EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EQS Ownership Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 02:36 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Found a 🔌. I do what I can to stay in EV mode.
Old 05-11-24, 02:48 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 318 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
How should he adapt when there are NO working chargers along the route he travels for business?

He reached one road trip destination so he stopped at the Mercedes dealer and charged so he would have juice to drive around. He chooses to charge to 100%. Then charged to 100% so he could drive back home. No EA chargers along that route. This is the same 210 mile route my friend MYLR can’t make it without stopping for a 5-10 min charge around the halfway mark.

380 miles estimated or useable?

The matter at hand partly pertains to the order of priorities when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, particularly for someone whose needs require using an ICE in specific scenarios. Although it is praiseworthy that your friend has recognized the necessity of an ICE for their requirements, the confusion, and therefore, colorful characterization of their mindset, lies in choosing a high-end luxury ride to tool around town when, in contrast, most of their driving time is spent in what many would consider a less hospitable vehicle. The apparent lack of consideration for an EV lifestyle may have led to an afterthought solution that may not be universally relatable. There have been plenty of times when hindsight 20/20 came into play in my life, and I spent time kicking my own ***! Hence, I spend more time trying to be more understanding than being disrespectfully judgmental. While personal perspectives and experiences may vary, it is important to understand that if a decision makes sense to an individual, it may not necessarily be wrong for them. Just don't expect public consumption of this knowledge, especially on an opinionated board, to yield anything other than personally relatable opinions that are particularly pointed in nature.

"If I had a nickel for every time I learned a lesson from my mistakes, I'd be so broke that I wouldn't even be able to afford a penny for my thoughts."

-- ME

Last edited by UltraLux22; 05-11-24 at 02:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

This is a guy who’s not going to read around on EV forums. He probably read what was on the window sticker and took what his salesperson or whatever the technology person told him about the car and went on his merry way.
Like we said…he’s an idiot lol. A fool and his money are soon parted.

As for the EQS range, look it up. That’s that negative slant I am talking about. There are many range tests out there, the EQS gets 380 miles of range at 75 MPH. All you have to do is google.
Old 05-11-24, 06:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

EQS actually gets it's published range, and in many cases more. The exception is in extreme cold weather, but that's the case for all EV'S
Old 05-11-24, 07:07 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like we said…he’s an idiot lol. A fool and his money are soon parted.

As for the EQS range, look it up. That’s that negative slant I am talking about. There are many range tests out there, the EQS gets 380 miles of range at 75 MPH. All you have to do is google.
Wow oh wow. Thats all I have to say.

Old 05-11-24, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Sounds like purchasing the A class made trips comfortable
so 50k for comfortable business trips. why not just rent a car for those trips?

He mentioned he’s ended up on a tow truck 2x trying to find a working charger on trips. The charging infrastructure isn’t here if you’re a non Tesla owner.
what's clear to me from your posts is this guy bought an eqs with the intention/expectation to be able to drive it EXACTLY as an ice vehicle. figured he can fill the 'tank' to the 'brim', can charge wherever/whenever. in other words, he bought a car without doing any research. he may not be on forums like this, but he clearly made an expensive purchase with an intention not aligned with the car and infrastructure's abilities. that makes him at best naïve, at worst an idiot. by the way i didn't write he IS an idiot, i wrote he sounds like an idiot. but you've provided plenty of evidence as to why he's a blithering idiot.

He reverted back to what he’s known to work his entire life…he purchased a gas vehicle. How that makes him an idiot?
he bought a 100k+ car that doesn't remotely come close to meeting his needs and he has apparently no curiosity to learn how to use it effectively. so instead of selling the car and getting something else, he buys another 50k car (guessing on prices for both) for the 'trips', leaving the eqs to gather dust.

Looking at EA charging map where he said he frequently make business trips, there’s 1 EA station along in between that 3 1/2hr drive and it’s 2hrs away. After that, ZERO. And hopefully that one works. So I can see why he tries to make it to the Mercedes dealer where he’s familiar they have a working charger.
if all true, he obviously did no charging research before buying. even less excusable as his relative (i think you said) owns the dealer.

in comparison, before i got an ev, i rented one for a week to learn about the experience, to calibrate my understanding toward 'reality', learn about the trade-offs, benefits, etc. i also looked at my driving habits, and the charging options in about a 250 mi radius around me, which also isn't great, but with planning it can work. i also knew i don't take a lot of trips, but the two long weekend long trips i've taken have worked out with zero issues because of planning ahead.

Far as changing at home, I don’t know his situation as to why he doesn’t have a charger at home. I can insinuate it wouldn’t make much sense if he’s considering a gas S class as maybe his next vehicle. That’s $3k gone down the drain.
if he's considering a gas s-class, then what's he waiting for since the eqs isn't doing it for him in the way he wants to use it.

As a fellow owner, what should I suggest to him if the charger isn’t working and like you said he doesn’t have access to Tesla chargers?
his trip planning should include contingency plans. "if this plan doesn't work, what will i do?" if the 'plan' is only "go here, charge, repeat" then it is naïve at best, idiotic is more like it.

