EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 12:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
When I tell you how bad the EV charging infrastructure is around me, we don’t even have a Costco. Closest one is 202 miles away.
Poor you. Man, you are missing the fighting for parking, the crowds you have push through. The gas line that snakes all the way to the entrance. You are missing out 😂
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know where they got those annual fuel cost numbers, but they are just flat out wrong. I'm assuming that they are using superchargers as a reference, the fact is that 80 percent of EV owners charge at home. Having an Ioniq 5 myself (wife's car), she drives about 12,000 miles a year, and charging costs are about $15 a month, or $180 a year. We can go ahead and round that off to $200 a year. It's nowhere near the $737 annual cost shown in this chart. Combined, all four of our EV's cost about $60 a month, or $720 a year. Add in another $200 in Supercharging costs when we travel, and it's $920 altogether
you have solar... not a valid comparison.

as u know, i have an ioniq 5 and charging it costs me about 4c a mile, so if i did 15k mi. per the chart that would be $600.
Old 03-01-24, 08:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you have solar... not a valid comparison.

as u know, i have an ioniq 5 and charging it costs me about 4c a mile, so if i did 15k mi. per the chart that would be $600.
I removed solar savings, and it would be about $630 a year. But they are completely off on the fuel costs for the hybrids, they probably used the cheapest pricing in the US. The Toyota Prius Prime PHEV gets 50 mpg, I used a fuel cost calculator and used our local gas prices of $4.76 a gallon, and upped the MPG to 60, and the cost would be $1191.50

EV's are so much more efficient than hybrids and PHEV's, it's not even close
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (03-02-24)
Old 03-02-24, 06:02 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Again, we're not measuring subjective personal anecdotes about how fun a car is to drive, or how cool, or just the distance it gets on electricity, etc. We're talking about considering a comprehensive set of factors that all together makes a car "green"

from the Washington Post:

The analysis shows that simply running on electricity is not enough to guarantee that a car is “green” — its weight, battery size and overall efficiency matter, too. While a gigantic electric truck weighing thousands of pounds might be better than a gas truck of the same size, both will be outmatched by a smaller, efficient gas vehicle. And the more huge vehicles there are on the road, the harder it will be for the United States to meet its goal of zeroing out emissions by 2050.

The GreenerCars report analyzes 1,200 cars available in 2024, assessing both the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle while it’s on the road and the emissions of manufacturing the car and battery. It also assesses the impact of pollutants beyond carbon dioxide, including nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and particulate matter — all of which can harm human health.
Old 03-02-24, 09:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asj2024
Again, we're not measuring subjective personal anecdotes about how fun a car is to drive, or how cool, or just the distance it gets on electricity, etc. We're talking about considering a comprehensive set of factors that all together makes a car "green"

The analysis shows that simply running on electricity is not enough to guarantee that a car is “green” — its weight, battery size and overall efficiency matter, too. While a gigantic electric truck weighing thousands of pounds might be better than a gas truck of the same size, both will be outmatched by a smaller, efficient gas vehicle. And the more huge vehicles there are on the road, the harder it will be for the United States to meet its goal of zeroing out emissions by 2050.

The GreenerCars report analyzes 1,200 cars available in 2024, assessing both the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle while it’s on the road and the emissions of manufacturing the car and battery. It also assesses the impact of pollutants beyond carbon dioxide, including nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and particulate matter — all of which can harm human health.
All of this simply doesn't matter to me, and I suspect most BEV owners. They are way more greener and efficient than ICE, and most BEV's I've driven are pretty amazing. Manufacturing, you'll simply never get to zero emissions, and eventually used battery packs will be recycled in large enough quantities that mining of lithium and other earth metals will have less of an impact on earth. All these topics have been discussed.

But I appreciate you bringing this to our attention
Old 03-02-24, 11:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,774 Likes on 2,347 Posts

There is no realistic pathway for deep decarbonization of combustion engine vehicles. HEVs improve the efficiency of internal combustion engine vehicles by recovering braking energy and storing it in a battery that can then be used to support propulsion with an electric motor. In this study, HEVs are found to reduce life-cycle GHG emissions by only about 20% compared to conventional gasoline cars.

