutes.

you're right, nothing you can say will convince me that the EV trip is convenient.

EVs are great for day trips, commuting, etc. they (CURRENTLY) suck for long distance trips. Sure there's lots of videos and anecdotes of enthusiastic (mostly young people who don't have to stop often to pee, lol) people embarking on long distance ev adventures and embracing the novelty of it and the adventure of monitoring the charge status, navigating to charge stations, etc., but i would find none of that appealing when i'm just trying to travel a long distance.

I've no doubt that situation will improve in coming years but it's not good today.
We did Savannah to Rochester in one shot in 2019. 4am to 10pm. I think that was 3 fill ups to get to get back. This was the longest one day trip of my life. I can’t imagine having to plan around a charging station along the way. Sure we made multiple stops on the way…but we stopped whenever the heck we felt like it (coffee, snacks, washroom). But there was just thought of gas stations when did that.
Old 07-03-21, 03:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Probably around $30k but its 30% off so about $20k. My electric bill was $300 a month. So 5 year payback isn't bad. Solar in So Cal is cheaper because we don't need as many panels due to year round sun so ROI is high on solar here.
There is also zero out-of-pocket solar like we have. We pay for the power generated from solar, just like you pay for electricity from your utility company. You get the benefit of solar, cheaper rates than utility (and utility company pays you back for surplus that you generate), and absolutely zero upfront costs and the maintenance and any repairs are handled by the solar company. I had the solar inverter replaced twice in seven years, absolutely no cost to us.

Tesla actually owns our solar panels now after SolarCity bought out our original provider, Paramount Solar. I think Elon was on the board of directors for SolarCity before Tesla acquired it.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 07-03-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 03:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought NuLuxe was better than the standard Lexus leather. Didn't even have creases when I sold it at 60k miles.
I agree. I used to desire quality leather and appreciated what the LS 460 offered, but I’m over the maintenance and perceive it differently now. The whole dead animal skin look has lost its appeal and I don’t mind synthetic or vegan “leather” at all and actually prefer it. I remember being quite impressed with Lexus NuLuxe too and found it supple and very comfortable with great durability.
Old 07-03-21, 03:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
There is also zero out-of-pocket solar like we have. We pay for the power generated from solar, just like you pay for electricity from your utility company. You get the benefit of solar, cheaper rates than utility (and utility company pays you back for surplus that you generate), and absolutely zero upfront costs and the maintenance and any repairs are handled by the solar company. I had the solar inverter replaced twice in seven years, absolutely no cost to us.

Tesla actually owns our solar panels now after SolarCity bought out our original provider, Paramount Solar. I think Elon was on the board of directors for SolarCity before Tesla acquired it.
That's a great situation you're in. Solar is absolutely a no brainer ROI in many's situations. Just have to do the math. My breakeven is 5-6 years and the panels will last about 30 years or more (25 yr warranty). So after 5 years, electricity is free. So I'm saving $3k+ on electricity and $3k on fuel from using an EV. I actually built enough overhead for another EV so if the new tax credit is enacted, I'll get another EV and save another $3k on fuel per year.
Old 07-04-21, 05:56 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

With a 250 mile range EV, it's 5 hours. No idea what range BEV you're referring to. And in those 5 hours, unless you're a robot that does not need to use the washroom, coffee and eat (forget about even stretching your legs) that 5 hours drops to half.

Once you've made up your mind it's not going to work for you, it doesn't really matter what anyone says to reason with you, it still won't make a lot sense for a lot of people, and that's perfectly fine too.
I used a Mach-e as my vehicle as it is the only EV I would even consider buying at this time. Redoing the route with a model Y you are correct it takes about 5 hours of charging with 12 stops and 23 hr-19m driving. I'm not against EV's I just don't think they are ready for prime time yet especially Teslas on the East coast.
Old 07-04-21, 06:11 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Good post, I agree with everything you say. Also, to clarify I am an empty nester who only owns 1 vehicle. There is no way I could rely on a Battery vehicle as my only means of transportation in Florida and for long distance trips. A Tesla is probably the least desirable due to quality and service here and lack of charging stations except on the Interstate which I try to avoid.

Question, How many Tesla owners here is the EV their only vehicle????
Old 07-04-21, 08:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

That interior is a joke. I'd laugh every time I got into that thing.
Old 07-04-21, 08:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

I am going to Orlando for vacation after this week and I may try and rent a Tesla from Turo to see if I like it. I’ve only been in a Model S and have never driven an EV before so I think it would be cool but they aren’t cheap to rent for a week so we will see.
Old 07-04-21, 09:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I am going to Orlando for vacation after this week and I may try and rent a Tesla from Turo to see if I like it. I’ve only been in a Model S and have never driven an EV before so I think it would be cool but they aren’t cheap to rent for a week so we will see.
You gotta rent the Plaid version.

If that isn't available, at least get the Model 3 Performance.
Old 07-04-21, 09:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 284 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Question, How many Tesla owners here is the EV their only vehicle????
Do you live in an apartment/condo? If you do, then it makes sense to not get any EV, much less a low quality, interior that makes one laugh - Tesla.

I have only one car and it's an EV, a Model S and I have a garage with my house that I charge it in.
Old 07-04-21, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That interior is a joke. I'd laugh every time I got into that thing.
I just looked up the Canadian spec Y. $69,990. Definitely not a $69k interior I can’t believe full self driving is a $10,000 option.

Do you live in an apartment/condo? If you do, then it makes sense to not get any EV, much less a low quality, interior that makes one laugh - Tesla.

n.
I agree with this. Battery EVs can’t possibly the only solution.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-04-21 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I have only one car and it's an EV, a Model S and I have a garage with my house that I charge it in.
I think your household though has another vehicle, right?
Old 07-04-21, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Too bad they didn’t test the current build Model Y. You can tell it’s an older version because it doesn’t have the updated center console.

I recently took delivery of a Model Y performance. Absolutely love it. Ended up giving my 2019 450H F-Sport to my sister.

Looking forward to seeing what EVs Lexus will eventually bring to market.

​​​​​​
congratulations! Looks good in that pic. The new dark side trim (instead of the old chrome) looks better and it looks like you have windows tinted (?).
Old 07-04-21, 09:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can’t believe full self driving is a $10,000 option.
Especially when it's not full self driving, lol.

It adds highway navigation "self driving"* - meaning it knows where to exit and will do so, parking lot "summon" (which i sure as hell wouldn't trust and given how slow it moves i could walk there and back to the car 3 times), and a few other features.

* - you still have to keep your hands on the wheel anyway.

I don't think it's $10K worth of value and I bet the take rate isn't that high.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y