EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model 3 Highland Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 04:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
End product is just vanilla, nothing wrong with that but it’s not how most luxury automakers appeal to their customer base.

Nobody will confuse Taycan with Model S. One is a beautiful design, the other is generic car that looks like all the other Teslas. The interiors are even more different.
Its working, maybe the situation is that what you like and want out of a car is just not what many, many, many people want.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 05:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Lol...I owned a (tuned) X3M, prefer my MYP for speed, tech, ride, simplicity, reliability, maintenance, etc. I guess I'm not an enthusiast....🙃🙃
So I was passenger in my coworkers X3 last month (the model with the 3.0L TT V6), and it's really nice. Very comfortable seats, good suspension, road isolation, nice controls and instrument layout etc. Power is also really good (I think it had hybrid assist)... but, just my opinion, it now feels primitive to me. Even my Polestar which is a simple sedan with almost no bells and whistles feels more advanced. Do I think it's a really good SUV? Yes I do, and I would even consider one....if the Model Y didn't exist 😔
Old 07-26-23, 05:39 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=LeX2K;11548082When I first saw the Model 3 interior I thought Tesla had lost their damn minds. I was very wrong.

I love the unobstructed view it's awesome.[/QUOTE]

🤣🤣🤣I felt the same was way at first. But it has really grown on me too. And I especially love the screen and the software and all the fun you can have with it.
Old 07-26-23, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Now tune the german and see how that goes....oh wait. They can keep up with plaids.
are you referring to the 'german' audis with engines made in hungary, or the 'german' bmws and mercedes, the majority of which are made in south carolina and alabama respectively?
Old 07-26-23, 07:22 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 245 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
are you referring to the 'german' audis with engines made in hungary, or the 'german' bmws and mercedes, the majority of which are made in south carolina and alabama respectively?
BMW SUVs are made in South Carolina, M cars are still made in Germany but I’ve heard some M-lite cars are now made in Mexico. My M340 was made in Germany.
Old 07-26-23, 07:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Too much BMW talk.

So why would Highland come out much sooner than a Model Y refresh? They are almost the same car.
Old 07-26-23, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
So why would Highland come out much sooner than a Model Y refresh? They are almost the same car.
let the 3 highland buyers work out the kinks because they're 'enthusiasts'
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (07-27-23)
Old 07-26-23, 08:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let the 3 highland buyers work out the kinks because they're 'enthusiasts'
Lol that's how it's done
Old 07-27-23, 02:24 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
This outclasses Camry and Taurus in every way possible.
Interior is trash. Let's see if they've done something about it but given Musk's recent fall from grace, kinda doubt it.

Front looks absolutely fine.
Old 07-27-23, 05:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 628 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Too much BMW talk.

3 came out 2 years before the Y.
Old 07-27-23, 08:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Interior is trash. Let's see if they've done something about it but given Musk's recent fall from grace, kinda doubt it.

Front looks absolutely fine.
I disagree with that. The interior is as good and comfortable as my 2nd Gen IS350...except it's not leather. If in two years the faux leather goes bad, tears or fades, or the cushion starts to tear or go bad, I'll be in agreement with you. If you are talking about lack of buttons and the plain vanilla look of the cabin, than that's just a matter of taste. Is it Lexus build quality? No for sure not
Old 07-27-23, 09:14 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm talking about usability. I don't care if it's made out of indestructible materials that are just the perfect thing for the case.

As for "a matter of taste" - having to take your eyes off the road to control basic things that everybody does is beyond ridiculous. Wipers, AC (including defrost), steering wheel position, mirrors (there are buttons for the seats but the steering column and mirrors were... what?), lights. For some reason, the hazards button is in a ridiculous spot as well, and they did manage to "integrate" it in a sane spot (you know, right below the center touchscreen) with their "design" in the Model S.

Anyways, plenty of non Tesla EVs around here so I'm not too worried. The fact that a lot of other manufacturers are jumping on the touch screen-only glare wagon does have me worried. Honorable mention to the prius 5 for having a notably worse gauge cluster than the slap-on big ultrawide touchscreen style ones, of course.

Pretty much the only things that I really like about the model 3 are the price and the use of LFP batteries. Then again, Tesla's always done the batteries right.
Old 07-27-23, 09:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I'm talking about usability. I don't care if it's made out of indestructible materials that are just the perfect thing for the case.

As for "a matter of taste" - having to take your eyes off the road to control basic things that everybody does is beyond ridiculous. Wipers, AC (including defrost), steering wheel position, mirrors (there are buttons for the seats but the steering column and mirrors were... what?), lights. For some reason, the hazards button is in a ridiculous spot as well, and they did manage to "integrate" it in a sane spot (you know, right below the center touchscreen) with their "design" in the Model S.

Anyways, plenty of non Tesla EVs around here so I'm not too worried. The fact that a lot of other manufacturers are jumping on the touch screen-only glare wagon does have me worried. Honorable mention to the prius 5 for having a notably worse gauge cluster than the slap-on big ultrawide touchscreen style ones, of course.

Pretty much the only things that I really like about the model 3 are the price and the use of LFP batteries. Then again, Tesla's always done the batteries right.
I've driven my Model Y over 3000 miles since May, and I've never once had to take my eyes of the road for anything, including windshield wipers, defrosters, HVAC etc. But I understand what you are saying, not everyone likes everything integrated into the screens, which is why one of my friends opted for the i4, and another the E-Tron. It's good there is choice and there are other EV's on the market
Old 07-27-23, 09:27 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its working, maybe the situation is that what you like and want out of a car is just not what many, many, many people want.
Many ppl don’t care except for badge and brand name.
99% of Teslas are white or black with base wheels. People just get the cheapest and most vanilla trim.

The genius of Tesla is its specifically setup production for almost no customization. This is more of a Toyota playbook than MB/BMW.
Old 07-27-23, 09:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So I was passenger in my coworkers X3 last month (the model with the 3.0L TT V6), and it's really nice. Very comfortable seats, good suspension, road isolation, nice controls and instrument layout etc. Power is also really good (I think it had hybrid assist)... but, just my opinion, it now feels primitive to me. Even my Polestar which is a simple sedan with almost no bells and whistles feels more advanced. Do I think it's a really good SUV? Yes I do, and I would even consider one....if the Model Y didn't exist 😔
Tesla has no gauges in front of you, no heads up display, cheap seats with almost no customization, no interior trim/colors, it doesn’t even have a sunroof shade! The materials are awful.

While the Model Y has decent inputs, dynamically it can’t compete with X3 in terms of suspension setup, brakes, steering, high speed stability. I drove both back to back on backroads as I took the MYP on around 45min drive. It really doesn’t offer anything better than X3.

Quick Reply: Model 3 Highland Revealed