ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Why is it that US models don't get power folding mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 09:14 PM
JoshuaYN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it that US models don't get power folding mirrors?

I just can't wrap my head around it. The ES is a car that often goes upwards of $50k and is often compared to the E-class, but it lacks such a basic feature. I can understand Lexus's security concerns with android auto, but I just can't understand why the US doesn't get power folding mirrors.
Old 01-29-19, 07:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

It's a nice to have but quite frankly more of a gimmick than anything else unless you routinely park in tight spots. I've had folding mirrors for years on other cars, have them on our RX but honestly don't miss them one bit on the ES.
Old 01-29-19, 12:49 PM
JoshuaYN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It's a nice to have but quite frankly more of a gimmick than anything else unless you routinely park in tight spots. I've had folding mirrors for years on other cars, have them on our RX but honestly don't miss them one bit on the ES.
Because of my job, I live in fear of college students scraping my car every single day I go to work. Hasn't happened yet, but a bit more safety could never hurt. I'm also the type that forgets if he locked the car or not and walks back a few minutes to double check, so having some visual indicator that the car is already locked would be nice. It's not a deal breaker, just a bit disappointing.
Old 01-29-19, 12:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoshuaYN
Because of my job, I live in fear of college students scraping my car every single day I go to work. Hasn't happened yet, but a bit more safety could never hurt. I'm also the type that forgets if he locked the car or not and walks back a few minutes to double check, so having some visual indicator that the car is already locked would be nice. It's not a deal breaker, just a bit disappointing.
I get it and understand your concerns. But you can't miss locking it - tap the handle and the lights flash and beep sounds.
Old 01-30-19, 01:21 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

This is the only reason I enable folding mirrors on our vehicles. I may have locked it by habit but sometimes your mind is pre-occupied and you're just not sure or you're too far away for the remote to work.
Old 02-01-19, 02:21 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The remote app will send you an alert if you forget to lock the car and allow you to lock them.
The following users liked this post:
CJPrinter (12-29-23)
Old 02-02-19, 02:36 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I get it and understand your concerns. But you can't miss locking it - tap the handle and the lights flash and beep sounds.
Ditto. A beep and a flashing light is a pretty visual signal. Plus, you can always check on your phone with Lexus enform. You can check your car in a parking garage from the 20th floor of an office building. Power folding mirror won't do that. But, it would only take a couple of seconds to manually fold them if that is important to you.

A little off-topic, but I live in Florida and often leave my windows cracked to reduce heat build-up in parking lots. Yes, you got it. Enform sends me notifications that my windows are not closed...
Old 02-02-19, 05:32 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This was one of the reasons why I didn't go for the new ES for the lack of auto-folding mirrors. I came from an IS f-sport and I would manually fold my mirrors in everywhere I go, even in the rain. In High school, I had an Altima coupe and someone knocked my mirror off and I had to replace it. So I know the feeling. I went with the NX F sport tho. Wanted to sit higher and as an added bonus, it comes standard with auto folding mirrors on the 18 & up. And I got the one with apple carplay!

its crazy cause the rest of the world, lexus have auto folding mirrors on every model in their lineup.
Old 02-02-19, 11:14 PM
JoshuaYN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilfool
This was one of the reasons why I didn't go for the new ES for the lack of auto-folding mirrors. I came from an IS f-sport and I would manually fold my mirrors in everywhere I go, even in the rain. In High school, I had an Altima coupe and someone knocked my mirror off and I had to replace it. So I know the feeling. I went with the NX F sport tho. Wanted to sit higher and as an added bonus, it comes standard with auto folding mirrors on the 18 & up. And I got the one with apple carplay!

its crazy cause the rest of the world, lexus have auto folding mirrors on every model in their lineup.
Yeah, I just don't understand why the US models don't get it. Lexus did it for the rest of the world but not the US? Very strange. I assume they must have some legitimate reason, but no one seems to know anything.
Old 02-03-19, 11:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Can't imagine folding mirrors or lack thereof becomes a deal breaker but that's just me. I cringed the other morning after I opened my wife's RX after a deep freeze and the mirrors crackled as they unfolded!
Old 02-03-19, 11:25 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Can't imagine folding mirrors or lack thereof becomes a deal breaker but that's just me. I cringed the other morning after I opened my wife's RX after a deep freeze and the mirrors crackled as they unfolded!
Clearly auto-folding mirrors didn't matter to me either. But, everyone is different. I remember rejecting the Infinity J30 because the sunroof wasn't glass although I loved the car otherwise. I understand how some things can just bug you.
Old 02-03-19, 12:03 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Clearly auto-folding mirrors didn't matter to me either. But, everyone is different. I remember rejecting the Infinity J30 because the sunroof wasn't glass although I loved the car otherwise. I understand how some things can just bug you.
Yes indeed I get it. What was the sunroof made of if not glass??
Old 02-03-19, 05:41 PM
JoshuaYN
Driver School Candidate

Not a deal breaker to me, but I do think that it's a minor annoyance that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Old 02-03-19, 05:56 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Yes indeed I get it. What was the sunroof made of if not glass??
It was just the roof of the car opening. Technically, the galss ones are called moon roof. https://columbuscaraudio.com/what-is...of-a-moonroof/
Old 02-04-19, 07:23 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah that gotta suck. Lucky for me, I live in Miami so i wouldn't have that problem. Just gotta deal with ppl who can't park nor drive in a straight line.

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
I said it was ONE of the reasons but not a deal breaker. As I stated, I wanted to sit up higher from the ground especially coming from an IS (real low rider) and we already have the GS so it wasn't in my favor. In addition, wasn't really any good deals or incentives for the ES down here to me I guess since its brand new.

But I do agree with you with everyone is different. You are 100% right about that.

Quick Reply: Why is it that US models don't get power folding mirrors?