ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Blind spot monitor malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 09:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Petes2019
I’ve been experimenting with my passenger side sensor and this seemed to help- Go to your adjustment screen for the BSM and change the distance at which the sensor “sees” an oncoming car to the SHORTEST distance ( 1 triangle). Then adjust the mirror view out away from the side of the car so what you’re seeing is only the oncoming cars and none of the side sill of the rear window. I believe that the sensor is on the mirror housing itself and not the mirror but by changing the mirror position.. strangely, mine seems to operate properly now and will light when an upcoming car approaches AND will go out immediately after they overtake me. Try this and see if it helps. Just a thought.
The sensor for BSM systems are usually mounted on the rear quarter panels of a car. Maybe changing the sensitivity caused the system to cycle through/reset. The mirror position shouldn’t make a difference either...if you fold your mirror, you’ll see that BSM still functions.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (05-09-19)
Old 05-16-19, 11:30 AM
Johnss
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petes2019
I’ve been experimenting with my passenger side sensor and this seemed to help- Go to your adjustment screen for the BSM and change the distance at which the sensor “sees” an oncoming car to the SHORTEST distance ( 1 triangle). Then adjust the mirror view out away from the side of the car so what you’re seeing is only the oncoming cars and none of the side sill of the rear window. I believe that the sensor is on the mirror housing itself and not the mirror but by changing the mirror position.. strangely, mine seems to operate properly now and will light when an upcoming car approaches AND will go out immediately after they overtake me. Try this and see if it helps. Just a thought.
I was hoping this would work.... Tried it and unfortunately no.
Old 09-19-19, 09:04 PM
homeseto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by johnrbanks

My BSM on my 2019 ES350 FSPORT has been malfunctioning since new. Dealer can’t find error code. Basically when it malfunctions, it activates when a vehicle overtakes me and then the mirror indicator light remains on even though there aren’t any vehicles within sight behind me. It remains on until another vehicle overtakes and passes me before the mirror light turns off. I have provided video evidence of the problem to Lexus. I allowed my service manager to use my car for two days. He too experienced the malfunction. Lexus tells me they haven’t had any other reports of this problem and tell me they are studying the problem. I have owned both a 2015 and 2017 ES350 both with BSM and didn’t experience this issue in either of them. Has anyone else experienced the problem?
The same problem started in my new car yesterday. 2019 ES350. Driver side mirror. So disappointed!
Old 09-23-19, 02:03 PM
rcoul21ES3
Driver School Candidate

Default Same BSM Issue

Originally Posted by homeseto
The same problem started in my new car yesterday. 2019 ES350. Driver side mirror. So disappointed!
I have a new 2019 ES300h - exact same issue. It does not generate an error code, as others have found. It sounds like they have a bunch of malfunctioning sensors in the field and haven't admitted to it.
Old 10-17-19, 10:08 AM
johnrbanks
Driver School Candidate

After many videos recordings showing both when the BSM was malfunctioning and when it was working perfectly Lexus Canada finally agreed to replace the sensor. It has been functioning perfectly since the repair. I don’t know the cost of the sensor but it sure escapes me why Lexus devoted so much effort avoiding replacing what I knew all during this exercise was a faulty sensor.
Old 10-17-19, 10:32 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

After many videos recordings showing both when the BSM was malfunctioning and when it was working perfectly Lexus Canada finally agreed to replace the sensor. It has been functioning perfectly since the repair. I don’t know the cost of the sensor but it sure escapes me why Lexus devoted so much effort avoiding replacing what I knew all during this exercise was a faulty sensor.
Hey, it only took seven months.
Old 12-30-19, 12:41 PM
Johnss
Driver School Candidate

My dealership recently replaced the BSM sensor as well... it did not fix the problem. I've pretty much given up.
Old 12-30-19, 01:23 PM
johnrbanks
Driver School Candidate

Default Blind spot monitor malfunctioning

Originally Posted by Johnss
My dealership recently replaced the BSM sensor as well... it did not fix the problem. I've pretty much given up.
There is a master and slave sensor. Maybe they didn’t replace the right one. Feel for you!!
Old 01-18-20, 05:27 PM
MikeG777
Driver School Candidate

