EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

If you had to go back, what ICE would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 03:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Default If you had to go back, what ICE would you buy?

You've grown tired of smooth, instant on demand torque. EV sales begin to collapse, companies like Tesla, Polestar and Rivian fold. The price of electricity becomes unsustainable. Whatever the reason, you decide to go back to ICE vehicles. What would you go back to? The following is my list

Personal daily driver:

BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Why the M3 Comp and not the base M3? The base only comes with a 6 speed manual, and I just can't go back to a manual for a daily driver. After driving cars like the Polestar, Model Y and occasionally the Ioniq 5 for the last three years, the 3.0L TT inline 6 is the perfect compromise. I would probably stick with the RWD and this would be a car I would only lease

For the wife/family vehicle:

2023 Toyota Sienna Hybrid

The Sienna Hybrid is extremely efficient, roomy and comfortable, and seats 8. Yes it lacks power, sounds and feels horrible when you put your foot to the floor, but again, it's efficient...and my wife doesn't really care. She loves minivans, and this would be no exception. People don't realize the utility of a minivan until they have owned one

Beater/kids car

Toyota Camry Hybrid

What can I say about the Camry? It's inexpensive. They last forever, are efficient, and they last forever. Oh, I said that

What ICE would go back to? I would love to know!
Old 12-03-23, 03:39 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Hahaha, this is a fun idea. Instead of the EQS SUV, I’d look at an S-Class, G-Wagon, or 7-Series

Instead of the Model Y, probably a GLC Coupe, GLE Coupe, or BMW X4, X6.

Instead of the Tesla Cybertruck, most likely an F150, preferably Raptor 😁
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 04:05 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 684 Likes on 467 Posts

Practicality standpoint, I'd probably do one the Hybrid MAX Grand Highlander to replace the R1S. I could then justify getting rid of the Ody and probably pick up a Supra or something
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 05:40 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Miura
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23), jwong77 (12-05-23)
Old 12-03-23, 05:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I should probably mention that you should list cars that you would actually buy, and not the cars you fanaticized about as a drooling 14 year old as you looked at the poster hanging on your bedroom wall
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
JeffKeryk (12-03-23), TriC (12-04-23)
Old 12-03-23, 07:20 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I should probably mention that you should list cars that you would actually buy, and not the cars you fanaticized about as a drooling 14 year old as you looked at the poster hanging on your bedroom wall
Not sure there is another car I'd buy today... A CR-V or RAV4 hybrid probably makes sense, but why would anyone buy a sensible car? Makes no sense...
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23)
Old 12-04-23, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,510 Posts

i already have the ice fun car (lc500) but for an ice work car i'd probably get something like the new tucson or for more dough, mercedes glc or gle.
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 08:32 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't consider it "going back" but I did add a car to the family stable recently - a 2024 Hyundai Tucson SEL, for my son who is starting to drive. The Polestar2 will be replaced by another EV when the lease is up (1 year to go).
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
I don't consider it "going back" but I did add a car to the family stable recently - a 2024 Hyundai Tucson SEL, for my son who is starting to drive. The Polestar2 will be replaced by another EV when the lease is up (1 year to go).
January 2025 for me. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with (I may just buyout the lease)
Old 12-07-23, 08:45 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I’m not qualified () to answer this question but IMO the ICE selection is not much interesting as of right now in my price range. Most likely my next one will be EV. New GX seems like a good choice but will see how it drives.
This guy seems to know what he would want 😂

The following 2 users liked this post by 1111GS:
AMIRZA786 (12-07-23), LeX2K (12-07-23)
Old 12-07-23, 08:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I’m not qualified () to answer this question but IMO the ICE selection is not much interesting as of right now in my price range. Most likely my next one will be EV. New GX seems like a good choice but will see how it drives.
This guy seems to know what he would want 😂

LoL that took me a moment to unscramble my brain! I knew something was off, but couldn't figure what...🤣
Old 12-07-23, 08:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

That fits it pretty well with the Audi look.
signdetres (12-07-23)
Old 12-07-23, 11:52 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 495 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Hahaha, this is a fun idea. Instead of the EQS SUV, I'd look at an S-Class, G-Wagon, or 7-Series

Instead of the Model Y, probably a GLC Coupe, GLE Coupe, or BMW X4, X6.

