ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 09:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts
Default 2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

More than a few people have posted about the 2020 model having a dead battery after a few weeks of sitting. The thought is that this model has some sort of issue that's drawing the battery down. Not an issue with previous years. Please post if you've experienced this and if your dealer found a fix and what that fix is.
Old 06-20-20, 11:02 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

My dealer said it was a bad cell. For the past 3 months the replacement battery for my '20 ES has been flawless.

I'm wondering if the Kentucky assembly plant received a lot of bad batteries?
The following users liked this post:
swfla (06-20-20)
Old 06-20-20, 06:25 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

It was maybe 4 months of use for mine but it shouldn't have died in the first place. They claim nothing is wrong with the battery.
Old 06-21-20, 08:04 AM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My battery died after sitting for a little over a week when the car was 2 months old. Dealer couldn't find any problem and said the battery tested okay. I haven't had a problem since but the car has not sat unused for more then 5 days. I am also turning off every electrical option when leaving the car sit for several days - like the auto headlights, radio and a/c. I'm a little paranoid about getting stranded.
Old 06-21-20, 10:30 AM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm only using the car once a week now and haven't had any problems. I have the 2019 ES350. Did they change battery suppliers in 2020?
Old 06-21-20, 11:04 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterA
I'm only using the car once a week now and haven't had any problems. I have the 2019 ES350. Did they change battery suppliers in 2020?

Good question! My service advisor did tell me they used to use Japanese batteries on these cars but recently changed to American made batteries and he thinks they aren't as good. I've learned service advisors aren't always right though. I did just order an Audew Car Jump Starter to be on the safe side even though I have the 4 year warranty with roadside assistance. I don't want to be caught in a bad situation and be stranded. Its only like $70 and I'll keep it in my trunk. It gives me a little piece of mind. It would be interesting to compare the brand/model of batteries used on both the 2019/2020 cars. I'll look at mine to see if I can get any information on it.
swfla (06-21-20)
Old 06-22-20, 10:09 AM
5thton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine died the weekend before last sitting only from Friday night through Monday morning. I haven't been to the dealership yet because I have been out of town, but they didnt alert to any known issues but rather blamed the connect services being out of range of good signal. To be fair, they havent put hands on it to diagnose, but I am not satisfied with that answer: no new car should be inherently capable of creating a dead battery in 48 hours time.

I'll update once I get the car in. The more disturbing fact has been that many of the systems appear to have not come online properly after the battery went dead. I lost a ton of custom settings (such as HUD, driver assist, my bluetooth and audio settings) and some things like my backup camera havent come back online properly. I have a long road of ownership ahead vs a short window of lemon law left and my fingers are crossed that this car isnt going to turn out to be an electronics nightmare.
swfla (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 12:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I've read that a few others say they lost settings in a similar manner. Your followup will help us learn if it's a battery issue, car issue or other. It's my understanding that Lexus is or has phased out the Panasonic battery. It was used for many years by Lexus and has a reputation for long life.
Old 06-22-20, 10:49 PM
packman12
Rookie

Originally Posted by packman12
My battery died after sitting for a little over a week when the car was 2 months old. Dealer couldn't find any problem and said the battery tested okay. I haven't had a problem since but the car has not sat unused for more then 5 days. I am also turning off every electrical option when leaving the car sit for several days - like the auto headlights, radio and a/c. I'm a little paranoid about getting stranded.
I forgot to add that my car is a 2020 ES (non hybrid). Also on the advice of a service advisor I have been storing both my key fobs farther from the car - previously they were 10 to 15 feet separated by the garage wall, now they are more than 30 feet away from the car. I can't believe that was the problem, but I'm trying anything that may help. Once we can travel again, I park for long periods at the airport and dread to think about coming back to a dead battery in a parking lot. Never had this kind of issue with any other car.
Old 06-23-20, 01:20 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Memory serves, the dealership replaced my OEM battery with a higher-amperage Lexus "robust" battery.
Old 06-23-20, 02:47 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Wow !!

Wasn't even going to bring thus up because I chalked it up to the car sitting on the overflow lot too long.

The very morning after purchase my wife went out to leave and the battery was TOTALLY shot. The second I hooked my Jump Box to terminals it lit up the lights and fired right up! They replaced the battery that 2nd day of ownership but it was still an inconvenience we didn't expect!

Semper Fi..
Old 06-23-20, 06:30 PM
ibbyslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died after 2 days of sitting

Originally Posted by swfla
More than a few people have posted about the 2020 model having a dead battery after a few weeks of sitting. The thought is that this model has some sort of issue that's drawing the battery down. Not an issue with previous years. Please post if you've experienced this and if your dealer found a fix and what that fix is.
Just went to use my 2020 es350 and the battery was dead. I jumped it and now my parking assist is completely not working. Did anyone experience this?
Old 06-23-20, 08:27 PM
packman12
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibbyslexus
Just went to use my 2020 es350 and the battery was dead. I jumped it and now my parking assist is completely not working. Did anyone experience this?
I had the same problem with the parking assist warning lights on after my car was jump started. While driving the car to the dealer to assess the problems (about 30 minutes away), the light went out and has not come back on. Perhaps the car just needed some time to reboot as my battery was completely dead.
Old 06-23-20, 08:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

About 10 cars in three days. It seems common enough for some electronics/computers not working right away after power is restored. Seems, so far, that after a few hours of the engine running, electronics work fine again. Too soon to say for sure but my money is on a bad batch of batteries sold to the factory. Replacement batteries are likely from another source or we'd being seeing people write about the replacement going bad too. That also rules out the car killing the battery. Hope folks keep posting. This is the kind of thing that members can learn and benefit from.
Old 06-23-20, 09:02 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Memory serves, the dealership replaced my OEM battery with a higher-amperage Lexus "robust" battery.
Can you tell us what this higher amp "robust" Lexus battery is exactly. It would help many people with this problem.

Quick Reply: 2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue