EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

CNBC: BYD Rising

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 07:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Not the passenger cars we’re talking about, and not at scale.
not sure the need for this 'clarification' as i did say commercial ev's and thus not at scale either (yet). but it does give byd some experience in u.s. market, contacts, processes, etc., which will be useful should they decide to do passenger car production in the u.s.

But it does prove the point that they will have to build here to sell here (USMCA) and follow sourcing rules on parts etc.
it doesn't prove anything because regulations can and do change. the u.s. could decide the benefits of opening the floodgates to chinese ev's is better than slapping big tariffs on them.
Old 03-28-24, 07:13 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

China and BYD are formidable competitors. We have ceded so much business in the name of short term profits and low prices. I am proud Tesla, as an American company, is leading the world in the emerging EV market. Reviving the Fremont plant was a key reason we purchased the Model 3.

Where will it go? Many think America is invincible. Think again. Support American business and labor. I do.
Old 03-28-24, 07:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
China and BYD are formidable competitors. We have ceded so much business in the name of short term profits and low prices. I am proud Tesla, as an American company, is leading the world in the emerging EV market. Reviving the Fremont plant was a key reason we purchased the Model 3.

Where will it go? Many think America is invincible. Think again. Support American business and labor. I do.
I don't buy that. I support whoever gives me the best product at the best prices. Would you buy a GM product over a Toyota or Lexus? I've owned one GM product, and it was pretty terrible. I traded it in for a Toyota, and that Toyota stayed in the family for almost 15 years. If BYD offers something better than Tesla at a good value (includes service, charging etc), they have a customer
Old 03-28-24, 08:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 632 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Would you buy a GM product over a Toyota or Lexus? I've owned one GM product, and it was pretty terrible.
Isn't there a Chevy Volt in your driveway?
Old 03-28-24, 08:20 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Isn't there a Chevy Volt Bolt in your driveway?
I didn't buy it, my daughter did. I would personally never buy a Bolt for myself, although it's not a bad starter EV. That said, I was more referring to their ICE vehicles, but I would probably not buy an EV from them either

BTW corrected your post

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-28-24 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-28-24, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I don't buy that. I support whoever gives me the best product at the best prices.
would you buy a product if you knew it was created with slave (or heavily oppressed) labor? granted we're all hypocrites. i have an iphone probably made in one of foxconn's "cities" where 'employees' work/sleep/work/sleep and that's about it.
Old 03-28-24, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
would you buy a product if you knew it was created with slave (or heavily oppressed) labor? granted we're all hypocrites. i have an iphone probably made in one of foxconn's "cities" where 'employees' work/sleep/work/sleep and that's about it.
Well I hate to break this, but every iPhone and Android, computer, TV etc are all assembled by poorly paid, overworked labor. My preference of course is a healthy well paid workforce, but the reality is that, things we buy would be more expensive.

BTW, if you work for Apple, or Tesla in the US, you are overworked. You may be compensated well, but you are overworked, and if you work for a startup, you are not working 8 hour days....
Old 03-29-24, 09:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 892 Likes on 714 Posts

I don't know ya'll.

Is it bad for me to say I don't want these cars here?

I mean, come on, the cars we already have spent a long time earning their reputation and brand loyalty.

Wish them success but not here, maybe somewhere else tho. Lol
Old 03-30-24, 07:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 632 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I don't know ya'll.

Is it bad for me to say I don't want these cars here?

I mean, come on, the cars we already have spent a long time earning their reputation and brand loyalty.

Wish them success but not here, maybe somewhere else tho. Lol
I assume you're too young to remember the Japanese brands back in the 70's. Everyone thought they were just cheap and poorly made. History often repeats itself.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 10:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Haven't had the opportunity to watch this video yet but will soon as it came on my feed awhile back too. Definitely have to take note of how they are progressing, but don't think they are much of a concern YET for the US. Reports of paint that's literally peeling off cars, roofs caving in when weight/roof rack added, new cars being sold with black mold and more. None of that stuff is going to fly here in the states.

​​​​​Since Tesla is absolutely getting pummeled at the moment, its not surprising to see all these well timed positive news stories about it's competition.
Old 03-30-24, 12:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Haven't had the opportunity to watch this video yet but will soon as it came on my feed awhile back too. Definitely have to take note of how they are progressing, but don't think they are much of a concern YET for the US. Reports of paint that's literally peeling off cars, roofs caving in when weight/roof rack added, new cars being sold with black mold and more. None of that stuff is going to fly here in the states.

​​​​​Since Tesla is absolutely getting pummeled at the moment, its not surprising to see all these well timed positive news stories about it's competition.
That's not what my friend experienced when he drove in them when he was in India last year. He said the quality of the cars was very good, and they were well built. His words to me were something to the effect of when they eventually come to the US, he thinks other automakers will have serious competition. I'll try and get some pics from him next time I see him
Old 03-31-24, 10:04 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

I don't buy that. I support whoever gives me the best product at the best prices. Would you buy a GM product over a Toyota or Lexus? I've owned one GM product, and it was pretty terrible. I traded it in for a Toyota, and that Toyota stayed in the family for almost 15 years. If BYD offers something better than Tesla at a good value (includes service, charging etc), they have a customer
Japan is not our enemy; China is. My point is, Tesla is leading the world in the new EV market, unlike GM, Ford, etc. For once, an American company has the cajones to do so. I salute and support that.
Old 03-31-24, 10:49 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Japan is not our enemy; China is. My point is, Tesla is leading the world in the new EV market, unlike GM, Ford, etc. For once, an American company has the cajones to do so. I salute and support that.
LOL....how times have changed. Go back to the 1980s and everyone was up in arms about Japanese cars. Guess now they're all ok

The consumer will almost always go for the best and least expensive car. If a Chinese company can produce a very good car that helps people, why not. I can't imagine how the US government is going to spin this into a national security threat. Oh, maybe the cars will spy on the drivers (as if they didn't already).

ps. BYD is already bigger than Tesla in terms of sales in EVs (BEV+PHEV) I think.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-31-24 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-31-24, 11:05 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by asj2024
LOL....how times have changed. Go back to the 1980s and everyone was up in arms about Japanese cars. Guess now they're all ok

The consumer will almost always go for the best and least expensive car. If a Chinese company can produce a very good car that helps people, why not. I can't imagine how the US government is going to spin this into a national security threat. Oh, maybe the cars will spy on the drivers (as if they didn't already).

ps. BYD is already bigger than Tesla in terms of sales in EVs (BEV+PHEV) I think.
Unfortunately, IMO, all too true.

I was an early Model 3 adopter; we bought the car in Dec 2018. I did not need another car. GM failed the Fremont plant, NUMMI (GM + Toyota) failed the Fremont plant. At their peak NUMMI employed over 6000 employees. When the shuttered, homes were lost, the local tax base suffered, restaurants and all sorts of local businesses. NUMMI was the biggest employer in Fremont.

Today Tesla employs over 20,000 workers and is always hiring. I choose to support that.
Old 03-31-24, 11:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Because our government says so? Because they don't bow down to us? Sorry, I don't buy into that propaganda. I don't want to get into any political traps, I'll just say, they are not my enemy. Far from it.

Right now I'm a loyal Tesla buyer, but if BYD comes to NA with a better value proposition, I have no issues switching

Quick Reply: CNBC: BYD Rising