PHEVs have a larger battery that can be charged before driving and they can operate in a predominantly electric mode for a certain range. Also in this drive mode, though,the electric motor is usually supported by the combustion engine, and thus it is not necessarily purely electric driving. In any case, the life-cycle GHG emissions of PHEVs are mostly determined by the electric versus combustion engine drive share in average real-world usage. This is found to vary significantly between regions, and the life-cycle GHG emissions of today’s medium-size PHEVs compared to gasoline cars is 42%–46% lower in the United States, 25%–27% lower in Europe, and 6%–12% lower in China, depending on the development of the electricity mix. (PHEVs are hardly registered in India.) Compared to average BEVs in the United States, Europe, and China, the life-cycle GHG emissions for PHEVs are 43%–64%, 123%–138%, and 39%–58% higher

Hybridization can be utilized to reduce the fuel consumption of new internal combustion engine vehicles registered over the next decade, but neither HEVs nor PHEVs provide the magnitude of reduction in GHG emissions needed in the long term. Thus, the registration of new cars with these powertrain types needs to be phased out in the 2030–2035 time frame. In the meantime, given the life-cycle GHG emission benefits that BEVs already provide today, the transition to electric cars need not wait for future power sector improvements. Indeed, the benefits of a continuously decarbonizing power sector can only be captured in full if the transition to electric vehicles proceeds well ahead of that.
Old 03-02-24, 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

most people are not interested in driving the 'greenest' car, especially one as small as a prius with a lawnmower engine and a small battery.
Old 03-02-24, 05:29 PM
asj2024
Advanced

most people are not interested in driving the 'greenest' car, especially one as small as a prius with a lawnmower engine and a small battery.
220 hp is not low (and especially on a car of lower weight), the interior of the Prius is not small as it seats 5 easy, and demand is strong. As to the smaller battery, that's actually good and is one factor that made it the greenest vehicle in the USA

Old 03-02-24, 06:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

220 hp is not low (and especially on a car of lower weight), the interior of the Prius is not small as it seats 5 easy, and demand is strong. As to the smaller battery, that's actually good and is one factor that made it the greenest vehicle in the USA
Model Y way outsells it. Sorry, I can't live with a four cylinder. The drone I can't stand, and it's power puts me too sleep. I'm at 384 HP with my Y and 479 HP with my Polestar, and I still get better MPG with both cars. But if it works for you, then great
Old 03-02-24, 06:21 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Toyota has sold more than 6 million Prius, and the combined MPGe of the Prius Prime in ev mode is more than the Tesla Y (127 vs 111)

More importantly, the Prius is still much greener and more efficient, which was the point of this thread

And since some people seem to have gone down the path of insulting other cars that people love, the current gen looks better as well than the generic looking Tesla Y

Last edited by asj2024; 03-02-24 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

why is this thread in ev chat?
Old 03-02-24, 06:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Toyota has sold more than 6 million Prius, and the combined MPGe of the Prius Prime in ev mode is more than the Tesla Y (127 vs 111)

More importantly, the Prius is still much greener and more efficient, which was the point of this thread

And since some people seem to have gone down the path of insulting other cars that people love, the current gen looks better as well than the generic looking Tesla Y

Are you buying one?
Old 03-02-24, 07:00 PM
asj2024
Advanced

why is this thread in ev chat?
All the cars in that list of greenest cars are electric vehicles, whether BEV, PHEV, or HEV.
Old 03-02-24, 07:03 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Are you buying one?
My 2010 3rd gen is still going strong at 171k miles, no major problems at all. I love that car, been with me since the beginning and I have many many memories driving it all across the USA with the wife. When that's gone maybe.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-02-24 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 07:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

For some reason Toyota said this

Toyota says it would rather buy credits than ‘waste’ money on EVs

Very odd given plug-in hybrids are the cleanest cars on the road. Seems like the entire system is broken by considering BEVs much cleaner.

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV