ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 Lexus ES350 UL v. 2019 Toyota Camry XLE V6 (fully optioned)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 02:10 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2019 Lexus ES350 UL v. 2019 Toyota Camry XLE V6 (fully optioned)

Greetings!

I thought that I'd briefly compare these two cars.

A few initial thoughts/comments:

1. I suspect that the vehicles are rarely cross-shopped. They're in different leagues. That said, they share the same platform, have identical powertrains, and are built on the same assembly line in Georgetown, KY.
2. I've owned 15+ Lexus vehicles and love the company. The XLE is my first Toyota out of the 40+ vehicles that I've owned.
3. A fully-loaded XLE V6 is extremely rare. Only 5% of Camry buyers opt for a V6, and now it seems most of those folks go with the XSE V6. Last week there was only ONE loaded XLE V6 in the entire metro Atlanta region. Mine had been on the lot since Jan. with no test drives (it was showing 3 mi. in the odo).

So here are my observations:

1. The ES is stunningly beautiful, both inside and out. I think it's the best-looking car in Lexus' entire lineup. The interior is stunning.
2. The driving experiences are nearly identical -- both around town and on the highway. But I was surprised that the Camry is incredibly soft and quiet on the highway. But unlike the ES, there is NO WIND NOISE on the driver's side.
3. The ES has better-looking and more-adjustable seats. But for me the Camry's seats are more comfortable. I've already taken two 3-hour road trips and can say that my butt wasn't in pain. The Camry's bottom cushion is well-padded and lacks the bar or flat spot that a lot of UL owners have complained about.
4. For a top-of-the-line trim the XLE lacks features like rain-sensing wipers, memory seats, power tilt, etc.
5. The Camry's Driver Assistance package, and most notably the bird's eye view camera, is awesome.
6. Entune 3.0 is quite intuitive. The dynamic nav seems identical to that in the ES.
7. So here's the biggie: the top-of-the-line 800w JBL Premium Audio w/Clari-Fi is surprisingly good. The reviews on YouTube (e.g., Redline Reviews) and elsewhere (e.g., Automobile Magazine) agree. I went to the test drive with low expectations and expected the JBL to be a deal breaker. But I was wrong. The system is clear, balanced, and powerful (i.e., strong bass). In fact, it is the only system of the 40+ that I've owned that sounds great with no tone or fader adjustments.

I'm sure that you might be curious about cost. The MSRP on the Camry was $38,783. I paid $31,951 + TTL.
Old 03-09-19, 11:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,714 Posts

I know they share platforms but the Camry is still a Camry - no offense but unrealistic to compare to the ES. Of course good luck with yours
Old 03-09-19, 12:37 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

If you want to compare the ES to the closest Toyota model it isn't the Camry. It has been several years since the ES has been based on the Camry. It's the Avalon that you should compare to since that is what the ES is based on.
Old 03-09-19, 12:40 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 620 Likes on 468 Posts

Doesn't the 7th gen ES still share the same platform as the Avalon? The Avalon, in the past anyways, was based on a "stretched" Camry platform. I have not researched this on this gen, but I think it would be odd if they went back to the old gen 1 through 5 scenario.
Old 03-09-19, 12:44 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Doesn't the 7th gen ES still share the same platform as the Avalon? The Avalon, in the past anyways, was based on a "stretched" Camry platform. I have not researched this on this gen, but I think it would be odd if they went back to the old gen 1 through 5 scenario.
You are correct. The ES is based on the Avalon not the Camry.
Old 03-09-19, 01:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
You are correct. The ES is based on the Avalon not the Camry.
All three are built on the GAK platform but thats where the similarities end, even with the Avalon.
Old 03-09-19, 01:30 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
All three are built on the GAK platform but thats where the similarities end, even with the Avalon.
What are the platform differences between the Avalon and the ES?
Old 03-09-19, 02:46 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Lexus and Avalon are both 4 inches longer than the Camry.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...9176&cars=9771

Consumer reports tends to be biased (IMO) but they do offer a nice comparsion tool.
Old 03-09-19, 03:21 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Greetings!

I thought that I'd briefly compare these two cars.

A few initial thoughts/comments:

1. I suspect that the vehicles are rarely cross-shopped. They're in different leagues. That said, they share the same platform, have identical powertrains, and are built on the same assembly line in Georgetown, KY.
2. I've owned 15+ Lexus vehicles and love the company. The XLE is my first Toyota out of the 40+ vehicles that I've owned.
3. A fully-loaded XLE V6 is extremely rare. Only 5% of Camry buyers opt for a V6, and now it seems most of those folks go with the XSE V6. Last week there was only ONE loaded XLE V6 in the entire metro Atlanta region. Mine had been on the lot since Jan. with no test drives (it was showing 3 mi. in the odo).

So here are my observations:

1. The ES is stunningly beautiful, both inside and out. I think it's the best-looking car in Lexus' entire lineup. The interior is stunning.
2. The driving experiences are nearly identical -- both around town and on the highway. But I was surprised that the Camry is incredibly soft and quiet on the highway. But unlike the ES, there is NO WIND NOISE on the driver's side.
3. The ES has better-looking and more-adjustable seats. But for me the Camry's seats are more comfortable. I've already taken two 3-hour road trips and can say that my butt wasn't in pain. The Camry's bottom cushion is well-padded and lacks the bar or flat spot that a lot of UL owners have complained about.
4. For a top-of-the-line trim the XLE lacks features like rain-sensing wipers, memory seats, power tilt, etc.
5. The Camry's Driver Assistance package, and most notably the bird's eye view camera, is awesome.
6. Entune 3.0 is quite intuitive. The dynamic nav seems identical to that in the ES.
7. So here's the biggie: the top-of-the-line 800w JBL Premium Audio w/Clari-Fi is surprisingly good. The reviews on YouTube (e.g., Redline Reviews) and elsewhere (e.g., Automobile Magazine) agree. I went to the test drive with low expectations and expected the JBL to be a deal breaker. But I was wrong. The system is clear, balanced, and powerful (i.e., strong bass). In fact, it is the only system of the 40+ that I've owned that sounds great with no tone or fader adjustments.

I'm sure that you might be curious about cost. The MSRP on the Camry was $38,783. I paid $31,951 + TTL.
the es is the same as the avalon not the camry other then power plant and the avalon limited its 45k
Old 03-09-19, 06:20 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
What are the platform differences between the Avalon and the ES?
Both are GAK
Old 03-09-19, 06:22 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Lexus and Avalon are both 4 inches longer than the Camry.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...9176&cars=9771

Consumer reports tends to be biased (IMO) but they do offer a nice comparsion tool.
Useless comparisons - V6 ES vs Hybrid Avalon vs 4cyl Camry. Apples, oranges and grapefruits.
Old 03-09-19, 06:40 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Both are GAK
So, what's the difference you were implying?

The Avalon and ES are now on the same, unmodified Camry platform? Meaning, they are no longer stretched/extended?
Old 03-09-19, 09:15 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that the current gen Camry LEs and XLEs tend to be slower to settle after going over small dips in the road. I drive the interstates and expressways in Florida. The overpasses frequently have those small dips where the bridge itself begins and ends. I've noticed the current gen of LEs and XLEs do seem to bob more than they should when going over those places. The SEs and XSEs have stiffer suspension and don't do that. I drove 4 cyl Camrys for 30 years and enjoyed them very much. I bought a '13 ES Lux in '14 and it enjoyed it even more. I now have a '17 Lux ES that I bought in '18. Those cars are terrific - so nice especially on the highways. The ride is just right for me. No excess bobbing around and ride great. I realize Irishbrahm's Camry is a V6 and that is a plus. The ES V6s are my first and that also contributes to the pleasure driving on the highway. It is so effortless especially when pulling out to pass. Also the 4 cyl Camrys when in cruise always shifted down on overpasses and that annoyed me. The V6s don't do that.
Old 03-10-19, 01:08 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

I'm well-aware that the Avalon is "closer" to the current-gen ES. I didn't make that comparison because I didn't buy an Avalon.

Why not?

1. The Avalon's styling, both inside and out, is just too much.
2. I agree with Alex on Autos that the gap between a loaded Camry and an Avalon isn't big enough to justify paying considerably more for the Avalon.
3. The Camry XLE V6 is considerably more nimble (power/weight ratio, etc.).

Last edited by irishbrahm; 03-10-19 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 01:11 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JRandy
I have read that the current gen Camry LEs and XLEs tend to be slower to settle after going over small dips in the road. I drive the interstates and expressways in Florida. The overpasses frequently have those small dips where the bridge itself begins and ends. I've noticed the current gen of LEs and XLEs do seem to bob more than they should when going over those places. The SEs and XSEs have stiffer suspension and don't do that. I drove 4 cyl Camrys for 30 years and enjoyed them very much. I bought a '13 ES Lux in '14 and it enjoyed it even more. I now have a '17 Lux ES that I bought in '18. Those cars are terrific - so nice especially on the highways. The ride is just right for me. No excess bobbing around and ride great. I realize Irishbrahm's Camry is a V6 and that is a plus. The ES V6s are my first and that also contributes to the pleasure driving on the highway. It is so effortless especially when pulling out to pass. Also the 4 cyl Camrys when in cruise always shifted down on overpasses and that annoyed me. The V6s don't do that.
Thanks. I don't notice any bobbing, etc. in the XLE V6. Its highway manners are nearly indistinguishable from the '19 ES.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES350 UL v. 2019 Toyota Camry XLE V6 (fully optioned)