ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 ES350 17K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 08:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

My observation, owning a 2019 Ultra Lux ES 350, is that the optional noise reduction wheels are useless. It's difficult to compare but I can't discern any difference between my 2013 Lux ES 350 wheels and the 2019 UL with the optional NR wheels... IMO it all comes down to tires with correct pressure and maybe the premium window glass (which I also have).
Old 08-02-21, 02:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by geoemrick
So mine (not UL) doesn't have the acoustic side glass? Should I look into having that installed if I don't have it?

Mine not being UL might be the "issue." What else does the UL have that makes it a quieter experience?
I owned 2 Generation 6 ESs. One had the acloustic glass, and the other didn't. I know that there are those here who claim that the acoustic glass makes for less noise, but I couldn't see any difference at all. I'm guessing that having the acoustic glass installed on your car would be very expensive. And doing so would require the removal of door panels to do the installation. Even if the acoustic glass was a bit quieter, there is a reasonable chance that panel removal required to do the installation would end up causing rattles that would be much more annoying than any wind noise could be.

As others have said the biggest difference maker with regard to a quieter cabin is likely the tires and the size of the wheels. On very smooth pavement, I didn't see much difference between the 17" wheels with Michelin tires on my 2013 ES and the 18" wheels with Michelin tires on my 2017, But, on less than smooth pavement, the bigger wheels and lower profile tires on the 2017 produced much more noise than did the smaller wheels and higher profile tires on the 2013.
Old 08-02-21, 03:48 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
P.S. Ultra Luxury also comes with acoustic side glass to reduce wind noise, and the performance dampers that might deliver a slight reduction in booming noise over bumps. But the wind noise in particular is an obviously different issue than OP mentioned.
Although I've also been guilty of using the term "acoustic" in describing the UL's front side windows laminated glass, AGC automotive the source of the UL front window glass does not classify the Laminated Glass Lamisafe product as an acoustic glass. They do have a product, Laminated Acoustic Glass, that they classify as an acoustic glass with better sound dampening properties than their regular laminated glass product. While it isn't the greatest comparison graph, they have this Normal Laminated versus Acoustic Laminated frequency sound loss comparison graph.

While I couldn't find a specific sound dampening comparison between automotive tempered window glass and AGC automotive's normal laminated Lamisafe product, I did find a comparison graph from Saflex (a different glass company) which has similar comparison curves between normal and acoustic laminated glass that also includes a tempered glass curve along with frequency range bars with labels classifying the range associated with different types of automotive noises, e.g., road, wind, etc. The [Saflex] Sound transmission loss at 20℃ graph shows in red the tempered glass, in purple a normal PVB laminated glass, and in green and blue their offerings of acoustic interlayer laminated glasses.

While one can surmise between the two sets of comparison graphs the Laminated Glass Lamisafe product used in the UL does have better wind noise dampening properties than regular tempered glass, a specialty acoustic laminated glass will provide significantly much greater sound dampening in the wind noise frequency range.

P.S.
LexWannabe, there's no particular reason I'm making this acoustic glass comment as a response to your posting. Your posting was just an innocent "drive by" that was convenient to latch onto with the additional "acoustic" glass clarifying info.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 08:44 AM
johnbutler
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High expectations

Originally Posted by TechNut
I suspect your expectations may be a little high. Unfortunately the car periodicals may build some brands up a bit too much. My observation has been much like yours, slightly quieter at highway speeds than other brands I have owned, but certainly not stealthy quiet. These cars have been designed to be very lightweight (for their size) and consequently they aren't like the old 1970's caddy's that were whisper quiet at about any speed and on any road surface. You certainly have the best tire/wheel combo for a smooth quiet ride so I doubt you are going to get much better. The hybrids and Ultra Luxury models supposedly had better sound deadening but I have no idea if that "claim" is accurate as I have only driven base and luxury package hybrids.
my view

the ultra luxury version has special tires and double panel glass to improve sound deadening.

thar said, I do not have that and was also surprised that the sound was loader than I expected when I got an ES. That said, it was still much quieter than my prior cars (all Hondas and acuras). I think it would be hard to find a car that would remain quiet on bad roads or groved pavement.
Old 01-09-23, 07:03 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Luxury and UL have the noise reduction wheels, not the tires.
The anount of sound deadening is the same, but the hybrids have more sound insulation between the engine and the compartment.
Old 01-10-23, 12:09 AM
wrangler
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Luxury and UL have the noise reduction wheels, not the tires.
The anount of sound deadening is the same, but the hybrids have more sound insulation between the engine and the compartment.
The wheels, yes. In addition, I can speak only for my '22 Ultra -- my stock Bridgestone Turanza tires are claimed by the Bridgestone web site to combine "precisely tuned and tested enhancements in the tread to help dampen road noise". Every little bit helps.
Old 01-10-23, 04:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangler
The wheels, yes. In addition, I can speak only for my '22 Ultra -- my stock Bridgestone Turanza tires are claimed by the Bridgestone web site to combine "precisely tuned and tested enhancements in the tread to help dampen road noise". Every little bit helps.
Marketing nonsense. Sort of like tartar control toothpaste.
Old 01-10-23, 06:34 AM
matthewr87
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I lived in Texas for a few years. Those concrete freeways are horrible for noise. And sadly the ES350 is not a Rolls Royce.
Old 01-10-23, 06:37 AM
matthewr87
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangler
Just FYI the OEM Bridgestones are horrible tires. Mine were done at 20k miles even with regular rotations. I also had a mind numbing booming and vibration at highway speeds that I thought was a bad wheel bearing or two. Turns out it was those POS tires. Read the reviews on Tirerack; my experience appears quite common.
Old 01-10-23, 10:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matthewr87
Just FYI the OEM Bridgestones are horrible tires. Mine were done at 20k miles even with regular rotations. I also had a mind numbing booming and vibration at highway speeds that I thought was a bad wheel bearing or two. Turns out it was those POS tires. Read the reviews on Tirerack; my experience appears quite common.
I had similar horrible experience with the FSport Michelin OEM shoes. My Goodyear Maxlife Assurance tires now give me a silky smooth and quiet ride - absolutely love them.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
F3Woody (01-10-23), LeeSoFL (01-11-23)
Old 01-10-23, 09:21 PM
wrangler
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewr87
I've had nothing else on this car to compare them to. And I don't have a lot of experience with modern tires, as I don't drive that much. I plan to do homework at replacement time, which I hope will be a bit down the road.
Old 01-12-23, 06:22 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 308 Posts

I’m interested in maximizing the smooth and quiet ride on my 2021ES 350. Are the Goodyear Maxlife Assurance that much better than those that came with the car? What makes are these Maxlife tires superior? I’ll get them next time rather tha. Replacing stock with stock if they’re superior.
Old 01-12-23, 06:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shaboom
I’m interested in maximizing the smooth and quiet ride on my 2021ES 350. Are the Goodyear Maxlife Assurance that much better than those that came with the car? What makes are these Maxlife tires superior? I’ll get them next time rather tha. Replacing stock with stock if they’re superior.
Night and day. Quiet, treadlife no comparison, zero vibrations, the Michelins were evidently tougher for shops to balance. Love them so much, they're on my wife's RX as well and with 40k on those, looks like they'll last another 30 or so. Her oem Michelin Premiers were toast at 30k.
Old 01-13-23, 04:58 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 274 Posts

Dealership delivered my car at 40psi. Rides on the 18s much better at 35psi and no noticeable impact on MPG.
Old 01-13-23, 05:55 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 308 Posts

I took my 2021 350 ES tires down to 35 psi when it was delivered two years ago. Happy with that every since.

Quick Reply: 2019 ES350 17K miles