EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

"Consumers are tired of having to do everything via the screen"

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 02:54 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In Tesla's case, there is button functionality. For example, audio volume is the right thumb wheel. Well, I guess that's a wheel not a button so fry me...
You want confusing? Here's our RX steering wheel and dashboard... Or check out the German stuff.
As a previous RX owner, this is not confusing to me at all and I actually like this layout.
Old 11-17-23, 08:41 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, we want buttons!
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (11-17-23)
Old 11-17-23, 08:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Yes, we want buttons!
Here you go

Lots of buttons!
BayeauxLex (11-17-23)
Old 11-17-23, 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Modern, clean and simple:

Cluttered, ancient, and so yesterday:

It's all a matter of choice, but for me, it's a no brainer. I've used both, give me a clean, simple easy to use interface any day. Flip phone or Smartphone, I'll take Smartphone
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
JeffKeryk (11-17-23), Margate330 (11-17-23)
Old 11-17-23, 09:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Modern, clean and simple:

Cluttered, ancient, and so yesterday:

It's all a matter of choice, but for me, it's a no brainer. I've used both, give me a clean, simple easy to use interface any day. Flip phone or Smartphone, I'll take Smartphone

Ok, since it's all a matter of perspective, please allow me to play devil's advocate just for fun.

The above pic can be a swiss army knife aka an "all in one" solution.

The below pic represents having the right tool for the job, neatly grouped by function.

I realize there is no "right answer" but just another way to look at it, maybe, heck I don't know. Lol...
The following 3 users liked this post by Margate330:
AMIRZA786 (11-17-23), jwong77 (11-17-23), MattRX (12-25-23)
Old 11-17-23, 09:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok, since it's all a matter of perspective, please allow me to play devil's advocate just for fun.

The below pic represents having the right tool for the job, neatly grouped by function.

I realize there is no "right answer" but just another way to look at it, maybe, heck I don't know. Lol...
I'll call your bluff and raise you

On my Tesla, I am able to do most functions much faster using the "swiss knife", aka infotainment screen. Things like turning on the HVAC, adjusting vents, using the radio, mapping to a destination, etc. In the Lexus, I have scan all those hundreds of buttons (I'm exaggerating of course ) to find the one I need. Also, the Tesla saves my preferences and stores them, so if my wife drives the car and changes stuff around, everything will reset back to my preferences stored in my profile. Which can btw be transferred to another Tesla, as the profile settings are stored in the Tesla cloud.

The most important thing is the cleaner look of the cabin. No cluttered buttons and ***** filling up the dash and steering wheel.

It's a matter of perspective. If you like buttons and *****, more power to you. I'm not going to judge. I just personally find Tesla's layout to be much neater and clean looking to the eye, and not busy like the layout in the RX
Old 11-17-23, 10:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,473 Posts

it doesn't have to be either / or. i don't like either of those setups frankly.
the podcast i posted on elon musk explains his obsessions with 'deleting' parts from manufacturing, which explains the no buttons, no stalks, half a steering wheel, etc.
it's no secret i'm not a big fan of touch screens in cars. however i'm a big fan of the ipad, but i use one with the magic keyboard which gives me a) a physical keyboard, and b) a touchpad to move a cursor on the screen. using the ipad by itslef is pretty clunky with the keyboard filling a third of the screen and often getting 'in the way' when you're trying to do stuff.
being able to do key sequences like cmd-r for refresh, or cmd-z/x/c/v/a for undo/cut/copy/paste/select-all is very handy and annoying if not impossible to accomplish with the touch screen only.
there's a reason a computer with a mouse is popular, and not just a big touch screen monitor, which sucks for detailed work.

having said that, tesla has done a great job given the constraints of having only the screen, but it's not for me.
Old 11-17-23, 10:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the podcast i posted on elon musk explains his obsessions with 'deleting' parts from manufacturing, which explains the no buttons, no stalks, half a steering wheel, etc.
it's no secret i'm not a big fan of touch screens in cars. however i'm a big fan of the ipad, but i use one with the magic keyboard which gives me a) a physical keyboard, and b) a touchpad to move a cursor on the screen. using the ipad by itslef is pretty clunky with the keyboard filling a third of the screen and often getting 'in the way' when you're trying to do stuff.
being able to do key sequences like cmd-r for refresh, or cmd-z/x/c/v/a for undo/cut/copy/paste/select-all is very handy and annoying if not impossible to accomplish with the touch screen only.
there's a reason a computer with a mouse is popular, and not just a big touch screen monitor, which sucks for detailed work.

having said that, tesla has done a great job given the constraints of having only the screen, but it's not for me.
Like you, I was also not a big fan of touchscreens, and preferred buttons and *****, until I got a partial foot in the door after getting the Polestar. And like you, I also think it's a matter of perspective...if someone likes buttons and ***** (I call the flip phone analogy ), I'm totally fine with that and am not making any judgements.

