ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 (hey, why not?) ES 350 interior color quandary

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 06:05 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 913 Likes on 571 Posts
Default 2022 (hey, why not?) ES 350 interior color quandary

I'm investigating the possibility of ordering a 2022 ES 350 Ultra Luxury. I don't mind waiting, but I historically keep my cars over a decade, so I am very particular about what I want. For me, that means the '22 with its touchscreen infotainment.

I think the ES is a very nice-looking car outside and inside, except I can't get comfortable with the interior color choices. The all-black to me looks boring and funereal. The chateau and woodttone is nice, but they're ditching it for 2022 in favor of something called "Palomino." I'm assuming this will be the same color already offered under the same name in the LS, and in what seem to be accurate photos of actual cars (not the cartoonish computer illustrations on Lexus.com), it looks like a horrid Creamsicle orange better suited to a '59 T-bird.

The problem with this is that Palomino will be the only interior for 2022 available with wood trim that isn't black (it'll have open-pore walnut). All other leather interior schemes will have open-pore black wood. IMO, black wood on a black dash and black doors is as good as no wood at all in an interior that's already monochromatic everywhere but the seats and armrests (except the one 2021 color with milk chocolate everything, which is infinitely worse). I'd love to replace the black wood with the brown wood in some other black-dash color scheme, but I assume this is impossible by any means I can think of. My guess is:

•Lexus won't custom-build the car with a nonstandard wood trim choice, even if you custom-order the car.
•Lexus won't sell the trim pieces to you a la carte, and it's probably impossible to disassemble away the existing wood triim from the doors and especially the dash without damage anyway.
•Even the aftermarket stickyback-tape wood-trim websites don't carry wood for the areas of this car that already have it (I have looked into this a bit).

Why is such a beautifully designed car sentenced to have unbroken acres of black monotone in the one direction you're looking all the time, every day? Through my personal lens, the closest comparo for the new ES Ultra Luxury is a used Genesis G90. (Yes, I know on paper the same-class car is the G80, but the G80's visual vibe is so much less traditional that it doesn't interest me.) The G90 is vastly less reliable and economical, but its dash is a feast for my eyes. I wish I could conjure up a trim combination for the ES that made it even remotely competitive to look at. Any thoughts or suggestions from you Lexus mavens? Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
MikeP (05-26-21)
Old 05-25-21, 06:41 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Saw that LesZ relayed an April release from Lexus that showcased a grayish brown "mauve" 2022 interior color with a black dash and brown wood accents. But the more recent May release indicates it's landed on the cutting room floor.
Old 05-26-21, 04:44 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,099 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I'm investigating the possibility of ordering a 2022 ES 350 Ultra Luxury. I don't mind waiting, but I historically keep my cars over a decade, so I am very particular about what I want. For me, that means the '22 with its touchscreen infotainment.

I think the ES is a very nice-looking car outside and inside, except I can't get comfortable with the interior color choices. The all-black to me looks boring and funereal. The chateau and woodttone is nice, but they're ditching it for 2022 in favor of something called "Palomino." I'm assuming this will be the same color already offered under the same name in the LS, and in what seem to be accurate photos of actual cars (not the cartoonish computer illustrations on Lexus.com), it looks like a horrid Creamsicle orange better suited to a '59 T-bird.

The problem with this is that Palomino will be the only interior for 2022 available with wood trim that isn't black (it'll have open-pore walnut). All other leather interior schemes will have open-pore black wood. IMO, black wood on a black dash and black doors is as good as no wood at all in an interior that's already monochromatic everywhere but the seats and armrests (except the one 2021 color with milk chocolate everything, which is infinitely worse). I'd love to replace the black wood with the brown wood in some other black-dash color scheme, but I assume this is impossible by any means I can think of. My guess is:

•Lexus won't custom-build the car with a nonstandard wood trim choice, even if you custom-order the car.
•Lexus won't sell the trim pieces to you a la carte, and it's probably impossible to disassemble away the existing wood triim from the doors and especially the dash without damage anyway.
•Even the aftermarket stickyback-tape wood-trim websites don't carry wood for the areas of this car that already have it (I have looked into this a bit).

Why is such a beautifully designed car sentenced to have unbroken acres of black monotone in the one direction you're looking all the time, every day? Through my personal lens, the closest comparo for the new ES Ultra Luxury is a used Genesis G90. (Yes, I know on paper the same-class car is the G80, but the G80's visual vibe is so much less traditional that it doesn't interest me.) The G90 is vastly less reliable and economical, but its dash is a feast for my eyes. I wish I could conjure up a trim combination for the ES that made it even remotely competitive to look at. Any thoughts or suggestions from you Lexus mavens? Thanks.
Absolutely agree with you with the black interior. Know it is a personal choice but would never own a dark interior. It is hard to believe Lexus eliminated a light color interior weather parchment or chateau. For me a very tough choice picking an interior color. There is a third choice called acorn and included would be my guess of the color. Better than the other two but still not for me.

TechNut (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 05:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,770 Posts

Go for the G80 in this case. I personally hate wood in cars and pretty much only go for a black interior which ages the best IMO. The G80 has wood trim and a pretty attractive interior overall. Avoid the G90 - lost of issues with that model if you read the forum there.
Old 05-26-21, 06:11 AM
LexFinally
Racer

That's an impressive bottom rendering, Fred. Did you photoshop that yourself?

As for its looks, I think it's pretty decent looking, but it still has the problem both of us talked about: Flat black wood on a flat black background might as well be no wood at all.
Old 05-26-21, 06:16 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Go for the G80 in this case. I personally hate wood in cars and pretty much only go for a black interior which ages the best IMO. The G80 has wood trim and a pretty attractive interior overall. Avoid the G90 - lost of issues with that model if you read the forum there.
Thanks for the information about the G90; that's important to know.

