EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Charging in cold weather/range

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 07:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Brrrrr Dang. Lol
​​​​
​​​​​​My company has these special deep freezers used for preserving biological samples, and they get freaking cold. Where Lex lives, you could preserve a mammoth
Old 01-17-24, 07:31 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​My company has these special deep freezers used for preserving biological samples, and they get freaking cold. Where Lex lives, you could preserve a mammoth
Man, I'm saying!

Lex is pushing the EV's to the extreme.

If they can be charged up and will drive at those temps, I'm impressed.
Old 01-17-24, 07:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,777 Likes on 2,350 Posts

We get massive temperature swings a warming spell is called a Chinook. Can go from -25 to +10 in 24 hours. When Leo DiCaprio was filming west of Calgary (in winter) a Chinook blew in he tweeted at the time that global warming is terrifying lol. Now everyone calls a Chinook The DiCaprio.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Man, I'm saying!

Lex is pushing the EV's to the extreme.

If they can be charged up and will drive at those temps, I'm impressed.
Charged fine at -30 but don't expect the usual speeds you get when the battery is around ~20%. Battery has to warm up first which can take awhile.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 07:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
We get massive temperature swings a warming spell is called a Chinook. Can go from -25 to +10 in 24 hours. When Leo DiCaprio was filming west of Calgary (in winter) a Chinook blew in he tweeted at the time that global warming is terrifying lol. Now everyone calls a Chinook The DiCaprio.

Charged fine at -30 but don't expect the usual speeds you get when the battery is around ~20%. Battery has to warm up first which can take awhile.
Ah, Canadian humor 🤣
Old 01-17-24, 09:22 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I’ve been seeing a lot videos of public chargers failing and in recent cold weather especially with the weather zapping the range. EV owners what has been your personal experience so far in these frigid temperatures?

https://youtu.be/tzrUkgbVoro?si=xUPwiQiCzjxTqiqu
I'm not an EV guy(though I expect to make the switch someday of course), but this feels like local news hysteria gone national.

I've experienced blizzards before that took out the power to the area and not only was charging an EV impossible, so was getting gasoline. Fortunately my recently filled 36 gallon tank meant I was fine, but I was giving rides to those who were not so prepared.
AMIRZA786 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 09:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

On the topic of driving in extreme cold, I found this Youtube channel the other guy about some dude in Alaska who built a little cabin on the back of his old F-350 diesel. He has a recent video series where he drove up to the arctic circle(didn't quite get there), camping every night in extreme subzero temps. I'm amazed how well the 7.3 diesel handled the cold.

Old 01-17-24, 10:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

No it drove fine. I purposely did not pre-heat the cabin or touch the car at all let it sit outside overnight it got to -37. I wasn't foolish and let the battery drain down to 10% or something just like I wouldn't let my gas cars be low on fuel when a cold snap hits.

Tesla powered up and drove no problem at all. You could FEEL the cold, tires are like rocks steering felt a bit stiff. Suspension doesn't move properly, but this are not EV things they are car things. Sure some Tesla's may not operate but that's the same as gas cars. There were MANY cars that didn't start people were in service centers desperately trying to get their car looked at because it was dead. I jumped several people. Were plenty of cars abandonded because they died, this always happens during extreme cold. Some gas stations froze no one could pump fuel. If you have a diesel you're screwed the fuel does not flow properly at -30 it gels up.

Now charging, that's something you have to account for when it's super cold it starts off slow. And you will probably have no regen at all until the battery pack warms up bit.
One thing I found out (which seems obvious in retrospect) is a gas car in a garage radiates a bunch of heat after its parked, with an EV you don't get this. Won't notice most days but when it's bitter cold it makes a difference sitting in a garage. So ultimately a gas car is better in very cold weather if you can get past the initial start (if it starts). I can tell you no one enjoys getting gas when it's super cold, and the full serve attendants damn they have it rough.

I did screw up a bit I should have tried charging when the car was stone cold @ -37C. I planned ahead the car was around 70% when I parked it outside that night. And when it got home the car was warm. Opportunity missed.
This is true. I park my PHEV next to our LX and the LX always makes the garage warm where the PHEV doesn’t at all. Even our hybrid cars doesn’t seem to radiate heat like a non hybrid vehicle inside the garage.

I will say one of our gas vehicles didn’t want to start this afternoon. I haven’t started it since before the cold snap. So I have the battery charger on it. The battery was purchased in 2020. The other non hybrid vehicle next to it start just fine. 2 other hybrid cars outside start and run just fine. Even one that’s low on gas. It does have a fresh battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by BayeauxLex:
AMIRZA786 (01-17-24), LeX2K (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 10:13 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Old 01-17-24, 10:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I will say one of our gas vehicles didn’t want to start this afternoon. I haven’t started it since before the cold snap. So I have the battery charger on it. The battery was purchased in 2020. The other non hybrid vehicle next to it start just fine. 2 other hybrid cars outside start and run just fine. Even one that’s low on gas. It does have a fresh battery.
Fair warning if the high voltage battery runs out in a Toyota hybrid it is impossible to start the car. There is no way to charge the hybrid battery. Maybe there is some trick to force the gas engine to run if there is I haven't found it.

edit - I don't like that TFL was running all weather tires they is no substitute for winters.
BayeauxLex (01-17-24)
Old 01-18-24, 08:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Fair warning if the high voltage battery runs out in a Toyota hybrid it is impossible to start the car. There is no way to charge the hybrid battery. Maybe there is some trick to force the gas engine to run if there is I haven't found it.

edit - I don't like that TFL was running all weather tires they is no substitute for winters.
You can still jump the car by connecting to the low voltage battery. Always carry a portable jumper in my cars, does the trick
Old 01-18-24, 08:25 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I will say one of our gas vehicles didn’t want to start this afternoon. I haven’t started it since before the cold snap. So I have the battery charger on it. The battery was purchased in 2020.
Battery fully charged and back in business.
The following 2 users liked this post by BayeauxLex:
AMIRZA786 (01-18-24), LeX2K (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:10 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I have a dumb question. With the cold weather and reduced driving range on a roadtrip, does the trip planner take into account weather conditions? Or do you take it upon yourself and charge longer?
Old 01-18-24, 09:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have a dumb question. With the cold weather and reduced driving range on a roadtrip, does the trip planner take into account weather conditions? Or do you take it upon yourself and charge longer?
Yes, trip planner takes everything into account, including changing traffic patterns, weather etc
BayeauxLex (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You can still jump the car by connecting to the low voltage battery. Always carry a portable jumper in my cars, does the trick
Low voltage battery state of charge doesn't make any difference if the high voltage battery is dead.
Old 01-18-24, 09:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Low voltage battery state of charge doesn't make any difference if the high voltage battery is dead.
Sorry, yes you are correct. You probably have to perform some type of reset for the high voltage battery to start to recharge

Quick Reply: Charging in cold weather/range