If he is comfortable in an A Class for trips then he wasted his money on an EQS lol. He should just sell the EQS and use the money for something he actually understands the value of and gets enjoyment from. Nothing wrong with cars that aren’t $100k, but he has spent $100k and refuses to adapt so that he can get enjoyment out of what he bought.

And sorry, from your descriptions the guy is an idiot.

He refuses to adapt and learn how to best use his vehicle he spent over $100,000 on and instead bought ANOTHER much less enjoyable vehicle to do most of his driving with when he should have just bought a vehicle that met all of his needs.
amen.

The other advice he needs to listen to is to stop wasting his time charging to 100%. It’s making his charge stops take 4 times as long as they have to.
and again, amen. but this guy has a rigid mind, refusing to learn anything new.

How should he adapt when there are NO working chargers along the route he travels for business?
i don't believe this. can you give me this person's rough location and rough location where he needs to get to?

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I would use the term "ignorant" to describe their lack of knowledge in this area. In fact, I was once ignorant of the necessary elements that go into embracing an EV lifestyle until I decided to take the plunge and gain first-hand experience. Of course, I understand. Ignorance can be forgiven, but not preparing oneself is an entirely different matter. It's always better to be well-prepared and informed than to act foolishly and regret later. Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not an excuse for being caught off guard. Being prepared for the EV lifestyle empowers you to navigate its challenges with confidence and capability.
exactly. this person apparently did no preparation, has no clue, but has money to burn (wasting 50k on an ice car for 'trips').

My approach to situations, especially those that could leave me stranded, is to be meticulous in my thinking. During a recent road trip, I faced a frustrating situation at an EA charging station, which momentarily made me question my sanity and choice of an EV lifestyle. Well, as they say, where there's a will, there's a way - even if it involves a few expletives and creative problem-solving! At least I can laugh about it now.
exactly. my first EA experience had me anxious as it wasn't working with the 'tap' and 'charge'. but i looked into a bit and learned i could just put the charger location/number in the app and it would tell the charger to charge. after that first time i didn't bother with the tap/nfc way. maybe it will work better at some point.

This is a guy who’s not going to read around on EV forums. He probably read what was on the window sticker and took what his salesperson or whatever the technology person told him about the car and went on his merry way.
is this the guy's name?

Like we said…he’s an idiot lol. A fool and his money are soon parted. As for the EQS range, look it up. That’s that negative slant I am talking about. There are many range tests out there, the EQS gets 380 miles of range at 75 MPH. All you have to do is google.

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (05-13-24)
Old 05-11-24, 07:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so 50k for comfortable business trips. why not just rent a car for those trips?

what's clear to me from your posts is this guy bought an eqs with the intention/expectation to be able to drive it EXACTLY as an ice vehicle. figured he can fill the 'tank' to the 'brim', can charge wherever/whenever. in other words, he bought a car without doing any research. he may not be on forums like this, but he clearly made an expensive purchase with an intention not aligned with the car and infrastructure's abilities. that makes him at best naïve, at worst an idiot. by the way i didn't write he IS an idiot, i wrote he sounds like an idiot. but you've provided plenty of evidence as to why he's a blithering idiot.

he bought a 100k+ car that doesn't remotely come close to meeting his needs and he has apparently no curiosity to learn how to use it effectively. so instead of selling the car and getting something else, he buys another 50k car (guessing on prices for both) for the 'trips', leaving the eqs to gather dust.

if all true, he obviously did no charging research before buying. even less excusable as his relative (i think you said) owns the dealer.

in comparison, before i got an ev, i rented one for a week to learn about the experience, to calibrate my understanding toward 'reality', learn about the trade-offs, benefits, etc. i also looked at my driving habits, and the charging options in about a 250 mi radius around me, which also isn't great, but with planning it can work. i also knew i don't take a lot of trips, but the two long weekend long trips i've taken have worked out with zero issues because of planning ahead.

if he's considering a gas s-class, then what's he waiting for since the eqs isn't doing it for him in the way he wants to use it.

his trip planning should include contingency plans. "if this plan doesn't work, what will i do?" if the 'plan' is only "go here, charge, repeat" then it is naïve at best, idiotic is more like it.

amen.

and again, amen. but this guy has a rigid mind, refusing to learn anything new.

i don't believe this. can you give me this person's rough location and rough location where he needs to get to?

exactly. this person apparently did no preparation, has no clue, but has money to burn (wasting 50k on an ice car for 'trips').

exactly. my first EA experience had me anxious as it wasn't working with the 'tap' and 'charge'. but i looked into a bit and learned i could just put the charger location/number in the app and it would tell the charger to charge. after that first time i didn't bother with the tap/nfc way. maybe it will work better at some point.

is this the guy's name?

You guys are merciless meanies 🤣
Old 05-18-24, 03:23 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 318 Posts
Default "Why Mercedes’ $100,000 Electric Jellybean Flopped" article

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-sedan-flopped
Old 05-20-24, 03:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

With S class deppreciating 31.5% as well, i see car market has moved back to its usual antics. Mercedes has had EQS facelift to improve comfort, luxury and looks, which were all lacking.