EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Rivian R1S SUV and R1T Pick-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rivian details R1T storage options and dives into the truck's specs

Length-wise, the R1T is 217.1 inches long, putting it square in the range of other trucks we consider to be "mid-size." The bed is 54 inches long, which is exactly four-and-a-half feet. That’s on the short side of the spectrum compared to other mid-size pickups. In fact, it’s only barely longer than the tiny Hyundai Santa Cruz’s bed. That could be an issue for folks needing a full five-foot or six-foot bed, but Rivian makes this compromise to keep the rear overhang small, making the truck better off-road and easier to maneuver in tight spaces. The space between the rear arches measures 50 inches in width, and if you’re able to pack things with the tailgate laid flat, there’s a load-bearing panel that eliminates the gap between the tailgate and truck to make a flat surface. Rivian says its bed is made of compression-molded structural composite to resist corrosion.

You can open the tailgate via the key fob, button on the bed rail, using in-vehicle controls or through the Rivian app. Once in there, you’ll find two LED lights to illuminate the bed in the dark, forged steel tie-downs in each corner, four additional tie-downs on the bed rails (which can be used for cargo crossbars) and two 15-amp 110-volt outlets. There’s also an in-bed air compressor that can fill just about anything you want, including the truck’s tires.

Similar to the Honda Ridgeline, the R1T has an underbed storage compartment. However, it’ll typically hold your full-size spare tire and is weather-proof, dust-proof and can double as a cooler/storage compartment (it’s equipped with a drain plug) if you remove the wheel and tire. Your other covered storage options include a couple factory tonneau covers — one is powered, the other manual. You can control the powered cover via in-vehicle buttons or the Rivian app.

Moving to the truck’s front trunk, Rivian says you’ll find 11 cubic-feet of storage in there. It’s shaped to allow storage of two large coolers. There’s a cargo net available to organize loose items, and a removable compartment on the floor of it makes a spot for the truck’s portable charger. You can open it via the key, an exterior button under the light bar, via in-vehicle controls or (once again) the app. A 12-volt outlet is available in the compartment in case you need to power something in there, too.

You’ll find the gear tunnel storage compartment in the middle. It’s limited in scope, but will fit extra long and skinny items with ease, measuring 65 inches in total length. There’s LED lighting within the compartment, and you’ll also find both a 12-volt and 110-volt outlet. In case you wanted to do some home measuring to know if your use case works, you should also know that it’s 18.1 inches in width and 20.3 inches in height.

The last bit of information Rivian dropped concerns the trailer hitch. Like some others today, Rivian designed it as a “hidden hitch” with a panel that requires removal to gain access to it. Rivian says it did this for aerodynamic reasons — two screws later, and you’ll be looking at the receiver. Towing maxes out at 11,000 pounds.

Additional deep dives like this one are reportedly on the way for other areas of the R1T and R1S, so watch out for more juicy details in the coming months as Rivian prepares for production.
Source
Old 05-11-21, 10:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

This is probably my favorite of the upcoming electric trucks, but the bed would be too short for my needs.
Old 05-11-21, 10:32 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is probably my favorite of the upcoming electric trucks, but the bed would be too short for my needs.
I agree, here's hoping it becomes more than just vaporware.
Old 05-11-21, 12:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
agree it appears to be VERY promising and not some giant hulking steel gimmick like the cybertruck.
Old 05-11-21, 08:19 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 280 Likes on 164 Posts

The Rivian truck and SUV look very promising in terms of their functionality. Looking forward to seeing them on the road soon.

I don't care for the goofy looking design - especially the light's. I actually prefer the radical CyberTruck design.

Originally Posted by spwolf
this looks like very thoughtfully engineered throughout, unlike Tesla.

Might be first real competitor.
Pray do tell - enlighten us why Tesla's are poorly engineered and not thought out....
Old 05-11-21, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Pray do tell - enlighten us why Tesla's are poorly engineered and not thought out....
because the cybertruck looks like a joke. it looks like a design to appeal to people who would NEVER buy a truck otherwise, so they will have some unique 'bad ***' vehicle. i doubt tesla has done serious work with people who actually use trucks to make sure it will meet their needs. i've no doubt it will have a similar cheap and plain interior while highlighting the stainless steel exterior. is this going to be offered with paint by the way?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-12-21 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 09:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,774 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Cybertruck is designed to be as strong, light and as simple as possible which is perfect for a work truck. And it will never rust and is highly dent resistant. My only concern is what will happen to other vehicles that hit a Cybertruck. But since you can't buy a Cybertruck or Rivian it's all talk right now.
Old 05-12-21, 06:16 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean Rivian deliveries start next month so I'd hardly call it vaporware.
Old 05-12-21, 06:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
I mean Rivian deliveries start next month so I'd hardly call it vaporware.
This is what I've read too. Vehicles ordered now will be delivered next year and beyond. The Rivian factory in central Illinois (Normal) has created quite a few new jobs.
Old 05-12-21, 07:13 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have an R1S reservation. Wife wasn't a fan of the green, so had to skip on the launch edition sadly. Expect the vehicle to be available early next year.
Old 09-07-21, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Default Rivian R1T and R1S get EPA ranges: 314 for the truck, 316 for the SUV