I know the G80 is a critical darling right now, but several things turn me off of it:

•First and foremost, I'm just more of a traditionalist about interior design. Too much swoopy and too much diamond stitching for me.

•The G80 is subject to the ABS short-circuit problem that's setting Hyundais and Kias spontaneously on fire even when they're not running ("don't park it in the garage"). I know it's happened to very few cars statistically, but why would I voluntarily take on that risk?

•The G80 is getting negative comments about a coarse-sounding Four. The Six is an extra-cost option. Also, only the very top trim level avoids fake leather, and the base trim even has fake wood. I'm looking for tranquility and genuine materials this time around.

Just one buyer's opinion, others aren't wrong. But everybody has to choose based on their own priorities, and those are mine.
Old 05-26-21, 06:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 889 Posts

I don't understand why Lexus would offer such a limited selection for the interior. For me, this is a very important part of the overall look of the car. My first Lexus had a piano black plastic console that showed scratches almost immediately. The seats were very nice, being Parchment. A little touchy but with care they lasted and looked good when I sold the car. It also had Birds Eye Maple wood trim that looked beautiful and is now unavailable. On my second Lexus I bought bamboo and flaxen which, IMO, looks great. Now I understand that bamboo is also unavailable along with flaxen. All this I think comes down to $$$. I know that many don't like the bamboo wood trim (Mike) but I do... I wish you luck in getting what you want but I'm not optimistic on the wood trim.
Old 05-26-21, 07:19 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by bc6152
I don't understand why Lexus would offer such a limited selection for the interior. For me, this is a very important part of the overall look of the car. My first Lexus had a piano black plastic console that showed scratches almost immediately. The seats were very nice, being Parchment. A little touchy but with care they lasted and looked good when I sold the car. It also had Birds Eye Maple wood trim that looked beautiful and is now unavailable. On my second Lexus I bought bamboo and flaxen which, IMO, looks great. Now I understand that bamboo is also unavailable along with flaxen. All this I think comes down to $$$. I know that many don't like the bamboo wood trim (Mike) but I do... I wish you luck in getting what you want but I'm not optimistic on the wood trim.
I think the bamboo is very nice. If it matched the upholstery color—say, Rich Cream—I'd accept that combination in a heartbeat. Alas, as you say, apparently we don't get that choice anymore,.
Old 05-26-21, 07:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Same reason I wanted to avoid all black. It would look like another "LuXuRy" car. or another Accord etc.

I like my Chateau but don't love it. If I lease another ES in 2024, I hope there's nicer colors by then. I'd like something modern, say brushed aluminum trim/accents with black (or very dark gray) walnut wood and super light (almost white) seats. just something fresh. Our trim pieces on the interior are supposed to mimic a sword, so why not make them metal or look metallic lol.

I would like some of the LS interior looks, you can get really nice interiors on Mercedes and BMW lower models too... oh well.
Old 05-26-21, 07:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Thanks for the information about the G90; that's important to know.

I know the G80 is a critical darling right now, but several things turn me off of it:

•First and foremost, I'm just more of a traditionalist about interior design. Too much swoopy and too much diamond stitching for me.

•The G80 is subject to the ABS short-circuit problem that's setting Hyundais and Kias spontaneously on fire even when they're not running ("don't park it in the garage"). I know it's happened to very few cars statistically, but why would I voluntarily take on that risk?

•The G80 is getting negative comments about a coarse-sounding Four. The Six is an extra-cost option. Also, only the very top trim level avoids fake leather, and the base trim even has fake wood. I'm looking for tranquility and genuine materials this time around.

Just one buyer's opinion, others aren't wrong. But everybody has to choose based on their own priorities, and those are mine.
I agree with you on the six vs four cyl. As far as the fake leather goes, I actually prefer that. The Nuluxe wears much better than the real stuff.
Old 05-26-21, 08:27 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
Same reason I wanted to avoid all black. It would look like another "LuXuRy" car. or another Accord etc.

I like my Chateau but don't love it. If I lease another ES in 2024, I hope there's nicer colors by then. I'd like something modern, say brushed aluminum trim/accents with black (or very dark gray) walnut wood and super light (almost white) seats. just something fresh. Our trim pieces on the interior are supposed to mimic a sword, so why not make them metal or look metallic lol.

I would like some of the LS interior looks, you can get really nice interiors on Mercedes and BMW lower models too... oh well.
Audi, too. I was looking seriously at the Audi A4 until I sat in one and realized I wanted more room and more cush. Their beige/black interior color combo was much nicer, especially prior to 2021 when they went from walnut to black flat-finish open-pore wood (which makes me suspect Lexus is playing follow-the-leader with this wood trim—more's the pity).

Old 05-26-21, 08:28 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
As far as the fake leather goes, I actually prefer that. The Nuluxe wears much better than the real stuff.
If wear and cost were my only considerations, I'd agree with you 100%.
MikeP (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 09:44 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Am I being too quick to assume that removing and replacing the wood trim itself is not a feasible option? As a practical matter, can that be done without, say, ripping apart the dashboard?
Old 05-26-21, 10:51 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 889 Posts

Why spend thousands of dollars on a new car and then take apart the dash? Not a great idea IMO... If you're dead set against ALL of the interior combos that Lexus is offering, and it's a very important issue for you, then I think it's time to look at another brand...
dklanecky1 (05-27-21)
Old 05-26-21, 11:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Why spend thousands of dollars on a new car and then take apart the dash? Not a great idea IMO... If you're dead set against ALL of the interior combos that Lexus is offering, and it's a very important issue for you, then I think it's time to look at another brand...
Maybe order some of those stickers on eBay once discussed in a thread on here

Quick Reply: 2022 (hey, why not?) ES 350 interior color quandary