EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

tesla 'vision' for parking sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 10:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
The YouTube video is 4 months old. It was incorrect then and is incorrect now.

Model Y does not have radar or HD radar, it’s camera only.

The only way Model Y sees the parking block or curb is from the camera at the top of the windshield. It approximates the distance and uses its best guess as to where the block or curb is when it’s out of sight of the camera.
Makes me wonder why they did it that way.

It's not an ideal setup. Imo
Old 10-02-23, 10:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 638 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
...why would it be on released manual? ...
From your linked manual:

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 10:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,576 Posts

The YouTube video is 4 months old. It was incorrect then and is incorrect now.

Model Y does not have radar or HD radar, it’s camera only.

The only way Model Y sees the parking block or curb is from the camera at the top of the windshield. It approximates the distance and uses its best guess as to where the block or curb is when it’s out of sight of the camera.
This seems to be exactly the case. In the case of curbs, the side cameras are used and as stated above, an approximate guess is made, which errs on the conservative side
Old 10-02-23, 10:29 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

I agree. It’s not ideal and leaves a lot of room on the table for error.

Do I believe Tesla can figure out how to get this working 99% of the time in 99% of scenarios? Yes. But it’s not there yet, nowhere close.

And the fact that they are dabbling with radar and adding it back does give me some further doubts in the camera only system.

If the current camera system had no blind spots and they had a proper front bumper camera, I’d say it would be no issue. But there are literal blind spots.

yeah, not ideal…
Old 10-02-23, 10:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

Because Elon said so. He believes in a Vision only system and believes it can be eventually trained and optimized. There are many people that say it's a cost cutting measure, I've come to believe that's not the case. Tesla could easily add the few hundred dollars they save to customers, so I don't believe it's cost cutting, but more of advancing technology he believes strongly in
Old 10-02-23, 10:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,779 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Vision only is the future. But there needs to be vision, no camera in the front bumper is stupid. This is one of those things that shows the disconnect between aspiration and reality, very Steve Jobs like.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Margate330 (10-02-23), signdetres (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 10:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

I assume the ultrasonic sensors I have are still working and I assume it is working in conjunction with vision but I have no complaints. Even for parking curbs its accurate enough where it is not an issue and it definitely helps me to not run one over. I do think a 360 overhead view is great in my BMW and is pretty darn accurate when I want to park close to a curb on the right or left side of my car and if Tesla added that it would be even better.

And the fact that they are dabbling with radar and adding it back does give me some further doubts in the camera only system.
Are they really dabbling with radar? They literally just disabled/capped my radar sensor a couple weeks ago.

Old 10-02-23, 10:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Vision only is the future. But there needs to be vision, no camera in the front bumper is stupid. This is one of those things that shows the disconnect between aspiration and reality, very Steve Jobs like.
I totally agree, they need a camera on the front bumper. I've seen the improvements first hand, and vision only can work, but it's just not there yet and a front bumper camera would help it along better
signdetres (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 10:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I assume the ultrasonic sensors I have are still working and I assume it is working in conjunction with vision but I have no complaints. Even for parking curbs its accurate enough where it is not an issue and it definitely helps me to not run one over. I do think a 360 overhead view is great in my BMW and is pretty darn accurate when I want to park close to a curb on the right or left side of my car and if Tesla added that it would be even better.

Are they really dabbling with radar? They literally just disabled/capped my radar sensor a couple weeks ago.
If you've received software updates, your ultrasonic sensors are probably disabled, but don't quote me on that
Old 10-02-23, 10:46 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I totally agree, they need a camera on the front bumper. I've seen the improvements first hand, and vision only can work, but it's just not there yet and a front bumper camera would help it along better
Maybe they don't want to put one there in case of potential damage and let's say you get in a minor infraction and it's really minor but affects the camera, that could be costly to fix for the owner (although does a manufacture really care about that, probably not).
Old 10-02-23, 10:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

If you've received software updates, your ultrasonic sensors are probably disabled, but don't quote me on that
Well if they disabled it I haven't really noticed it so vision appears to be working pretty good IMO.
Old 10-02-23, 10:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,779 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Someone needs to grow a pair and tell Elon, bruh we need a bumper camera. Explain logically why and he'll listen. I'd do it on X but I don't have the reach need someone with influence. Hardware 4 has extra camera ports already.

I bet in a week they could have it working with a new camera. Heck it might be already coded for it.
Well if they disabled it I haven't really noticed it so vision appears to be working pretty good IMO.
Could be wrong but I believe Tesla left the X and S alone, disabled it on the 3/Y.
Old 10-02-23, 10:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Maybe they don't want to put one there in case of potential damage and let's say you get in a minor infraction and it's really minor but affects the camera, that could be costly to fix for the owner (although does a manufacture really care about that, probably not).
That could be a reason they didn't put a camera there. Someone backing into your car could cause you visits to the service center
Old 10-02-23, 10:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it works really well for me, about 95 percent of the time. Times it's not working, are when there is a camera obstruction
Old 10-02-23, 10:53 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Yes, allegedly there have been HW4 Model S and X that already have HD radar added back. Allegedly though.

HD Radar is supposed to be a part of the whole HW4 sensor suite. So far, HW4 has been shipping, but without HD radar.

Meanwhile, yes, they have been disabling the older “standard” radars on cars.

They’ve sent updates that disabled “standard” radar if it was equipped with it.

Cars with ultrasonics still use the parking sensors for parking and Autopilot duties. I do not think they will disable parking sensors on older cars until Tesla Vision can 100% match or exceed the capabilities of the ultrasonics.
AMIRZA786 (10-02-23)

Quick Reply: tesla 'vision' for parking sucks