Default Blind spot monitor snafu

My BSM on my 2019 ES350 FSPORT has been malfunctioning since new. Dealer can’t find error code. Basically when it malfunctions, it activates when a vehicle overtakes me and then the mirror indicator light remains on even though there aren’t any vehicles within sight behind me. It remains on until another vehicle overtakes and passes me before the mirror light turns off. I have provided video evidence of the problem to Lexus. I allowed my service manager to use my car for two days. He too experienced the malfunction. Lexus tells me they haven’t had any other reports of this problem and tell me they are studying the problem. I have owned both a 2015 and 2017 ES350 both with BSM and didn’t experience this issue in either of them. Has anyone else experienced the problem?
My 2018 ES 300 BSM stopped working and I received an alert from LEXUS. Two months ago another car hit my rear in a garage AND BSM continued to function w/o interruption. Now the dealer says the rearending caused the BSM to stop working 2 mos later. They want to replace the rear bumper and the two rear sensors. This makes no sence to me. Has anyone had their BSM stop working and if so what was the cause? Could it be a defective sensor or a bad fuse or circuit?
Old 03-10-20, 08:23 AM
Driver10
Driver School Candidate

Just took my 2019 ES 350 Sport in for the 5000 mile checkup. My right side BSM does not work half of the time, all they told me was there were no error codes so no problem. Whats next?

Last edited by Driver10; 03-11-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 10:02 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver10
Just took my 2019 ES 350 Sport in for the 5000 mile checkup. My right side BSM does not work have of the time, all they told be was there were not error codes so no problem. Whats next?
Glad you made it to the board, and good luck with your car. Was the monitor on/off since you got it? Someone here before, shot phone videos of it until it failed a few times, then the dealer found the problem. Be persistent. What color combo on the F Sport?

Last edited by LeeSoFL; 03-11-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 06:30 AM
Driver10
Driver School Candidate

Default BSM malfunction

Thanks and I'm glad to be here. The BSM has been on since day one, I have had the vehicle for 5 months and it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. Mine is silver with black interior.

Last edited by Driver10; 03-11-20 at 06:31 AM. Reason: answer question
Old 03-11-20, 07:56 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver10
Just took my 2019 ES 350 Sport in for the 5000 mile checkup. My right side BSM does not work half of the time, all they told me was there were no error codes so no problem. Whats next?
Yes, welcome to Club Lexus.

I don't really have any "good" advice, but my thoughts are to be patient but firm with the dealership service department. If that doesn't seem to get you anywhere, you can always go to Lexus directly. While there are always exceptions, I believe most of the dealer service personnel want to take care of your car so you enjoy your experience with the vehicle (and of course will buy again, thus ensuring their continued employment). Having spent my career in IT support, I know it can be challenging to troubleshoot when the tech cannot duplicate the issue that is being reported, and there are no log or event entries that provide any clues. We would always try to exercise the equipment in the same fashion as when the error occurred, and of course run any available diagnostic tests and check connectors. Intermittent issues were always the hardest to troubleshoot as it wasn't always easy to figure out the conditions that would induce the error and sometimes it was just completely random. Of course, there were also times we just had to resort to swapping parts until we happened to swap the part that was randomly failing. Like I said, patience will go a long way, but at the same time be firm and let them know you aren't going away until the issue is resolved.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (03-12-20)
Old 11-30-20, 11:10 AM
jglipman
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MY 2019 RX-350L has blind pot monitoring. Driver's side works fine, passenger side works about half the time. Lexus dealer and Corporate say all is OK, but it's not. I have driven 2 other 2019 Rx-350's and a 2020 RX-350 with the same issue.
Old 11-30-20, 12:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by jglipman
MY 2019 RX-350L has blind pot monitoring. Driver's side works fine, passenger side works about half the time. Lexus dealer and Corporate say all is OK, but it's not. I have driven 2 other 2019 Rx-350's and a 2020 RX-350 with the same issue.
This is the ES forum. Head over to RX.

Quick Reply: Blind spot monitor malfunctioning