Incorrect songs order on USB

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 05:50 AM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrect songs order on USB

Hi,

I've loaded a huge USB drive with thousands of songs (below the max stated in the manual though). When I browse Artists and choose an album, the songs are in the wrong order, constantly. I know that the system processes the tags, not the filenames. I've looked at the track number field and it shows something like "3/11" for the 3rd track etc. Could that be the culprit?

I'm using a Sundisk Ultrafit USB 3.1, 256GB formatted Fat32.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-19, 06:39 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar problem loading 2000+ tracks on my flash drive. The ML system could process only 500 tracks, and not necessarily in the anticipated order on the flash drive. My solution was to download the flash drive to my iTunes. Then I divided the flash drive into several labeled folders, the same genres as iTunes. I reloaded the flash drive genre by genre while limiting each folder to less than 500 tracts.

The ML system now processes the full library. The browser reads all genres and folders. This is a very nice access to my library of non-compressed CDs.
Old 06-21-19, 07:07 AM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfz219
I had a similar problem loading 2000+ tracks on my flash drive. The ML system could process only 500 tracks, and not necessarily in the anticipated order on the flash drive. My solution was to download the flash drive to my iTunes. Then I divided the flash drive into several labeled folders, the same genres as iTunes. I reloaded the flash drive genre by genre while limiting each folder to less than 500 tracts.

The ML system now processes the full library. The browser reads all genres and folders. This is a very nice access to my library of non-compressed CDs.
Thanks for your reply...so you have multiple folders on the root directory? I have a similar structure: artist folder/album folder, so most folders have two levels at most and 10-20 songs in general. My previous car was a Corolla 2016 S+Tech package and was able to handle this without issues. One would hope that a car twice as expensive could do the same...

Also, I recall that when adding a large USB drive, the car needed 10-15 minutes to process the list for first time (after that it was up and running within a minute).
Old 06-21-19, 08:39 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by yronnen
Hi,

I've loaded a huge USB drive with thousands of songs (below the max stated in the manual though). When I browse Artists and choose an album, the songs are in the wrong order, constantly. I know that the system processes the tags, not the filenames. I've looked at the track number field and it shows something like "3/11" for the 3rd track etc. Could that be the culprit?

I'm using a Sundisk Ultrafit USB 3.1, 256GB formatted Fat32.

Thanks.
Does it put them in alphabetical order?

When my file names have numbers in front, it doesn't follow the logical order. It'll play track 1 then 11, 2 then 22, etc. If I remember correctly, I think putting zeroes in front of the single digits helped.
Old 06-21-19, 08:50 AM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
Does it put them in alphabetical order?

When my file names have numbers in front, it doesn't follow the logical order. It'll play track 1 then 11, 2 then 22, etc. If I remember correctly, I think putting zeroes in front of the single digits helped.
That’s exactly what I did, on my way to check it in my lovely new ES...btw, off topic, my wife sat in it for the first time and she was like, whatever, it’s your toy...
Old 06-21-19, 11:27 AM
95bat
Racer

That’s exactly what I did, on my way to check it in my lovely new ES...btw, off topic, my wife sat in it for the first time and she was like, whatever, it’s your toy...
I got the same reaction when I bought the Corvette LOL
Old 06-21-19, 11:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I got the same reaction when I bought the Corvette LOL
They just don't get it...
Old 06-22-19, 11:16 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Dividing the flash drive into multiple folders of less than 500 files enables the ML system to access the entire library. Will list the entire library in alphabetical order by song, artist, album, folder, genre, etc. Track play continues in alphabetical order of the browser function used. The two shuffle options are random play within a single CD or random play throughout all CDs.
Old 06-22-19, 01:13 PM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Dividing the flash drive into multiple folders of less than 500 files enables the ML system to access the entire library. Will list the entire library in alphabetical order by song, artist, album, folder, genre, etc. Track play continues in alphabetical order of the browser function used. The two shuffle options are random play within a single CD or random play throughout all CDs.
Yes, I read that in the manual as well, and my USB drive is setup correctly, but still it’s all mixed up. I suspect that the size of the drive might be the culprit (256GB). I’ll try using a smaller capacity drive and post the results here.
Old 06-23-19, 04:07 PM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so when the system processes the album it orders the songs based on their title on an alphabetical order, instead of ordering them based on track number in the tag. Pretty dumb, and a little inexcusable for this type of car. Hopefully the software team follows this forum.

Like mentioned here before, it is possible to browse by folder and then it plays by file name, so a song number with zero ahead will work. Other option is to retag the files so the song number will prefix the title (many free tools can do this), but it’s annoying.
Old 06-23-19, 04:26 PM
95bat
Racer

Ok, so when the system processes the album it orders the songs based on their title on an alphabetical order, instead of ordering them based on track number in the tag. Pretty dumb, and a little inexcusable for this type of car. Hopefully the software team follows this forum.

Like mentioned here before, it is possible to browse by folder and then it plays by file name, so a song number with zero ahead will work. Other option is to retag the files so the song number will prefix the title (many free tools can do this), but it’s annoying.
So browsing by folder with numbered tracks works, but browsing by album doesn't?
Old 06-23-19, 04:38 PM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

So browsing by folder with numbered tracks works, but browsing by album doesn't?
Yes. Browsing folder uses file name order, so numeric order (01,02,03 etc.) works, but browsing the album uses the song name from the tags.
Old 06-26-19, 04:26 AM
yronnen
Driver School Candidate

Ok, now everything works after updating the title names by adding a prefix with a zero padded number (e.g. changed the title "Freak on a leash" to "02.Freak on a leash"). I've used Tag&Rename to do that. Now I can browse artists, choose the albums, and the songs play the right way.

I did the same with FLAC files as well, of course.