EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 04:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Incredible how much Tesla accomplished in roughly a decade, they even have mobile repair service. Most other automakers will have you calling a hole in the wall third party towing service contractor if the car leaves you stranded.
Old 06-03-21, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Incredible how much Tesla accomplished in roughly a decade, they even have mobile repair service. Most other automakers will have you calling a hole in the wall third party towing service contractor if the car leaves you stranded.
It’s a door handle. Any luxury brand with a courtesy system would pick up the car and take it to the shop. In fact, pretty shoddy to have Tesla work on this in your drive way. Should be behind closed doors. I think Bits Genesis G90 was picked up for warranty work and then returned. That said, I have seen a Tesla have to be flat bed towed as it wouldn’t start at my office.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-21 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s a door handle. Any luxury brand with a courtesy system would pick up the car and take it to the shop. In fact, pretty shoddy to have Tesla work on this in your drive way. Should be behind closed doors. I think Bits Genesis G90 was picked up for warranty work and then returned. That said, I have seen a Tesla have to be flat bed towed as it wouldn’t start at my office.
Did they send a reputable tow truck or a third party contractor?

A couple of months ago I was at a car wash with my X6M, and it's electronic hand brake would not release. Called BMW dealership, they said call BMW assist, and BMW assist turned out to be third party dispatch that contracts local tow companies. Going through endless automated prompts, finally getting through to a live person who puts you on hold and then drops the call. Spent three hours blocking people's business, until the hand brake disengaged on its own, tow truck never showed up. If only BMW had remote repair service like Tesla.
Old 06-03-21, 05:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

My Lexus dealer is willing to pick up my car and take it in for service for me, but if I could have it done in my driveway, I would choose that every time. Every. Single. Time.
Old 06-03-21, 05:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It's funny how different people think. When I saw the picture the thought that the car should have been taken in for warranty work didn't cross my mind. My thought was it was very convenient and a quick efficient way to get the repair done. To my eye the nice looking service car with the tasteful logo was a nice touch too.
Old 06-03-21, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Did they send a reputable tow truck or a third party contractor?
A big transport trailer with a flat loading bed showed up. And a ramp.

Originally Posted by Och
If only BMW had remote repair service like Tesla.
Google ‘Tesla Mobile Service Nighhtmare” I dare you. All kidding aside, All the brands can have crappy service. Telsa is no exception . Problem with them coming to your home is that you may have wait for them…and then if they can repair it…car has to go to the dealer..so you just waste time . Every Toyota or Lexus warranty issue I have ever owned, I take it to the dealer usually for routine service, in the service if the warranty repair can be made and if not, I come back when ready. Shuttle home….I used to be offered a car but it doesn’t matter to me as I can just do whatever I wanted as I was self employed for 30+ years I do agree that coming to my driveway to repair a door handle would be great…but I also learned 40 years ago that waiting for contractors to show up to repair something in the home can be a total waste of my time if I think they will be here for 9am

Old 06-03-21, 06:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

A big transport trailer with a flat loading bed showed up. And a ramp.

Google ‘Tesla Mobile Service Nighhtmare” I dare you. All kidding aside, All the brands can have crappy service. Telsa is no exception . Problem with them coming to your home is that you may have wait for them…and then if they can repair it…car has to go to the dealer..so you just waste time . Every Toyota or Lexus warranty issue I have ever owned, I take it to the dealer usually for routine service, in the service if the warranty repair can be made and if not, I come back when ready. Shuttle home….I used to be offered a car but it doesn’t matter to me as I can just do whatever I wanted as I was self employed for 30+ years I do agree that coming to my driveway to repair a door handle would be great…but I also learned 40 years ago that waiting for contractors to show up to repair something in the home can be a total waste of my time if I think they will be here for 9am
I think the mobile service model works better for Tesla due to the issues that Tesla cars get vs. other brands. Powertrain reliability is high as its an enclosed system that really needs no maintenance. The other issues like automatic door handles not working or trim pieces falling off or window regulators not working are typically the issues that come up and mobile service can take care of those quickly. No need for large service centers if they only occasionally get the bigger ticket items as service center maintenance is also rare. This type of service model may not work with other brands.
Old 06-03-21, 06:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Nobody is perfect, but the point is, Tesla has their own professional remote service crews, and other manufacturers that have been around 10 times longer do not.
Old 06-03-21, 06:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Nobody is perfect, but the point is, Tesla has their own professional remote service crews, and other manufacturers that have been around 10 times longer do not.
Depending on where you live in the world. Some brands do have mobile service.

Some American locations have mobile service too.

Findlay Toyota provides mobile repair service

Old 06-03-21, 06:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Depending on where you live in the world. Some brands do have mobile service.

Some American locations have mobile service too.

Findlay Toyota provides mobile repair service
That's an individual dealership, with Tesla its a company wide initiative. Impressive on many levels.
Old 06-03-21, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Impressive on many levels.
Tesla Mobile Service Nightmare

unimpressive in some cases. There are pros and cons. The idea is good, I just think that for some issues going to a dealer is faster and more convenient and if they come to you…even better

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-21 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 07:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

Knoxville is getting a service center. There are a good amount of Teslas around here.
Old 06-03-21, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Knoxville is getting a service center. There are a good amount of Teslas around here.
eventually most of the smaller cities will have one.
Old 06-03-21, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
67k miles/107k km or June 2023.

Tesla gave me a additional 4 year 80k km/50k mile warranty when I got it in June 2019. At that time it had 27k km/16.75k miles on it.
That is awesome. Was that extended warranty because you bought the car through Tesla, and does everyone get that?

It’s a door handle. Any luxury brand with a courtesy system would pick up the car and take it to the shop. In fact, pretty shoddy to have Tesla work on this in your drive way. Should be behind closed doors. I think Bits Genesis G90 was picked up for warranty work and then returned.
Yes i did have 'concierge' service on the Genesis and it was very nice. But then, I wouldn't want an oil change done in my driveway. but mechanical things like a door handle, sure, why not. Unless you're concerned about being embarrassed in front of the neighbors.

tesla issues seem mostly mechanical / trim.
Old 06-03-21, 07:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

eventually most of the smaller cities will have one.
Compared to you and other we are small but oh we are growing up. I would hardly recognize this place only 20 years ago.

It's interesting, for example when we were young stupid kids we used to fly as fast as we could go EVERYWHERE on back roads, etc., typical teenager crap, petal to the medal. I had a 5speed Maxima that was fast and went through multiple clutches, lol it was driven hard.

You just couldn't do that today, driving fast like that etc. because there's too many new roads and neighborhoods. We/others would be dead in 5 minutes if that recklessness were tried today.

Quick Reply: Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)