ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Album art only displays in park?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 05:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I HATE that. That's my biggest complaint about the sound system interface and really the car in general.

I currently have a Camry(my ES got shipped from Japan today ) and I love that it has XM, FM and AM presets all separate. I don't like that it has two pages of 6 for FM and 3 pages of 6 for XM but at least it's better than the ES where there are all jumbled together.

It obviously wasn't a deal breaker but damn it sucks. Hard to believe that a car $20,000 less actually does presets better.

As for the XM station names it's been a while since I took my last test drive but I thought the station art and name were displayed all the time.
You can filter the presets in the ES any way you want to - Mixed, AM, FM, XM.
Old 03-15-19, 05:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pgiinc
I watch tv text surf and all that while driving
Well done - make sure your LKA is activated.
Old 03-15-19, 10:05 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You can filter the presets in the ES any way you want to - Mixed, AM, FM, XM.
Really? I don't remember seeing that setting. Where is that setting? I guess I'll have to just look closer when my car is delivered next month.
Old 03-15-19, 12:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Really? I don't remember seeing that setting. Where is that setting? I guess I'll have to just look closer when my car is delivered next month.
I will check as well but there's a way to select them that way right on the presets screen.
Old 03-16-19, 06:10 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I will check as well but there's a way to select them that way right on the presets screen.
Well I was thinking of our RX when I mentioned this but seems the feature is not in the ES?

Old 03-17-19, 08:30 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ES63
Yes that's another thing i do love about the presets is you dont have to change modes ! You can intermix fm, am and xm stations in any order on the presets so its just a matter of advancing up and down. i do same thing, have 2 FM stations as first couple presets then mostly XM and an AM local ,actually on preset 36 so i can get to it in rev quickly.the combo ability is great .
Every system will have its strengths and weaknesses , and little annoyances. On my previous genesis the preset selection up down selector on the steering wheel would work one direction on the presets in one mode/screen. on another screen the direction was reversed. used to drive me nuts id always pick the wrong way the first time. lol
Same here; I love that feature! I would never have guessed that some people have found this feature that I love to be an annoyance to them. Takes all kinds to make a world.
Old 03-17-19, 11:46 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Same here; I love that feature! I would never have guessed that some people have found this feature that I love to be an annoyance to them. Takes all kinds to make a world.
I listen to 15 different XM stations(and 1 that I always manually tune to), 4 FM stations and 2 AM stations. It would be much faster to get to the preset I want if I could separate them by mode. If the last AM station I listened to was not the one I want to listen to it would just be a matter of switching to AM presets and switching one preset( since I only listen to 2 AM). Easy. With one combined preset list I'd have to go through up to 10 presets. Switching the radio mode to AM and manually tuning to the station would probably be faster.

Also, I want all of my XM presets together and ordered by type(music first then comedy then sports). That means I'd have something like 1-15 are XM, 16-19 are FM and 20-21 are AM. Occasionally I find a new XM station I like or XM will change some station temporarily and I'll want to add it. That means moving some of the XM music, the XM comedy and sport, FM and AM down to make room for the new XM music station I'm adding. If it's some temporary station change I'll remove it just a few weeks later which means moving everything back up one. In the case of the ES I'd have to clear the last preset as well. Can I even do that?
Old 03-17-19, 11:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I listen to 15 different XM stations(and 1 that I always manually tune to), 4 FM stations and 2 AM stations. It would be much faster to get to the preset I want if I could separate them by mode. If the last AM station I listened to was not the one I want to listen to it would just be a matter of switching to AM presets and switching one preset( since I only listen to 2 AM). Easy. With one combined preset list I'd have to go through up to 10 presets. Switching the radio mode to AM and manually tuning to the station would probably be faster.

Also, I want all of my XM presets together and ordered by type(music first then comedy then sports). That means I'd have something like 1-15 are XM, 16-19 are FM and 20-21 are AM. Occasionally I find a new XM station I like or XM will change some station temporarily and I'll want to add it. That means moving some of the XM music, the XM comedy and sport, FM and AM down to make room for the new XM music station I'm adding. If it's some temporary station change I'll remove it just a few weeks later which means moving everything back up one. In the case of the ES I'd have to clear the last preset as well. Can I even do that?
With that much obsession related to presets, just use the voice command to tune to any one you want and you'll need not worry about any of this.
Old 03-17-19, 12:10 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

With that much obsession related to presets, just use the voice command to tune to any one you want and you'll need not worry about any of this.
I wouldn't call it an obsession. More a desire for efficiently. I want to get to the station without wasted time. The voice commands are even slower.
Old 03-17-19, 03:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I have four pages of presets populated and can get to any one of them in two or three seconds. Works perfectly for me but I guess not everyone.
Old 06-22-21, 01:47 PM
tp0908
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I also find it odd that my 2021 Lexus ES do not show album art when playing audio from Bluetooth and USB when on Drive mode
Album art is always displayed when using Carplay. So, I just always plug my iPhone everytime.
But the annoyances I have with Carplay is the option to select the Artist and changing the playlist while in motion.
To select an Artist, there is no way to enter even just the first letter. So if you are going to select "Y", you have to slide down from "A" down to "Y (wtf?).
For playlist, you are stuck with it until you are in full stop to change it.

My Camry 2018 SE shows album art on all modes (USB, BT and Carplay) regardless if it is on Park or Drive mode.
Does that make Lexus safer? huh.

I hope Lexus will make Album Art display available as an option (to switch On or Off).
I've seen BMW 2020 3-series have the Bluetooth music displays album art while on drive mode.

Last edited by tp0908; 06-22-21 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rgermano (10-18-21)
Old 06-22-21, 03:29 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tp0908
I also find it odd that my 2021 Lexus ES do not show album art when playing audio from Bluetooth and USB when on Drive mode
Album art is always displayed when using Carplay. So, I just always plug my iPhone everytime.
But the annoyances I have with Carplay is the option to select the Artist and changing the playlist while in motion.
To select an Artist, there is no way to enter even just the first letter. So if you are going to select "Y", you have to slide down from "A" down to "Y (wtf?).
For playlist, you are stuck with it until you are in full stop to change it.
Just use Siri to change the playlist, artist, and/or song.
The following users liked this post:
Tmymck (06-22-21)
Old 10-18-21, 10:38 AM
rgermano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Lexus, any upcoming OTA update to bring back images like in 2018 and before? I agree with all here, it’s very frustrating not been able to see the album art or contact’s picture like before. If government wants to enforce this ridiculous feature, why isn’t done to older models as well? A punishment for newers cars only?
Old 04-26-22, 10:44 AM
trajones
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I hate it!

I have had a 2019, 2020 & 2021 Lexus, the album art displayed while driving in all of them. Now I have a 2022 Lexus, I am thinking I am upgrading, but to me, it is a downgrade.
If I play music thru my phone, it displays the album art thru ApplePlay. So, what is

the difference.
If they are saying it is a safely issue, there should not be anything displayed at all.
It makes me not like this car.

Last edited by trajones; 04-26-22 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Message is showing squares instead apostrophes
The following 2 users liked this post by trajones:
DTCG (09-16-22), lastkid11 (07-30-22)
Old 04-26-22, 11:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus lawyers probably determined they are not responsible for Crapple related issues like this. Do you truly need to see the album art while you are driving? This one is puzzling to me - sorry. So much so that this is a reason you do not like the car?

Quick Reply: Album art only displays in park?