EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model 3 Highland Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 09:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Many ppl don’t care except for badge and brand name.
99% of Teslas are white or black with base wheels. People just get the cheapest and most vanilla trim.

The genius of Tesla is its specifically setup production for almost no customization. This is more of a Toyota playbook than MB/BMW.
You are doing the same thing Lexus owners do to BMW owners...tell them about their experiences even though they don't own or never owned a BMW in their lives. They make assumptions because of what they read or what they heard from a "family member or friend" that BMW's are unreliable and alway break down, and that BMW owners just accept that as part of the ownership experience because they (BMW owners) think a car needing extra maint and breaking down regularly is normal.

You are totally wrong about Tesla owners. Most can easily afford a 5 Series or X Series, an S-class etc. $1500 extra for a different paint color is chump change. They buy Tesla's because they drive amazing, are technological marvels, almost never need maint and are amazing to drive. Oh I said that. Why would someone who drove BMW's all their lives suddenly buy a Tesla? It's not because they decided they want to save money or the environment, it's because the Tesla is giving them a better driving experience
Old 07-27-23, 09:43 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Lol...I owned a (tuned) X3M, prefer my MYP for speed, tech, ride, simplicity, reliability, maintenance, etc. I guess I'm not an enthusiast....🙃🙃
Reliability LOL - how many ppl got a new Tesla and needed to get a battery replaced or some other software mishap.

Maint - I take my car once per year for service and get a loaner.

Speed - X3 is faster except from a dig. Btw if your battery is at 50%, good luck with the speed aspect.

Ride - Msport adjustable suspension on X3 has good ride for a sporty SUV. I don’t recall ride on Model Y.

Tech - Tesla is good for some things but then doesn’t offer basic tech that other cars have standard even.

If you value Styling, customization, interior quality etc - its not even close.
Old 07-27-23, 09:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Reliability LOL - how many ppl got a new Tesla and needed to get a battery replaced or some other software mishap.

Maint - I take my car once per year for service and get a loaner.

Speed - X3 is faster except from a dig. Btw if your battery is at 50%, good luck with the speed aspect.

Ride - Msport adjustable suspension on X3 has good ride for a sporty SUV. I don’t recall ride on Model Y.

Tech - Tesla is good for some things but then doesn’t offer basic tech that other cars have standard even.

If you value Styling, customization, interior quality etc - its not even close.
Well if what you say is true (it's 100 percent not), than Elon is genius because he has all your Bimmer friend brainwashed into moving to Tesla
Old 07-27-23, 09:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

Another ICE vs EV fight better not be brewing or people are going to get booted from the thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23), Mike728 (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 09:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,742 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
3 came out 2 years before the Y.
Tesla is a far more mature company now.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 10:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla is a far more mature company now.
One release at a time keeps the tension and excitement going. I'm sure the Model Y refresh will come out shortly after the Model 3's
Old 07-27-23, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
One release at a time keeps the tension and excitement going.
True.
I'm sure the Model Y refresh will come out shortly after the Model 3's
How shortly? It will be a little odd to have the new 3 in showrooms but the old Y.

My point is this is not the Tesla of 2017 back then they were struggling to make anything at scale. Now, Tesla has the highest volume factory in North America and in China the highest volume car factory in general.
Old 07-27-23, 12:02 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

True.

How shortly? It will be a little odd to have the new 3 in showrooms but the old Y.

My point is this is not the Tesla of 2017 back then they were struggling to make anything at scale. Now, Tesla has the highest volume factory in North America and in China the highest volume car factory in general.
isn’t that the case for every car company? Lexus doesn’t introduce new ES and RX at the same time.
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,863 Posts

It really doesn’t offer anything better than X3.
Unless you want the EV powertrain and then you wouldn't even consider an X3.

Model 3 and Y are everywhere and incredibly successful, so any argument that they are "terrible" or whatever is just absurd. The hundreds of thousands of people a year who buy them are not wrong because they don't agree with you. Would I buy one? No. That doesn't mean the product is bad or that all the people who do are wrong.

And as for seeing mostly white and black ones, 41% of all cars sold are white or black...
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 12:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

In 3 years the Model Y went from zero to best selling car I doubt that's ever happened before.
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
isn’t that the case for every car company? Lexus doesn’t introduce new ES and RX at the same time.
I get your point but Tesla is not like every other car company they don't have 30 versions of the same platform.
Old 07-27-23, 12:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Unless you want the EV powertrain and then you wouldn't even consider an X3.

Model 3 and Y are everywhere and incredibly successful, so any argument that they are "terrible" or whatever is just absurd. The hundreds of thousands of people a year who buy them are not wrong because they don't agree with you. Would I buy one? No. That doesn't mean the product is bad or that all the people who do are wrong.

And as for seeing mostly white and black ones, 41% of all cars sold are white or black...
Spot on statement . I have no issues with people who don't want or like Tesla's. It's a personal choice, no matter how good "I" think Tesla's are, I know not everyone wants one or likes them and for all I know, it doesn't meet their specific wants or needs. I do have a problem with getting into the heads on behalf of millions of people who bought them. Only they know why they bought one, and we are vocal group so it's not hard to figure that out why we made this particular choice
Old 07-27-23, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Spot on statement . I have no issues with people who don't want or like Tesla's. It's a personal choice, no matter how good "I" think Tesla's are, I know not everyone wants one or likes them and for all I know, it doesn't meet their specific wants or needs. I do have a problem with getting into the heads on behalf of millions of people who bought them. Only they know why they bought one, and we are vocal group so it's not hard to figure that out why we made this particular choice
Exactly. The success is undeniable.
Old 07-27-23, 12:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

In 3 years the Model Y went from zero to best selling car I doubt that's ever happened before.

I get your point but Tesla is not like every other car company they don't have 30 versions of the same platform.
Just my 2 cents, but I think introducing them separately is the smart move. Build the hype for the project Highland Model 3, than later on build hype for the Model Y refresh. PLUS...you don't want people canceling existing orders or playing the waiting game
Old 07-27-23, 12:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. The success is undeniable.
And it's not just good marketing because frankly, Tesla has no marketing . In the early days of the Roadster and the Model S, it's true that people bought them to make a statement, but how can that be in 2023 when they are delivering nearly 500,000 cars per quarter? If I really, really wanted to make a statement, I would buy an S Class, a Bentley or a 7 Series. Or a Giant Hummer EV. Just my opinion

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-27-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 01:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Just my 2 cents, but I think introducing them separately is the smart move. Build the hype for the project Highland Model 3, than later on build hype for the Model Y refresh. PLUS...you don't want people canceling existing orders or playing the waiting game
But if you see the new Model 3 won't you want the Model Y with all the new 3 goodies?

Quick Reply: Model 3 Highland Revealed