As far as removing stalks, like the turn signal stalk or gear stalk, I'm not a fan of that. But I'm guessing it's really not that bad because people like @patgilm are fine with it, and remember, he came from the button world, and still has his foot in it owning an X5 (or is it X3?).

I haven't had a chance to listen to the Elon podcast, but it's on my list. Just need to find the time.

BTW, I'm finding myself having more and more respect for Elon. I can't really express the reasons here, but the guy has guts. That's all I'll say on the subject
Old 11-17-23, 10:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Like you, I was also not a big fan of touchscreens, and preferred buttons and *****, until I got a partial foot in the door after getting the Polestar. And like you, I also think it's a matter of perspective...if someone likes buttons and ***** (I call the flip phone analogy ), I'm totally fine with that and am not making any judgements.
You're awesome @AMIRZA786 .

I have to push your buttons and get your blood pressure up and give a hassle to you. Haha 😂

Ahhh, now I see why you banned buttons. Lol

Being serious, the look is too clean, if that's possible, and I see where this is going.

Once the neural link is included in the Tesla car purchase, they're gonna take your touch screen away, thought command and voice only, it's coming. Haha
AMIRZA786 (11-17-23)
Old 11-17-23, 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You're awesome @AMIRZA786 .

I have to push your buttons and get your blood pressure up and give a hassle to you. Haha 😂

Ahhh, now I see why you banned buttons. Lol

Being serious, the look is too clean, if that's possible, and I see where this is going.

Once the neural link is included in the Tesla car purchase, they're gonna take your touch screen away, thought command and voice only, it's coming. Haha
Haha thanks

The Neural link will probably be like Stephen Kings TommyKnockers where a device links to your brain . If you haven't read the book or seen the mini series, check it out

Old 11-17-23, 11:31 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

but with the Tesla, the right tool is always just an update away. And can be customized how you want. If Tesla wanted to give us the option to turn the entire screen into one gigantic on/off “button” they could. The options are endless for personalization.

But the bottom pic is always “stuck in time”. Like an in dash 8-tracks player 😂😂😂
AMIRZA786 (11-17-23)
Old 11-17-23, 11:42 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

master the swipe function on the small onscreen iPad keyboard. BEST INVENTION EVER. It really transforms the iPad’s usability
Old 11-17-23, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tdes395
master the swipe function on the small onscreen iPad keyboard. BEST INVENTION EVER. It really transforms the iPad’s usability
ah interesting... i'm a huge fan of swiping to type from google/android world.
i knew it was an option on the iphone i just switched to (and use) but didn't know about the option to use a 'small' keyboard on ipad or that swipe was supported... good info, thanks!
Old 11-17-23, 02:11 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 327 Posts

The touch screen interface can be frustrating, especially for new Tesla drivers, but also for early adopters like me at times. Again, I just use voice commands. "Set the temp to 70." "Turn up the fan." "Blow my face".
"Set the temperature/fan..." "Turn on the air conditioning/dog mode/camp mode..." "Make it warmer" "Set the driver's seat warmer to..." "Decrease fan speed..." "I'm cold" "Turn on recirculate"

The beautiful Lexus dash forces me to look for the appropriate button, dial, whatever. Gotta search and take you hand off the wheel.
Some traditional cars have multi use buttons, but a software based design offers far more functionality.

After having the Tesla for the past few years, I find our Lexi unnecessarily complicated. Seriously, there is no comparison.
Old 11-17-23, 04:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
After having the Tesla for the past few years, I find our Lexi unnecessarily complicated. Seriously, there is no comparison.
obviously not all 'lexi' are the same. i find my lc500 pretty minimal and simple inside. it has fairly decent voice commands, plus i can use apple carplay.

i will say because the steering wheel controls are different to the hyundai that can be a bit confusing for a second when switching between the two vehicles, but that's typical between 2 vendors.
BayeauxLex (11-17-23)

Quick Reply: "Consumers are tired of having to do everything via the screen"