These are with the mid-size battery packs, longer and shorter options are also coming

Rivian CEO R.J. Scaringe said his company was waiting on various government agencies to complete their work before beginning Rivian deliveries sometime this month. One of those government divisions has weighed in, the EPA releasing range figures for Rivian's R1T pickup and R1S SUV. The numbers are for the Launch Edition vehicles, both with the mid-sized "Large" 135-kWh battery pack and riding on 21-inch wheels. The R1T was rated at 314 miles of range, drinking 48 kWh of energy per 100 miles, good for 74 mpge (miles per gallon equivalent) city, 66 highway, and 70 combined.

The R1S made it a couple miles further although with slightly less efficiency, rated at 316 miles of range, taking in 49 kWh of energy per 100 miles, good for 73 mpge city, 65 highway, and 69 combined. The difference in slightly increased range and slightly decreased efficiency could be down to vagaries in the respective packs on that particular day. The EPA test is conducted on a dyno, so aerodynamics don't play a part.

The wheel size is also pertinent, Rivian having said the 21-inchers on all-season rubber were designed for the best range. The optional 22-inch wheels were developed to provide "the best on-road handling" at the cost of a 5 to 10% reduction in range. One might anticipate the smaller 20-inch wheels being able to go further, but on the Rivian these will be forged units designed for off-roading and will get heavier, meaty tires that could extract a 10 to 15% range penalty compared to 21-inch wheels and stock tires.

As of January next year, we're told the Rivian pair will be available with the other two battery packs, a small one said to achieve about 230 miles on a charge, and a "Max" pack aiming for more than 400 miles from full to empty.

Ford hasn't mentioned planned pack sizes for its F-150 Lightning, but we know the OEM expects 300 miles of range from its extended-range pack and around 230 miles from a smaller pack. The GMC Hummer EV and its 200-kWh pack are aiming for 350 miles of range. Tesla's bandied a range of 250 to 500 miles or more for the Cybertruck, depending on configuration, but the Cybertruck is so far from production that its design isn't finalized yet. By putting its off-road-worthy trucks on the market, Rivian can now wait to see where the challengers land around its benchmark.
Source
Old 09-07-21, 02:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i am very optimistic about everything i've read about rivian. so deliveries begin this month? that's awesome. hope it's more than a handful. how will they be sold?
Old 09-07-21, 02:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Motor Trend was pretty smitten with it.

The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven

Yep, we drove it. Are you ready for the electric truck revolution?

The 2022 Rivian R1T is the first mass-produced electric truck to hit the U.S. market, but that's hardly the most interesting thing about it. Its electric powertrain notwithstanding, the R1T is unlike any pickup we've ever driven—part truck, part sport sedan, and 100 percent amazing. It's been speculated that pickup buyers are too conservative to embrace electrification, but after our first drive in a pre-production Rivian R1T, both on-road and off-, we think this is the electric truck that will turn them into believers.
The rest of the article is here.
Old 09-15-21, 07:40 AM
Hoovey689

Default Rivian hits the road: First R1T customer truck rolls off the assembly line

Today marks the beginning of the new normal in Normal, Ill., as the first production Rivian R1T electric pickup — meaning the first truck for commercial sale to a customer — rolled off the line at Rivian's factory.

Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe tweeted photos of the truck, done up in namesake Rivian Blue and surrounded by cheering crowds of factory workers and their families.

The accomplishment comes less than three years after Rivian came out of obscurity and burst on the scene at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show. Since then, the company has come a long way — building out the former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, obtaining billions of dollars in backing from Amazon and Ford, and earning EPA range estimates of 314 miles for the R1T and 316 for the upcoming R1S utility vehicle using their initial midsize battery packs.

For Rivian's next act, it plans an initial public offering of stock before the end of the year in which it could seek a valuation of between $50 billion and $70 billion.

Source
Old 09-15-21, 08:16 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Excited to see this on the road. My Tesla-obsessed neighbor reserved a R1T ages ago.

Quick Reply: Rivian R1S SUV and R1T Pick-up thread