ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dashcam suggestions, please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 01:50 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
Also ordered mine on the same date with expedited shipping. Unfortunately my camera was held up by a random customs check and further delayed by their Spring Festival holiday. At least this is according to them company. Amazon offered to refund my money and the manufacturer refunded my shipping costs since it was delayed. I decided to wait it out and I'm hoping to have mine in the next few days. My car has been in the detail shop for over 2 weeks and I'll have it back on the 14th. Can't wait to install this. Let us know how the install goes.
i got mine directly from the manufacturers webstore, skipped the middleman and saved on 1/2 of the price including shipping to Canada
Old 02-05-20, 09:49 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by clqw
i got mine directly from the manufacturers webstore, skipped the middleman and saved on 1/2 of the price including shipping to Canada
I saw a couple people were doing that BUT I wanted the protection of buying through Amazon for easy returns and no hassles if something went wrong. It wasn't a huge deal for me since this wasn't a very expensive camera. If this was a $500 camera and I could get it for 1/2 price that would have been a different story possibly. With all this being said I still haven't received my camera. I'll give it a few more days then ask for a refund and try again.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-07-20)
Old 02-08-20, 03:52 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

So i just installed the fitcam and everything went fine. Snapping off the original cover took 30 seconds, but like everyone else stated, it took a lot longer and a lot more sweat to snap everything back in as the wires are very crowded.

Recordings and pic quality all seem decent - the only thing thats very irritating is the blue flashing light when it's recording - it's extremely bright at night, and can be distracting at times.
Old 02-08-20, 04:14 PM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clqw
So i just installed the fitcam and everything went fine. Snapping off the original cover took 30 seconds, but like everyone else stated, it took a lot longer and a lot more sweat to snap everything back in as the wires are very crowded.

Recordings and pic quality all seem decent - the only thing thats very irritating is the blue flashing light when it's recording - it's extremely bright at night, and can be distracting at times.
I added a black vinyl sticker on it. I will take a picture later.
Old 02-12-20, 05:51 AM
TDMR
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Nextbase front and rear cameras and they are fantastic. Hardwire install takes about 30 minutes and they both work seamlessly. Both were purchased at BestBuy for around $350.

TR
Old 02-12-20, 08:35 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

FINALLY received my Fitcam today after it was held up by customs and the Chinese holiday. I'm picking my car up Friday from the detail shop so I'll do the install this weekend. I know some of you have upgraded the microSD memory card. Does anyone know what the maximum size capacity card this camera will accept? I would like to get something larger than the stock 32 Gb one. Also is there a video or better installation instructions someplace? These instructions are very small and not very good.
Old 02-12-20, 09:05 PM
burnik
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
FINALLY received my Fitcam today after it was held up by customs and the Chinese holiday. I'm picking my car up Friday from the detail shop so I'll do the install this weekend. I know some of you have upgraded the microSD memory card. Does anyone know what the maximum size capacity card this camera will accept? I would like to get something larger than the stock 32 Gb one. Also is there a video or better installation instructions someplace? These instructions are very small and not very good.
Max size is 32. There’s not a lot of installation videos out there but it quite easy. If you get stuck you can pm if you want.
Old 02-16-20, 09:14 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Trying to install my Fitcam today. The included instructions are absolutely terrible and don't address so many things especially for the actual installation.
Old 02-16-20, 09:23 AM
TDMR
Driver

All installs are pretty much the same. Connect your fuse splitter to Fuse 26, Ground it and run your wires.
If you have any questions, happy to help. Message me.
Old 02-16-20, 09:58 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TDMR
All installs are pretty much the same. Connect your fuse splitter to Fuse 26, Ground it and run your wires.
If you have any questions, happy to help. Message me.
I'm getting power through the mirror not the fuse box so this doesn't apply. I don't understand why it came with two cables. They look exactly alike. The manual also doesn't address what the two buttons are on the camera. I assume one is power and one is possibly a setup button. I knew the instructions on this would be poor but this is pretty bad. Thanks for your offer for the help. I'm excited to get this installed.
The following users liked this post:
TDMR (02-16-20)
Old 02-16-20, 01:00 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Just finished up my Fitcam install. It was easier than I though after I had a chance to look at everything and it actually went pretty quick. I still need to adjust the settings. I was given two cables but I only needed one for the camera power install.The image looks very grainy and hazy but overall its acceptable. When I copied the first video clip to my computer it said I needed a HEVC Video extension to view the video and it was available at the Microsoft store for .99 cents. I was able to get it for free with the URL below. Read the article and it will give you a link to download it. I have also included the video link from the manufacturer that shows a very brief clip on a few things. Like others have said, the hardest part was reinstalling the cover and managing the cables and wires. I'll report back when I've used this more and have more experience with it.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-view-h...ree-1827094768

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kK0...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by carsareus; 02-16-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 11:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,229 Likes on 969 Posts

Grainy and hazy? Can you read a license plate or identify a face? How about when you zoom in on the image file when viewing? If the answer is no, this will be of no help with legal matters, especially if the insurance company wants proof.
Old 02-17-20, 11:19 AM
TDMR
Driver

Just installed my Nextbase front camera. The rear camera will come after my tint is completed later today. Total hardwire install time was 20 minutes.

Old 02-17-20, 12:28 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Grainy and hazy? Can you read a license plate or identify a face? How about when you zoom in on the image file when viewing? If the answer is no, this will be of no help with legal matters, especially if the insurance company wants proof.

I can read a plate. I'm comparing this to a higher definition camera in my other car so it might not be a fair comparison.
Old 07-03-20, 04:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dr-remote

The new dual remote lens are finally released if anyone interested.
Only the lens and sensor is attached to the front and rear windscreens.
The computer box with buttons, LCD screen, processor and memory card can be separately located on the dashboard, in the glovebox, under the front seats, or even in the trunk - to avoid solar damage from parking in the sun.

Quick Reply: Dashcam suggestions, please.