EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 02:05 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The glass roof has a UV coating that blocks out pretty much all UV light. I've sat in the Tesla for hours in 100 degree sun and it was fine with the AC...no sun burn or anything like that. I think it makes more wind-noise with an all glass roof though.
Regardless if it has a UV coating of dubious quality, without a cover to block the sun It will be an annoyance all the time. Depending on the direction your driving the sun could be beating down on you for hours. I can't deal with it. I wonder if they will have an option to have a solid roof or different model otherwise it's not for me.
Old 09-10-20, 02:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

They have the build site already up and running on their website. The solid roof is available on the lower trim models. I felt the same way but I got into my friends Model Y recently on a hot day and was surprised how well the tinted glass roof shaded the interior.
Old 09-10-20, 02:14 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
I believe both.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/tes...-cool-science/

It seems to work really well.
Thanks for the post. I learn something new about Tesla all the time. What concerns me is they say it blocks UV light but not specifically UVA or UVB or both. I guess more research is required about these massive glass roofs like the Lucid.
Old 09-10-20, 02:32 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
They have the build site already up and running on their website. The solid roof is available on the lower trim models. I felt the same way but I got into my friends Model Y recently on a hot day and was surprised how well the tinted glass roof shaded the interior.
I went to the build site and the basic model shows a photo of one with a solid roof but you can't build it yet. The next level up the Air Touring shows the glass canopy as optional but I wasn't able to un-check it. The next 2 levels appears to have the glass canopy by default.
Old 09-14-20, 04:45 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This is all true. Difference is, if you extol the virtues of Tesla some here get triggered way behind what is reasonable. Out come the talking points and accusations. I don't find it surprising though, people fear change, fear what they don't understand.
You should fear change, because nobody REALLY ever fully understands the entire scope and impact of huge changes. They shouldn't happen fast, especially when they involve massive systems that directly impact people's lives. California found this out the hard way with an emotional energy policy that "felt" good but led the astronomically high prices and rolling brownouts. Change has been good in many cases, and it's brought disaster in my cases.

Nobody fears a car with an electric motor. People fear the activists that want to use it to push change on you without fully understanding the consequences to everyone.
Old 09-14-20, 10:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,754 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
You should fear change, because nobody REALLY ever fully understands the entire scope and impact of huge changes. They shouldn't happen fast, especially when they involve massive systems that directly impact people's lives. California found this out the hard way with an emotional energy policy that "felt" good but led the astronomically high prices and rolling brownouts. Change has been good in many cases, and it's brought disaster in my cases.
Easy disaster to predict, was done for political reasons. Ontario is in the same boat, stupid decisions made by people that think rainbows and unicorns can power the world.
Nobody fears a car with an electric motor. People fear the activists that want to use it to push change on you without fully understanding the consequences to everyone.
Yes they do, they fear it because it is different. They fear it because it is a threat to their established, favourite brand. Why do you think we see constant attacks on Elon Musk as a person? Because he is different, doesn't fit the mould of a boring, paint by numbers CEO. And I will point out no one is forcing you to buy a BEV, you can go out and buy a giant gas guzzling SUV all day long.

If you still doubt people fear what is outside the norm, consider since Tesla has been selling cars the number of hit pieces written about the company. Everything from a BEV will burn down your house, it 10x worse for the environment etc. etc. massive fear mongering.

Last edited by LeX2K; 09-14-20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-14-20, 10:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 262 Likes on 152 Posts

Buying any product made in a factory is harmful to the environment. End of story

Regardless whether its a BEV or an ICE vehicle or any other mass made (or custom made for that matter) product, a factory that has to be built, powered, the raw materials that have to be mined for both types of cars (different types of metal), the rubber and plastics that have to be manufactured - all contribute to global warming. If we really want to save the planet, we need to stop buying manufactured goods.
Old 09-14-20, 11:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Buying any product made in a factory is harmful to the environment. End of story

