EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model 3 Highland Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 12:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yeah, I think it would be best to avoid adding the complexity of rear steering to the 3 and Y.

People who like change for change's sake love the lack of stalks. People who don't like fixing what isn't broke will hate it. I'm in the latter camp.
Exactly. Unnecessary complexity for very little return.

I prefer the stalks, 100 percent. That being said, I could live with the removal of stalks. But ultimately, I'm in the same camp as you, which includes no rear steering for the Model 3/Y
Old 04-15-24, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my big issue with no stalk is that the steering still stinks. they need to bring the cybertruck steering to all the models so there's less turn, making wheel buttons easier to deal with.
Agreed

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
People who like change for change's sake love the lack of stalks. People who don't like fixing what isn't broke will hate it. I'm in the latter camp.
Exactly...
Old 04-15-24, 03:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As far as rear steering, I really don't think it is necessary for the Model 3 or Model Y as they are not that large, steering is very precise just as is.
i wasn't referring to rws. the cybertruck features steering by wire where the steering WHEEL ratio varies with speed / turn intent. that's a huge win, meaning far less turning of the wheel. the rws just makes that work even better but it's a separate feature.

my lc500 has separate variable steering and rear wheel steering, but of course they're coordinated.
Old 04-15-24, 03:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

i wasn't referring to rws. the cybertruck features steering by wire where the steering WHEEL ratio varies with speed / turn intent. that's a huge win, meaning far less turning of the wheel. the rws just makes that work even better but it's a separate feature.

my lc500 has separate variable steering and rear wheel steering, but of course they're coordinated.
Oh, I see. Well again, I don't think it is really needed for cars like the Model 3 or Y...that said the tech may one day carry over if Tesla decides to move to 48v and the smaller steering wheel on other vehicles
Old 04-15-24, 03:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Steer by wire realistically requires a 48 volt architecture* this will require a complete rework of the Model 3. Maybe this will happen at some point but we're going to see SBW in the mass market car first IMO.

* steering rack motors use a fair bit of current could be done on 12 volts but the associated wring and electronics will be expensive and bulky.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-15-24)
Old 05-14-24, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

good review here...

steering wheel turn signals are beyond stupid.

they could have at least put left turn on left side and right turn on right side then it might be easier to do it without looking.

will be test driving one this weekend.
Old 05-14-24, 07:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

good review here...

https://youtu.be/eFc0BtfsIX8?si=bmjQEuVKbycy5TXi

steering wheel turn signals are beyond stupid.

they could have at least put left turn on left side and right turn on right side then it might be easier to do it without looking.

will be test driving one this weekend.
honestly, you get used to it. There is also a spacer between the two so you feel the two different sides. Did you have to get used to it? Probably not, but oh well.

Check if it is on latest software, if so, turn on auto shift. Works awesome right now. I am actually pretty happy with this right now.

On S, different than new Highland, horn was on a button and that was annoying actually. There is new updated version of steering wheel that has horn back and I should be getting it installed in 2 weeks, yay warranty!
AMIRZA786 (05-14-24)
Old 05-17-24, 12:01 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

Just pulled the trigger on the M3P. July delivery. I need to cut loose 2 cars, got too many. @AMIRZA786 the price just went up another $1,000 so only the Stealth Grey qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit. If it goes up again, the tax credit is probably gone. I will not qualify, so it is moot.
Stealth Grey, FSD, $64,630. About $71,500 all in including reg and the governor's tax. I wanted another white car, but the black door handles, wheels and trim just look wrong to me.
I will really miss our 2018 Mid Range; it's perfect.
The following 5 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
Allen K (05-17-24), AMIRZA786 (05-17-24), bitkahuna (05-17-24), Mike728 (05-17-24), SW17LS (Yesterday)
Old 05-17-24, 12:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Just pulled the trigger on the M3P. July delivery. I need to cut loose 2 cars, got too many. @AMIRZA786 the price just went up another $1,000 so only the Stealth Grey qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit. If it goes up again, the tax credit is probably gone. I will not qualify, so it is moot.
Stealth Grey, FSD, $64,630. About $71,500 all in including reg and the governor's tax. I wanted another white car, but the black door handles, wheels and trim just look wrong to me.
I will really miss our 2018 Mid Range; it's perfect.
Congrats 👏. I know it's going to be the best car you ever owned! Unfortunately I'll have to take that chance, as I can't buy anything until my lease is up in January
Old 05-17-24, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yay jeff, awesome!!

wil test a 'lowly' reg. model 3 on sunday (for someone else, not me).
JeffKeryk (Today)
Old 05-17-24, 12:56 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Congrats 👏. I know it's going to be the best car you ever owned! Unfortunately I'll have to take that chance, as I can't buy anything until my lease is up in January
It may be worth your while to check into an early lease return. I leased our 1st RX450h, got tired of the payments and paid it off. Then Lexus offered early return with a nice credit if you bought another. Sheesh, I missed the boat again!
Old 05-17-24, 01:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
It may be worth your while to check into an early lease return. I leased our 1st RX450h, got tired of the payments and paid it off. Then Lexus offered early return with a nice credit if you bought another. Sheesh, I missed the boat again!
I owe $4,025 on my current lease. Plus I'm about almost 3,000 miles over my allowed miles. I'll just wait it out and place an order in December, the consensus is Tesla won't be raising prices anymore on the M3P
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so i went with someone for a new model 3 test drive today. great experience.

what made the experience truly memorable is that we didn't have to talk to ANYONE. we did a self-assist test drive.
you register for it (model, place and time), and then use the tesla app once there to unlock the car, drive it, and when done, just reconnect to the charger and leave! we did it at a hotel in orlando (spotx nr disney springs). there was a few teslas there, old and new.

there was an 'original' model 3 there too, so it was good to compare the exteriors first. the revisions for the new one are great, smoother front, and sleeker headlights and tail lights.

the interior is an even bigger step up, with nicer materials (carpet in the door pockets!), cloth type material on door cards, etc.

overall interior is great, not a luxury car, but a lot nicer than before and there were zero quality issues that i could find.

seats are super comfortable.

screen and controls would definitely take some getting used to (even though i've driven a tesla for a week before). there's just so many options and panels in the screen interface, it's rather overwhelming.

one think i couldn't figure out is how to just bring up a map... there appeared to be no icon for that. but by swiping other stuff away, it left the map, so maybe that's the only way.

swipe up down (on left side of screen) to go forward/reverse is pretty easy to adjust to.
adjusting mirrors was easy enough.

so this white one is a standard model 3, no dual motor awd, just rwd.

and we were off...

super quiet and smooth (quieter than my ioniq 5 i'd say) and comfortable ride. steering is stiff in standard... easier in comfort.

even with 'just' rwd, the car accelerates with the usual silent brisk linear torque.
it's plenty quick enough for any non-enthusiast driver.

person i went with said turn signals on the wheel wasn't bad, plus the car seemed savvy about auto turning them off.

overall, i thought it's a really great ev 'appliance'. well done tesla.

if it were me buying i'd probably want the long range or performance version.
i'd miss apple carplay and hud though.
The following 7 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
Allen K (Today), AMIRZA786 (Yesterday), DaveGS4 (Today), Hameed (Today), JeffKeryk (Today), Mike728 (Today), spwolf (Today) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

so i went with someone for a new model 3 test drive today. great experience.

what made the experience truly memorable is that we didn't have to talk to ANYONE. we did a self-assist test drive.
you register for it (model, place and time), and then use the tesla app once there to unlock the car, drive it, and when done, just reconnect to the charger and leave! we did it at a hotel in orlando (spotx nr disney springs). there was a few teslas there, old and new.

there was an 'original' model 3 there too, so it was good to compare the exteriors first. the revisions for the new one are great, smoother front, and sleeker headlights and tail lights.

the interior is an even bigger step up, with nicer materials (carpet in the door pockets!), cloth type material on door cards, etc.

overall interior is great, not a luxury car, but a lot nicer than before and there were zero quality issues that i could find.

seats are super comfortable.

screen and controls would definitely take some getting used to (even though i've driven a tesla for a week before). there's just so many options and panels in the screen interface, it's rather overwhelming.

one think i couldn't figure out is how to just bring up a map... there appeared to be no icon for that. but by swiping other stuff away, it left the map, so maybe that's the only way.

swipe up down (on left side of screen) to go forward/reverse is pretty easy to adjust to.
adjusting mirrors was easy enough.

so this white one is a standard model 3, no dual motor awd, just rwd.

and we were off...

super quiet and smooth (quieter than my ioniq 5 i'd say) and comfortable ride. steering is stiff in standard... easier in comfort.

even with 'just' rwd, the car accelerates with the usual silent brisk linear torque.
it's plenty quick enough for any non-enthusiast driver.

person i went with said turn signals on the wheel wasn't bad, plus the car seemed savvy about auto turning them off.

overall, i thought it's a really great ev 'appliance'. well done tesla.

if it were me buying i'd probably want the long range or performance version.
i'd miss apple carplay and hud though.
Good review! The fastest way to get back to the map is too hit the "Car" icon all the way at the bottom left, as this was the car setting screen you were looking at. Once you have the car for a day, you figure these things out quickly. Swiping is another way, which you discovered.

As I heard from multiple reviews, the Performance has the best seats. Can't wait to get my hands on one
bitkahuna (Today)
Old Today, 05:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 245 Likes on 137 Posts

Great review Paul!👍
The following 2 users liked this post by Hameed:
AMIRZA786 (Today), bitkahuna (Today)

Quick Reply: Model 3 Highland Revealed