EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck Sales Delay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 08:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
...On actual sales numbers, directly from Elon he said Tesla will make as many as needed perhaps 250,000 per year.
Maybe more than that.
Are we counting global market?
Old 12-28-23, 08:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,754 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Maybe more than that.
Are we counting global market?
Cybertruck is North America only for now. So I looked up F series sales they are not what I thought which was 900K+/year. This year will be ~720,000.

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...sales-numbers/
Old 12-29-23, 05:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

With all due respect you don't decide for me what is debatable.
Without trying to be rude, my point was that I simply am not going to debate it with you. I know what I said, meant.....and I am moving on.

I follow a bunch of Tesla nuts on X as well as Tesla haters I've never seen anyone say Cybertruck will sell 1 million units/year. If anyone says that I think they are crazy I don't see that happening. Ford has 60 years of loyalty built in.
Well, there are indeed a lot of crazy people on the Internet. I agree with you that the F-150 has long had a cult following....but in this new age of electric vehicles,, anything can happen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 07:11 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 561 Likes on 350 Posts

I think the only reasonable conclusion is that we are seeing a slow launch, not a sales delay. Tesla is going to sell as many as they can make regardless. Slow roll-out probably helps rather than hinders, keeps the launch hype going for longer.
Old 12-29-23, 05:05 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Cousin (in Chicagoland) was really early with his deposit and he expects to get his delivered around June/July.
Old 12-29-23, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Has anyone actually seen a Tesla Cybertruck on the road? ......I know I haven't. All we heard, for months, was what a sales-success this vehicle was going to be, and how it was going to push the F-150 (and the electric F-150 Lightning) out of first place. Apparently there must be either a lack of orders, delays in production/deliveries, quality-issues in some of them preventing delivery, or maybe some people just having second thoughts and cancelling their orders. Of course, things could change, and it could end up being a success. We saw, for example, long delays in getting the Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport into production...but, once deliveries began, they have both been explosive successes.
analysts are predicting around 60k produced in 2024, ramp up is going to be slow due to many new things such as stainless steel body and new 4680 cell dry batteries that they have to yet perfect for high volume production.

Tesla sets these hurdles for themselves to make it harder.

The following users liked this post:
mmarshall (12-30-23)
Old 12-29-23, 05:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Tesla sets these hurdles for themselves to make it harder.
That's not the reason.

edit - 60K would be quite good that would make it the fastest ramp of any EV pickup.

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-29-23 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 07:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

That's not the reason.

edit - 60K would be quite good that would make it the fastest ramp of any EV pickup.
i assume it will be towards end of he year.

As to not being the reason, try to tell me you wouldn't have liked them to produce 300k this year and 500k next year, as a shareholder? Easily possible without trying to figure out mass production of stainless steel as well as new 4680 battery process.

Comment simply mirrors what Munro mentioned when he talked to tesla engineers.
Old 12-29-23, 08:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

As to not being the reason, try to tell me you wouldn't have liked them to produce 300k this year and 500k next year, as a shareholder?
I don't look it at that way. Cybertruck is a proving ground for new tech that will propagate across all models that is far more valuable. Also, given how Tesla stock has performed since the IPO I 100% trust the direction the company continues to take.
Easily possible without trying to figure out mass production of stainless steel as well as new 4680 battery process.
4680 is very important to Tesla, it allows them to make cells via dry process this requires far less factory space, far less water and in general way cheaper to produce. 2nd generation 4680 already has about the same energy density as 2170's.
Comment simply mirrors what Munro mentioned when he talked to tesla engineers.
Tesla engineers have said what they are doing is very difficult not that they shouldn't be doing it.
Old 12-30-23, 11:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I don't look it at that way. Cybertruck is a proving ground for new tech that will propagate across all models that is far more valuable. Also, given how Tesla stock has performed since the IPO I 100% trust the direction the company continues to take.

4680 is very important to Tesla, it allows them to make cells via dry process this requires far less factory space, far less water and in general way cheaper to produce. 2nd generation 4680 already has about the same energy density as 2170's.

Tesla engineers have said what they are doing is very difficult not that they shouldn't be doing it.
You can look at it any way you want. They could have done what they did with Model Y, and perfected 4680 for one of the options in one factory.
Cyber Truck has many innovations for Tesla, so having 2 less would be great for their production ramp up. Stainless steel is like wing doors in Model X - it will not be added to any other car, and you will see Elon mention it was their mistake, 5 years from now.

Now, as a non shareholder and someone who would never buy a truck of any kind as I live in Europe, I like it. Try out all these technologies and trickle them down by 2025 for my next Model S.
Old 12-30-23, 03:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You can look at it any way you want. They could have done what they did with Model Y, and perfected 4680 for one of the options in one factory.
4680 is not model specific in any way putting them in Cybertruck or Semi or Y etc. doesn't fundamentally change cell development. Since 4680 in a relative sense is produced in low numbers it makes sense to put them in low volume models.
Stainless steel is like wing doors in Model X - it will not be added to any other car, and you will see Elon mention it was their mistake, 5 years from now.
Don't be so sure.

Either way, my bet is Cybertruck is going to sell in far higher numbers than most expect.
Old 12-30-23, 04:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

4680 is not model specific in any way putting them in Cybertruck or Semi or Y etc. doesn't fundamentally change cell development. Since 4680 in a relative sense is produced in low numbers it makes sense to put them in low volume models.

Don't be so sure.

Either way, my bet is Cybertruck is going to sell in far higher numbers than most expect.
Just my personal preference, Stainless steel is fine for the Cyber Truck, but if they implemented this in other models, I wouldn't be too happy about it. I think Spywolf is correct, its what makes the CT unique