Regardless whether its a BEV or an ICE vehicle or any other mass made (or custom made for that matter) product, a factory that has to be built, powered, the raw materials that have to be mined for both types of cars (different types of metal), the rubber and plastics that have to be manufactured - all contribute to global warming. If we really want to save the planet, we need to stop buying manufactured goods.
True but its been proven over and over and over again that a life of a BEV will be less environmentally harmful than the overall life of an ICE. Sure they start out worse straight from factory but even powered by coal, the BEV is much more efficient with an overall less carbon footprint. If you add in renewable energy as the primary source, its magnitudes cleaner over its lifetime while that same ICE has no chance of getting cleaner at all. Add to it that Tesla's and EVs are primarily sold in California to suburban affluent homes where there is an abundance of solar power.
Old 09-14-20, 12:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,754 Likes on 2,333 Posts

The best thing you can do for the planet is die.
Old 09-14-20, 04:44 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 346 Posts

We have nothing to fear but polarization! I don't understand why anyone feels the need to paint a picture of discord, strife and conflict in the choice between BEV and ICE. Market conditions, not fear, will dictate which best suites consumers and the environment.

California legislates in the favor of BEV's and renewable energy resources, but only because they're attempting to do something, symbolic as it may be, to battle climate change. The rainfall drop and temperature rise in CA has led to unprecedented wildfires across the state. To do nothing in response would be irresponsible.

Like all of the other increasingly polarizing political issues of the day, I fear the polarization more than either side of any issue.
Old 09-14-20, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
We have nothing to fear but polarization! I don't understand why anyone feels the need to paint a picture of discord, strife and conflict in the choice between BEV and ICE. Market conditions, not fear, will dictate which best suites consumers and the environment.

California legislates in the favor of BEV's and renewable energy resources, but only because they're attempting to do something, symbolic as it may be, to battle climate change. The rainfall drop and temperature rise in CA has led to unprecedented wildfires across the state. To do nothing in response would be irresponsible.

Like all of the other increasingly polarizing political issues of the day, I fear the polarization more than either side of any issue.
Couldn't have said it better myself...
Old 09-14-20, 05:56 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

More likely the government will decide by meddling in the market like the already do with BEVs. Ask the coal folks how that worked. Most likely, the government will regulate away ICE and the market will have very little to do with it. They already do it now with the carbon credit scam that basically forced companies to pay money to companies like Tesla in order to meet their guidelines and regulations. I expect more of the same.

Or maybe it is the 150 million dead trees laying around because the same people that mismanaged their energy policy also mismanaged their deforestation policy. Add in some stupid people that thought their gender reveal pyrotechnics were so important that they had to risk creating a fire during Cali's dry season, and it should be no surprise to anyone that these fires are bad.

That's what a big federal government gets you. Let state government decide what is best for their state residents, and a lot of the bickering goes away. For instance, Medicare for All can be implemented right now by any state in the union for their residents. But these states don't want to do that. They want to force it on everyone in the nation at the federal level. Not the way our system was setup to work.

Old 09-15-20, 01:26 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 346 Posts

Bob04, I understand your point of view, but, I fear we are about to be booted from this thread as we have strayed from the original topic and gotten political. I would simply ask everyone to think in terms of getting along together, regardless of political leanings, and regardless of one's thoughts on BEV's and ICE's. We can only make our lives better by doing what we see fit, and allowing others to do the same. There will always be arguments on both sides of any issue. Understanding both sides and making one's own decision is the American way. The key is understanding and not attacking the other side simply because they think differently. One nation!
Old 09-15-20, 01:49 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 262 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
True but its been proven over and over and over again that a life of a BEV will be less environmentally harmful than the overall life of an ICE. Sure they start out worse straight from factory but even powered by coal, the BEV is much more efficient with an overall less carbon footprint. If you add in renewable energy as the primary source, its magnitudes cleaner over its lifetime while that same ICE has no chance of getting cleaner at all. Add to it that Tesla's and EVs are primarily sold in California to suburban affluent homes where there is an abundance of solar power.
The pollution/damage to the environment caused by the mining of nickel (the major component in the battery) is insanely high, so I'm not sure over the lifetime of an EV, that its better than an ICE car.
Old 09-15-20, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The pollution/damage to the environment caused by the mining of nickel (the major component in the battery) is insanely high, so I'm not sure over the lifetime of an EV, that its better than an ICE car.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesel.../#703a883376d2

A lot of the FUD on battery production was debunked. Sure its worse than ICE but over the lifetime of the vehicle, every reputable publication i've ever read about proves EVs are cleaner in its lifetime than ICE. If you have a publication you'd like for me to read, please link.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air