ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Fender and bumper alignment and annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 06:21 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 885 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
You're very right about this and I've seen this occur with the Kentucky made Camry as opposed to the Japanese made Prius. I've leased 4 different Camry cars and 1 Prius in the last 10 years and I noticed that the quality of the materials on each Camry was not as good as the quality of the materials that were used in the Japan made Prius. The materials on the Prius were more solid and better quality than the ones on the Camry. I'm hoping that the Lexus ES350 has higher standards of quality than the Camry.
The Prius has always been built with more care than the Camry or Corolla. I believe this is not only because the Prius is built in Japan, but because the Prius was Toyota's pride and joy in the early years, a showcase car for the company's technological leadership. Someone said it well some years ago: "It looks to me like the Corolla is built to a price, and the Prius is built to a standard."

As for quality comparisons between the Camry and the ES, I'll just say this: If you inspect both and can't tell the difference, buy the Camry. You'll still get a reliable and durable car, and you'll save over $10,000.
Old 03-02-22, 06:35 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 110 Posts

I like the ES350 much better than the Camry. I got bored with the Camry.
Old 03-09-22, 09:34 AM
smkuhn
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Folks I'm new to this forum. There's a lot of great information here. I am currently looking for a luxury car to replace my 2012 Buick Lacrosse. I am not looking for a "sport luxury sedan" since I already have a sports car. That rules out the German cars, because they do not cater to those of us who just want a nice smooth, quiet-riding car. So, I looked at Lexus, and Genesis. Drove both, and felt the Lexus ride was better, and for less money. So, I ordered a 2022 ES 350 UL. I know from reading your posts I could be waiting for a while.

Then I found this website, and been watching for a few weeks. I have to say I am dismayed by this thread concerning the fit and finish of a car that will cost me just short of $60,000 OTD. I would not expect mis-aligned panels , paint drips, wrinkled leather seats, or door rattles on a Lexus. From my readings, years ago the company would not have tolerated these defects. I went back to the dealership to look at the ES 350 I drove as a demo. Sure enough, it has the same panel misalignment, and paint drip.

My Question...Do you think Lexus management is aware of these quality control issues? And if so, do you think they will ever do anything about it?

Steve
Old 03-09-22, 01:38 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by smkuhn
Hi Folks I'm new to this forum. There's a lot of great information here. I am currently looking for a luxury car to replace my 2012 Buick Lacrosse. I am not looking for a "sport luxury sedan" since I already have a sports car. That rules out the German cars, because they do not cater to those of us who just want a nice smooth, quiet-riding car. So, I looked at Lexus, and Genesis. Drove both, and felt the Lexus ride was better, and for less money. So, I ordered a 2022 ES 350 UL. I know from reading your posts I could be waiting for a while.

Then I found this website, and been watching for a few weeks. I have to say I am dismayed by this thread concerning the fit and finish of a car that will cost me just short of $60,000 OTD. I would not expect mis-aligned panels , paint drips, wrinkled leather seats, or door rattles on a Lexus. From my readings, years ago the company would not have tolerated these defects. I went back to the dealership to look at the ES 350 I drove as a demo. Sure enough, it has the same panel misalignment, and paint drip.

My Question...Do you think Lexus management is aware of these quality control issues? And if so, do you think they will ever do anything about it?

Steve
I can't speak for other owners or for Lexus, only from my own experience and published information. But...

It's good to remember that an Internet forum like this one is not a representative survey. By its nature it attracts the most dedicated owners, those who most notice the details. And of course, there's no reason to post "My leather is perfectly unwrinkled" or "Nope, no rattles here," since that's not news. Statistically, Consumer Reports, which IS a legitimate survey, reports that the Lexus ES ranks better than the average new car in freedom from problems, while the Genesis G80 ranks worse.

Speaking just for myself, I received a 2022 UL built in January. It has the misaligned wheelwell edge on both sides (no drips), but it's so inconsequential I'd have never even noticed it except that a poster specifically asked owners of my paint color to look for it. I consider myself reasonably picky, and IMO, the car built for me is rattle-free, all trim aligns, body seams look terrific, leather is perfect, and the paint is rich and beautifully applied. Only problems I've seen (other than that no-biggie fender edge) are a bit of wavy optical distortion through the far right of the windshield when viewed from the far left, a memory seat that doesn't remember, and exactly one harsh shift from the automatic transmission in my first 500 miles of ownership.

My guess on your question is that Lexus is fully aware of the paint imperfection and is letting it go because they're under the gun to produce more than no cars at all. My opinon on the quality of the resulting cars is this: If you want the most involving sports ride, you don't want any ES. But if you "just want a nice smooth, quiet-riding car" with extraordinary reliability, durability AND build quality as the cherry on top, you still can't do better than the ES for pretty much any price.

Last edited by LexFinally; 03-09-22 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 01:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,706 Posts

The G80 is a nice car but you'd be out of your mind to spend 15 or 20k more on that vs an ES.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (03-11-22)
Old 03-09-22, 01:47 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The G80 is a nice car but you'd be out of your mind to spend 15 or 20k more on that vs an ES.
I could make a case for the fully loaded V6 G80 deserving its higher price. It's faster, handles better, has newer tech toys, and looks more expensive inside and out. But superior build quality wouldn't be part of that case.
Old 03-10-22, 06:01 AM
smkuhn
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I can't speak for other owners or for Lexus, only from my own experience and published information. But...

It's good to remember that an Internet forum like this one is not a representative survey. By its nature it attracts the most dedicated owners, those who most notice the details. And of course, there's no reason to post "My leather is perfectly unwrinkled" or "Nope, no rattles here," since that's not news. Statistically, Consumer Reports, which IS a legitimate survey, reports that the Lexus ES ranks better than the average new car in freedom from problems, while the Genesis G80 ranks worse.

Speaking just for myself, I received a 2022 UL built in January. It has the misaligned wheelwell edge on both sides (no drips), but it's so inconsequential I'd have never even noticed it except that a poster specifically asked owners of my paint color to look for it. I consider myself reasonably picky, and IMO, the car built for me is rattle-free, all trim aligns, body seams look terrific, leather is perfect, and the paint is rich and beautifully applied. Only problems I've seen (other than that no-biggie fender edge) are a bit of wavy optical distortion through the far right of the windshield when viewed from the far left, a memory seat that doesn't remember, and exactly one harsh shift from the automatic transmission in my first 500 miles of ownership.

My guess on your question is that Lexus is fully aware of the paint imperfection and is letting it go because they're under the gun to produce more than no cars at all. My opinon on the quality of the resulting cars is this: If you want the most involving sports ride, you don't want any ES. But if you "just want a nice smooth, quiet-riding car" with extraordinary reliability, durability AND build quality as the cherry on top, you still can't do better than the ES for pretty much any price.
Thanks for your candor LexWannabe. You are correct in that these forums do seem to attract comments that tend to be on the negative side. However, there is much positive, helpful information here, and I am glad I joined the forum. I am going to check out the Cadillac CT5 when my dealer gets one in. I would be interested in comments from anyone who has compared the CT5 with the Lexus ES...
LexFinally (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22, 06:42 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by smkuhn
Thanks for your candor LexWannabe. You are correct in that these forums do seem to attract comments that tend to be on the negative side. However, there is much positive, helpful information here, and I am glad I joined the forum. I am going to check out the Cadillac CT5 when my dealer gets one in. I would be interested in comments from anyone who has compared the CT5 with the Lexus ES...
Because I utterly don't trust GM for reliability and durability, I frankly didn't bother shopping the CT5 last summer. (I did shop Audi A4/A6 and Acura RLX). And indeed, Consumer Reports survey data rates its reliability as worse than average for new cars (2.0T is only version with sufficient data to be rated).

I can tell you what independent reviewers have said about it: Drives well, but the interior ambiance is dragged down by cheap plastic that looks straight out of a Malibu. Even the reserved Edmunds said it "lacks genuine luxury feel and build quality," and that "the ride quality is pretty poor for a luxury car. The CT5 crashes over bumps rather than absorbs them, and uneven roads can make the car rock like a boat."
Old 03-10-22, 08:03 AM
smkuhn
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Because I utterly don't trust GM for reliability and durability, I frankly didn't bother shopping the CT5 last summer. (I did shop Audi A4/A6 and Acura RLX). And indeed, Consumer Reports survey data rates its reliability as worse than average for new cars (2.0T is only version with sufficient data to be rated).

I can tell you what independent reviewers have said about it: Drives well, but the interior ambiance is dragged down by cheap plastic that looks straight out of a Malibu. Even the reserved Edmunds said it "lacks genuine luxury feel and build quality," and that "the ride quality is pretty poor for a luxury car. The CT5 crashes over bumps rather than absorbs them, and uneven roads can make the car rock like a boat."
Thanks again LexWannabe for your insight. I will be interested to see if I have the same feeling after a drive...
LexFinally (03-11-22)
Old 03-10-22, 09:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 510 Posts

Personally, I think people are making too much of this for a car at this price point. If this car was priced in the six figures, I might be able to understand the consternation, but for a 45 - 55k car it just seems like we are making too much of such a minor imperfection. I haven’t seen any photos (or my car) that would cause me a second look. I prefer to look at a car in a macro sense and just don’t get caught up nitpicking it to death or I will never find a car that I like. This car is reliable, comfortable and has generally very good fit and finish. So it isn’t perfect! I’m really OK with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
dklanecky1 (03-11-22), LexFinally (03-13-22), ronkelley (03-15-22)
Old 03-10-22, 10:43 AM
Lead Lap

Received 762 Likes on 512 Posts

Lexus ES at the same price point exported from Japan to countries all over the world have none of these issues.

So it’s not a price point problem. It’s a US parts supplier problem.

Old 03-10-22, 11:13 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Lexus ES at the same price point exported from Japan to countries all over the world have none of these issues. So it’s not a price point problem. It’s a US parts supplier problem.
100% correct! I've seen many YouTube videos of the ES from various countries. The front bumper fender edge is perfect outside N-america.

American quality issue for sure. My previous car was a Tesla, American built too, far worse than Lexus build quality. Thus why I prefer to buy Japanese built vehicles. American quality overall is poor for vehicles at least. Has always been that way.

If I had the choice, I'd await a Japanese built ES, but I have no choice but to accept American built. Oh well at least it's better quality than other US automakers...
Old 03-10-22, 11:27 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Lexus ES at the same price point exported from Japan to countries all over the world have none of these issues.

For there to be a misalignment like this, either the edge of the fender was made too big or the front bumper is molded too small. Which of the two is it?
Old 03-10-22, 11:40 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 658 Posts

The question is why they are doing this since 2018? Where is the QC?
LS500Fan (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22, 01:28 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

My ES is from Japan. It has the same appearance where those panels come together. I don’t see how this can be blamed on country of origin.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
dklanecky1 (03-11-22), lesz (03-10-22)

Quick Reply: Fender and bumper alignment and annoyance