ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Should I Wait for the 2020 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 02:36 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 308 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Should I Wait for the 2020 ES?

I'm shopping for a 2019 ES with Nav, ML, etc. Should I wait for the 2020 ES? What new features might it have?

Specifically, I'm guessing that the 2020 might have Android Auto. Would Android Auto be something worth waiting for? Based on my Google searches, Alexa can do a lot of things including entering navigation destination data while driving. Would Android Auto add enough to make it worth the wait?
Old 07-13-19, 03:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I'm shopping for a 2019 ES with Nav, ML, etc. Should I wait for the 2020 ES? What new features might it have?

Specifically, I'm guessing that the 2020 might have Android Auto. Would Android Auto be something worth waiting for? Based on my Google searches, Alexa can do a lot of things including entering navigation destination data while driving. Would Android Auto add enough to make it worth the wait?
Thats a question only you can answer. Deals on the 19s will get pretty attractive as the 20s roll into the showrooms.
Old 07-13-19, 03:29 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I don't see many changes occurring for 2020. Android auto may be one of them but really not important to me and neither is Alexa... Certainly not worth waiting for in my opinion.
Probably minor to no body changes, maybe wheels, interior colors, etc. Lexus might correct some of the features that members on here complain about such as the Mark Levinson audio... One thing that will most definitely change is the price going north... Mike is right; wait until September/October and you'll probably save some money.
Old 07-14-19, 05:28 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Thats a question only you can answer. Deals on the 19s will get pretty attractive as the 20s roll into the showrooms.
I'm not in a hurry. I can wait until next summer. I'm content with my 2004 ES. I keep cars a long time and want to be sure I get the right one.

My question primarily relates to the potential for Android Auto. Specifically:

1) What functionality will Android Auto add to the ES that it doesn't already have now, and
2) If Lexus implements Android Auto for the 2020 ES, will the 2019 ES be upgradable to add Android Auto?
Old 07-14-19, 06:16 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

From articles I've been reading about upcoming changes to all Lexus cars, it seems that the RX will be a definite Android recipient as well as the LX and the Avalon. I just read this yesterday. As far as the ES it's anyone's guess as the corporate line is still "sometime in the near future"... Why Lexus would delay installing AA in their highest sales vehicle boggles the mind... As far as functionality, if that feature is very important to you then wait. Lexus is not big on retrofitting their cars for new features so don't count on a 2019 getting AA. I use an Android phone but only to make and take calls in the car. Nothing else... Another footnote in the article was that fully 80% of Lexus owners use Apple phones vs. Android and the cars already have Apple Car Play. So Android users lose out...
Old 07-14-19, 09:00 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
From articles I've been reading about upcoming changes to all Lexus cars, it seems that the RX will be a definite Android recipient as well as the LX and the Avalon. I just read this yesterday. As far as the ES it's anyone's guess as the corporate line is still "sometime in the near future"...
Thanks. That's pretty much what I've been reading,too, but new information comes out frequently. Particularly with the new models arriving in a few months.

Why Lexus would delay installing AA in their highest sales vehicle boggles the mind... As far as functionality, if that feature is very important to you then wait.
I don't know if it's important to me or not. I'm trying to figure out what functionality Android Auto would add in order to decide whether or not it's something useful to me. I've tried Googling and watching YouTube videos, but I don't know enough about what the 2019 Lexus ES is capable of without Android Auto to be able to figure out what Android Auto would add. I'm hoping that there's someone who knows both the functionality of the 2019 Lexus ES and of Android Auto to identify the difference(s).
Old 07-14-19, 11:14 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Agree with the sentiments expressed with others here. As an iPhone user, I have explored Apple CarPlay and I feel a bit underwhelmed. I think it will especially benefit those that use Waze and wish to display it on the dash. Basically, it looks to me like it merely displays the phone screen on the dash, so any app such as nav or music will come off the phone. The downside is that it requires a cable. I don’t drive many miles on a daily basis any more (>12 miles), but I don’t see me using it much except for road trips - but just for music/audible.

My point is simply that I would expect Android Auto to perform much like CarPlay. I would think it will mostly just mirror your screen and play the audio from your device. I am only two weeks in on our new car and still have much to learn. Perhaps others more experienced with CarPlay can offer more insight or correct me if I’m misunderstanding this new feature.
Old 07-14-19, 12:09 PM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any info on whether the standard radio/rear speaker issue will be corrected for 2020?
Old 07-14-19, 01:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. That's pretty much what I've been reading,too, but new information comes out frequently. Particularly with the new models arriving in a few months.

I don't know if it's important to me or not. I'm trying to figure out what functionality Android Auto would add in order to decide whether or not it's something useful to me. I've tried Googling and watching YouTube videos, but I don't know enough about what the 2019 Lexus ES is capable of without Android Auto to be able to figure out what Android Auto would add. I'm hoping that there's someone who knows both the functionality of the 2019 Lexus ES and of Android Auto to identify the difference(s).
AA will allow you to project your Android phone on the info display same as Carplay allows an iPhone to do the same. End of story.
Old 07-14-19, 02:03 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by energy88
Any info on whether the standard radio/rear speaker issue will be corrected for 2020?
Here's hoping... Got my fingers crossed...
Old 07-14-19, 02:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

AA will allow you to project your Android phone on the info display same as Carplay allows an iPhone to do the same. End of story.
Is it correct that your phone Apple or Android must be connected with a cable? I thought everything was BT by now...
Old 07-14-19, 05:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Is it correct that your phone Apple or Android must be connected with a cable? I thought everything was BT by now...
Correct cable only. A few mfrs have moved to wireless including BMW.
Old 07-14-19, 07:48 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Thanks. If that's all there is, then it doesn't seem like a good reason to wait for the 2020.
Old 07-14-19, 09:48 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks. If that's all there is, then it doesn't seem like a good reason to wait for the 2020.
It wouldn’t be for me but it obviously depends on your needs. Carplay and the Alexa integration both feel a bit underwhelming to me - but then I didn’t really know quite what to expect of either. I’m not pleased with the cable requirement. I purchased a 6” cable off Amazon and just leave it plugged into one of the USB jacks. There were some complaints here about not being able to close the cover/door with a USB cable inserted, but that same door exposes the passenger side cup holder so we don’t ever close the door anyway.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (07-15-19)
Old 07-15-19, 06:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Seems like a big deal really about very little... I would never use it and hardly ever use Alexa - most times it doesn't work anyway... "not connected".

Quick Reply: Should I Wait for the 2020 ES?