ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Something that annoys you or you love?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 05:54 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
True - its a nickel and dime approach by them and even more annoying theres no dedicated remote start right on the fob. Gee whiz my crappy GM suv from ten years ago had that on the fob.
That is not True. You can use the Key fob to remote start the car there is no dedicated button Like GM Keys.
Here is how you start the car using the Key fob(this is still part of the subscription, this method will stop working when the subscription expires):
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyMJ (12-26-18)
Old 11-15-18, 08:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
That is not True. You can use the Key fob to remote start the car there is no dedicated button Like GM Keys.
Here is how you start the car using the Key fob(this is still part of the subscription, this method will stop working when the subscription expires): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09cvpUF7hE8
Yep - I've seen this and it has literally never worked for me. I gave up months ago and just use the app.
Old 11-15-18, 08:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

Yep - I've seen this and it has literally never worked for me. I gave up months ago and just use the app.
You need to be about as close as depicted in the video.
Old 11-15-18, 09:19 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Welcome to the future where everything is a (paid) service. The only way out is to have a direct connection between remote and the car that allows remote start, without bouncing to the cloud and back.
That would seriously decrease the range.

The fact is it is a monthly on going cost for Lexus to provide that service. They do provide Service Connect for 10 years which is already a big surprise.
Old 11-15-18, 09:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
You need to be about as close as depicted in the video.
I'll try again - I've done it standing right next to the car - no dice.
Old 11-16-18, 10:32 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Does it start from your phone? If not, there is probably an issue with your enform remote subscription. Mine got screwed up for a while when they updated their software but works fine now. I normally use the phone for remote start since the key fob range is very limited.
Old 11-17-18, 07:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Does it start from your phone? If not, there is probably an issue with your enform remote subscription. Mine got screwed up for a while when they updated their software but works fine now. I normally use the phone for remote start since the key fob range is very limited.
Starts from the phone EVERY TIME.
Old 11-28-18, 05:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

I just went through the key starting process with my parent's 2019 ES. They have older phones, so they can't use the phone starting app. I showed them how to start my 2013 with the key and then asked them to try it on their 2019. No dice, so I tried it. Again, it wouldn't start. After several failed attempts, I found you have to press the lock 3x as quickly as possible, where with the old starter, you had to pause in between presses. So, the process is the same "lock, lock, lock (hold)", but no pauses. It takes what seems like 25 seconds before the lights start to flash and the car starts up. Mine starts much sooner than that.
Old 11-28-18, 07:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
I just went through the key starting process with my parent's 2019 ES. They have older phones, so they can't use the phone starting app. I showed them how to start my 2013 with the key and then asked them to try it on their 2019. No dice, so I tried it. Again, it wouldn't start. After several failed attempts, I found you have to press the lock 3x as quickly as possible, where with the old starter, you had to pause in between presses. So, the process is the same "lock, lock, lock (hold)", but no pauses. It takes what seems like 25 seconds before the lights start to flash and the car starts up. Mine starts much sooner than that.
So three rapid "locks" and hold on the 3rd for 25 seconds. I'll try again. I may get a cramp in my hand doing that often
Old 12-22-18, 10:09 PM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things annoy me so far -

When turning the engine off, the audio turns off as well... whether I am on the phone hands-free or listening to music.

So if I want to sit in my car and continue to talk with someone or listen to music, I have to leave the engine running OR turn the car completely off, then turn it back on without pressing the brake pedal... then wait patiently for the system to turn on with the Lexus graphic etc...

In my previous vehicle, I could turn the car off and the audio/phone would still work... only ending the audio or phone connection when I open my door handle.

I find the touchpad too sensitive even when sensitivity is lowered and speed is changed to slow. It regularly skips over options even when I am trying to move the cursor slowly and carefully. I do miss the touch screen in my previous vehicle... quick, straightforward and consistent with less requirement to pay attention especially when driving.
Old 12-22-18, 10:18 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SciGuy
Two things annoy me so far -

When turning the engine off, the audio turns off as well... whether I am on the phone hands-free or listening to music.

So if I want to sit in my car and continue to talk with someone or listen to music, I have to leave the engine running OR turn the car completely off, then turn it back on without pressing the brake pedal... then wait patiently for the system to turn on with the Lexus graphic etc...

In my previous vehicle, I could turn the car off and the audio/phone would still work... only ending the audio or phone connection when I open my door handle.

I find the touchpad too sensitive even when sensitivity is lowered and speed is changed to slow. It regularly skips over options even when I am trying to move the cursor slowly and carefully. I do miss the touch screen in my previous vehicle... quick, straightforward and consistent with less requirement to pay attention especially when driving.

I partly agree about the touch pad. I think I'll be able to get used to it. What I do like is the location of the screen. It's father up the dash making it easier to see without taking my eyes off the road. However, that causes the downside of a touch screen not really working because of how far you'd have to reach. The touch pad isn't great but of all the non-touch screen opinions I think it is the best I've used. I've been in cars that have the rotating dial or the old sliding joystick that Lexus used before the touch pad. Both of those are worse in my opinion.
Old 12-23-18, 09:23 AM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Touchpad - if there is a wheel/click (like Mercedes and others) sold 3rd party, I will be willing to pay up to $500 and get rid of touchpad.
Old 12-23-18, 12:00 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I partly agree about the touch pad. I think I'll be able to get used to it. What I do like is the location of the screen. It's father up the dash making it easier to see without taking my eyes off the road. However, that causes the downside of a touch screen not really working because of how far you'd have to reach. The touch pad isn't great but of all the non-touch screen opinions I think it is the best I've used. I've been in cars that have the rotating dial or the old sliding joystick that Lexus used before the touch pad. Both of those are worse in my opinion.
I feel like Ive mastered the touch pad after just a few weeks of ownership. It works much better than the mouse in our RX although honestly I got comfortable with that as well.
signdetres (12-23-18)
Old 12-26-18, 04:14 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SciGuy

Solution is place car in Neutral, press stop to shut engine, then shift to Park. All accessory devices retain power. To cancel you need to press Start button again.
The following 4 users liked this post by LeeSoFL:
dhschneide (02-17-19), hisstojay (02-21-19), mikemu30 (12-26-18), scoresman (12-26-18)
Old 12-26-18, 06:27 AM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Annoyances:

That the outside review mirrors don't have auto-fold or even manually fold capability.

As already mentioned, once the car is turned off, the accessories stop; my Ford truck continues (such as playing the radio) for 10 minutes. Thanks LeeSoFL for the work around.

When using dual view: radio main window, map as smaller window, the system won't keep the map view - it will change from the map to upcoming exits. There's an override option in our 2017 RX350.

The cover for the front drink holder and USB ports can't be closed when a USB cord is plugged in (nor is their another USB port), so I can't use Apple Car Play.

Otherwise, a great car.

Last edited by scoresman; 12-26-18 at 06:52 AM.
FTBoomer (07-14-19)

Quick Reply: Something that annoys you or you love?