Instead of the Tesla Cybertruck, most likely an F150, preferably Raptor 😁
Although it deviates from the primary purpose of this post, I would like to share my brief insight regarding my recent encounter with an S-Class. In short, I'd venture to say the likelihood of reverting to an ICE is highly unlikely. However, if I had to switch back, I would definitely go back to the ES 350 Ultra Luxury. But I have always wanted to try living with an A6 for a while.

After my EQS's steering column malfunctioned, I had to secure a loaner, which turned out to be a 2023 S-Class 500 with 437 miles on the odometer. Despite being priced between $130-143k, it failed to meet my expectations. Although the S-Class had more features than my EQS, its acceleration felt sluggish, and the drive sometimes felt cumbersome. It seems to drive much larger than it is and it is a big car. On the other hand, the EQS, despite weighing about 1000 lbs more, had a smoother driving experience with instantaneous acceleration and felt quicker and more agile. The S-Class tends to lurch from a stop if not handled carefully and feels like driving a barge. However, the S-Class excelled in some areas, such as quick and responsive braking, elevated Multi-contour seats, and better headroom. The massaging features were also more robust in the S-Class.
The lack of engine noise and transmission in the electric vehicle and the option to pre-climatize the car in a garage made me realize that I did not miss having an internal combustion engine vehicle. While the doors on the S-Class seemed more sturdy due to their full frame, the EQS's short drop function helped to minimize door vibration. I speculate that having frameless doors may increase noise from the road and wind. Overall, I found the experience of driving an electric vehicle to be much more satisfying.

You know, there are a ton of other comparisons and contrasts I could say about this, but I promised to keep it short and sweet. So, bottom line, I'd take my EQ over that higher-priced S-Class 500 any day of the week.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 12-08-23 at 12:08 AM.
signdetres (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 07:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
Although it deviates from the primary purpose of this post, I would like to share my brief insight regarding my recent encounter with an S-Class. In short, I'd venture to say the likelihood of reverting to an ICE is highly unlikely. However, if I had to switch back, I would definitely go back to the ES 350 Ultra Luxury. But I have always wanted to try living with an A6 for a while.

After my EQS's steering column malfunctioned, I had to secure a loaner, which turned out to be a 2023 S-Class 500 with 437 miles on the odometer. Despite being priced between $130-143k, it failed to meet my expectations. Although the S-Class had more features than my EQS, its acceleration felt sluggish, and the drive sometimes felt cumbersome. It seems to drive much larger than it is and it is a big car. On the other hand, the EQS, despite weighing about 1000 lbs more, had a smoother driving experience with instantaneous acceleration and felt quicker and more agile. The S-Class tends to lurch from a stop if not handled carefully and feels like driving a barge. However, the S-Class excelled in some areas, such as quick and responsive braking, elevated Multi-contour seats, and better headroom. The massaging features were also more robust in the S-Class.
The lack of engine noise and transmission in the electric vehicle and the option to pre-climatize the car in a garage made me realize that I did not miss having an internal combustion engine vehicle. While the doors on the S-Class seemed more sturdy due to their full frame, the EQS's short drop function helped to minimize door vibration. I speculate that having frameless doors may increase noise from the road and wind. Overall, I found the experience of driving an electric vehicle to be much more satisfying.

You know, there are a ton of other comparisons and contrasts I could say about this, but I promised to keep it short and sweet. So, bottom line, I'd take my EQ over that higher-priced S-Class 500 any day of the week.
That's why I believe electric cars will eventually sell themselves as people try them out. You can't match their smooth as silk drivetrains and driving dynamics. It's not that ICE cars are bad, it's just they feel old and sluggish too me now, and I have to "readjust". Even recently driving my friends M5... awesome car, but it feels rough compared to my Polestar, Model Y and Ioniq 5. Although I'll admit, I could easily readjust to that 600 HP TT V8
Old 12-08-23, 07:55 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22

Thank you for sharing! If you change your mind on the bolded part, I am all ears, I always appreciate your insight!

Quick Reply: If you had to go back, what ICE would you buy?