ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ML audio system revision

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 08:27 PM
Drivelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downloaded Tidal, does sound pretty nice, shows off the ML system I also listen to Chill on XM Sirius, sounds really nice too.
Old 07-11-19, 05:46 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I still contend that the main issue with the system is what you're listening to. Compressed streaming audio, MP3s and satellite radio aren't very good quality, and my experience having the same car without ML and then with ML is that these lower quality sources actually sound WORSE with the ML. Its like watching an old SD TV show on a 4K HDR OLED TV.

Try downloading TIDAL on a trial, make sure you have the HiFi subscription and have the settings on the APP set to MASTER. Then plug your phone in via USB and see how THAT sounds. TIDAL is the only streaming service I believe that streams music at bitrates higher than 320 KBPS. The difference in my LS with ML is substantial, and I went from being disappointed in the system to really loving it now. $20 month which isn't cheap but I cancelled XM because I cant stand listening to it now. Spotify, etc are better but not nearly the same as TIDAL. One warning, it uses a LOT of phone data.

Here's a worthwhile article:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/tidal-...y-tidalforall/
Steve: I've been using Tidal since it launched in the US in late 2014. I download (via wi-fi) whatever music I want to hear on to the phone in Master quality and that way it doesn't use data.
Old 07-11-19, 06:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,243 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Steve: I've been using Tidal since it launched in the US in late 2014. I download (via wi-fi) whatever music I want to hear on to the phone in Master quality and that way it doesn't use data.
I don't see why one who spends a significant amount of money for a premium sound system, then must subscribe to a monthly charge to hear a premium sound system. Ridiculous IMO. Then there is the whole thing with the phone transfer, downloading, data usage, and on and on. I sincerely regret buying the ML system in my UL 2019 ES and apparently many others do too... I said it before:
The sound in my 21 year old Chevrolet sounds better than this one...
The following users liked this post:
horsey (08-08-19)
Old 07-11-19, 10:35 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,240 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I don't see why one who spends a significant amount of money for a premium sound system, then must subscribe to a monthly charge to hear a premium sound system. Ridiculous IMO. Then there is the whole thing with the phone transfer, downloading, data usage, and on and on. I sincerely regret buying the ML system in my UL 2019 ES and apparently many others do too... I said it before:
The sound in my 21 year old Chevrolet sounds better than this one...
A great system will make quality music sound incredible, but it can also make poor quality music sound even worse. People sometimes complain about the same thing in the home theater world. They buy fancy speakers then complain the music sounds bad and it's because their new fancy speakers perfectly play all of the imperfections. Once they find a good quality source of music they are happy.

I daily drove my C7 for 3 years and had the upgraded Bose system, which was regarded by most as the best stereo in any generation Corvette. I got to know the limitation of that stereo system very well. The ML system is leaps and bounds beyond the Bose system in the C7. Chevrolet's biggest investment in the Corvette is and always has been in the drivetrain and chassis. Not the stereo.

But trying to follow some logic here... if you don't want to play premium music why would you buy a premium sound system?

Would you supercharge your Corvette and put 87 octane gas in it? Then complain when it loses power and/or blows up?

Would you buy a top of the line 4K TV then hook up your old VCR to watch some good 'ol VHS tapes? Then complain the tapes look bad and be upset you have to buy 4K material for your 4K TV?
The following 3 users liked this post by 95bat:
dklanecky1 (07-26-19), kalel2127 (07-11-19), Ltvscout (07-12-19)
Old 07-11-19, 10:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 618 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
A great system will make quality music sound incredible, but it can also make poor quality music sound even worse. ...
This is very true. It's the reason I canceled my SiriusXM subscription for my ES.

At least you guys, it seems, have the capability to play FLAC files. Even if they get downgraded to 44khz.
Old 07-11-19, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
You're the one who inspired me to try it!

I upgraded to an unlimited data plan so its no issue. I use about 35 gb a month.
Old 07-11-19, 08:25 PM
Drivelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, how do I access/use FLAC files? I have Tidal, does it support FLAC?
Old 07-12-19, 05:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Tidal supports FLAC.
Old 07-12-19, 06:00 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

You're the one who inspired me to try it!

I upgraded to an unlimited data plan so its no issue. I use about 35 gb a month.
LOL, I forgot about our previous exchange.

I also use a Blusound Node 2 connected to my home stereo and that's really good as well.
Old 07-12-19, 06:03 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drivelex
Hey guys, how do I access/use FLAC files? I have Tidal, does it support FLAC?
It supports FLAC on Android and ALAC (Apple Lossless) on IOS. However the Tidal app on your phone cannot access FLAC or ALAC files that you load on your phone. You will need some other app. for that.
Old 07-12-19, 10:45 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't get all the flac the ml system gets, is it the ES consumer demographic, not knowing what quality audio is or have quality music to listen to take advantage of the b system?

I listened to SACD rips of Elvis, Andrea Bocelli, and Boston with the ml system via aux and wasn't underwhelmed

I was more impressed with the Acura Krell system, Bowers & wilkins in Volvo, and Lincoln's Revel system over ML IMO.

Last edited by Hifiman1; 07-12-19 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 10:50 AM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Tidal

I still contend that the main issue with the system is what you're listening to. Compressed streaming audio, MP3s and satellite radio aren't very good quality, and my experience having the same car without ML and then with ML is that these lower quality sources actually sound WORSE with the ML. Its like watching an old SD TV show on a 4K HDR OLED TV.

Try downloading TIDAL on a trial, make sure you have the HiFi subscription and have the settings on the APP set to MASTER. Then plug your phone in via USB and see how THAT sounds. TIDAL is the only streaming service I believe that streams music at bitrates higher than 320 KBPS. The difference in my LS with ML is substantial, and I went from being disappointed in the system to really loving it now. $20 month which isn't cheap but I cancelled XM because I cant stand listening to it now. Spotify, etc are better but not nearly the same as TIDAL. One warning, it uses a LOT of phone data.

Here's a worthwhile article:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/tidal-...y-tidalforall/
I took out the trial subscription to Tidal; 30 days for the HIFi trial. And I must say that the ML system on my RX never sounded this good before. This lossless sound is superior to any other source. Now I'm hooked!
Old 07-19-19, 11:57 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
I took out the trial subscription to Tidal; 30 days for the HIFi trial. And I must say that the ML system on my RX never sounded this good before. This lossless sound is superior to any other source. Now I'm hooked!
I had to spend some time recalibrating my aftermarket sound system because the HIFI and Master tracks have a lot more bass. It's really amazing how much of a noticeable difference there is.
Old 07-22-19, 09:14 AM
DiamondES
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree , the Mark Levinson package is a bit of a disappointment. Even with the bass all the way low it is still way too loud for me. I usually stream from Youtube but i might look into creating a few CDs to see how the system plays directly from the disc.

Is it possible to swap the amplifier with another one ?
Old 07-22-19, 10:25 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,240 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondES
I agree , the Mark Levinson package is a bit of a disappointment. Even with the bass all the way low it is still way too loud for me. I usually stream from Youtube but i might look into creating a few CDs to see how the system plays directly from the disc.

Is it possible to swap the amplifier with another one ?
It's possible to swap the amp, but at a cost, of course.

Please read through all of this thread as well as the several other threads on the topic. Streaming music is about the worst audio quality you can get. Definitely try a CD or usb drive with high quality audio files.

Quick Reply: ML audio system revision