ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

One week with my ES 300H

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have to agree that I really enjoy the 268 HP juice when I put my foot down and accelerate quickly and smoothly... Anxious to drive the 303 HP 2019... Wish it was 345 like my Corvette...
My father says he feels no difference between his new 302hp Avalon and his outgoing ES at 268
Old 10-11-18, 03:04 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the hybrid because it's so quiet. Yes, you do hear some whines and whirring but that's reduced in the new ES compared to the old one. I've gone on long trips up in the mountains and the electric motor works well above 10,000 feet where gas engines struggle. It's also nice to get over 40 mpg on road trips, especially where the car is running purely on electrical power on downhill stretches.
I'm not sure Lexus will make a PHEV version of this car. Stuffing a big 10 kWh pack would add a ton of weight to a big car and compromise interior space. The Prius Prime is a small PHEV; a big one like the Volvo V90 T8 or BMW X5 eDrive is very heavy and fuel efficiency nosedives when the battery is depleted because the small engine has to lug around an empty battery pack. They're fine if you drive 10-20 miles per day in EV mode.
Old 10-11-18, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Ifuel efficiency nosedives when the battery is depleted because the small engine has to lug around an empty battery pack.
This is not the case with the Prius plug in option. With Hyundai a Sonata Plug in Hybrid has 600 mile range. A S90 plug in has a 410 miles range.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-11-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. Stuffing a big 10 kWh pack would add a ton of weight to a big car and compromise interior space.
The Ford Fusion Plug in has the same interior space as the Ford Fusion regular hybrid.
Old 10-12-18, 06:15 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Ford Fusion Plug in has the same interior space as the Ford Fusion regular hybrid.
But the Ford Fusion Energi plug-in has a much smaller trunk, just like the Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid had a much smaller trunk than the Accord Hybrid. And the regular Fusion Hybrid and Accord Hybrid already have smaller trunks than the normal models.
Old 10-12-18, 12:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

This business of:
Low Coupes vs Medium Height Sedans/Hatches/Wagons vs CUV/SUV Tall Wagons
Gasoline vs Diesel
Atmospheric vs Small Capacity Turbos
ICE vs Hybrids vs Plug-in Hybrids vs Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Electric vs Lithium Ion Battery Powered Electric?

Solid state EV would be best, but Toyota says that its solid state battery powered electric vehicle is over 10 years from mass production.

Presently, there simply is NO perfect design.
Each design has its pros and cons.
Horses for courses, and each to their own.
We simply pick the design that best meets our individual needs, wants and tastes...
Old 10-13-18, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
But the Ford Fusion Energi plug-in has a much smaller trunk, just like the Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid had a much smaller trunk than the Accord Hybrid. And the regular Fusion Hybrid and Accord Hybrid already have smaller trunks than the normal models.
That is a valid drawback of adding the additional battery pack, however not everybody requires the full truck space. The interior is not allows compromised like someone suggested.
Old 10-15-18, 05:00 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wmogolov
I have now driven my new 2019 ES 300H for one week. This is my first hybrid and my fourth new ES that I've owned through the years. My reasons for changing to a hybrid may not have been 100% logical. However, IMO not all decisions in life have to be logical. I was intrigued with the idea of using less gas and filling up less and going longer in-between fill ups. However, from a financial point of view, to recover the increased cost of the hybrid over a normal ES, it would take me quite a long time...maybe even beyond the time that I may keep the car to recover that amount in gas savings.

The car itself is amazing. Mine is a Luxury level with the navigation and Mark Levinson audio. When I first picked up the car and was given a "going over" with the dealer's tech person, I was a little overwhelmed. However, a week later, I now feel comfortable with nearly every feature on the car. I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos. All in all, its not hard to figure a lot of these things out. You just need to be patient and learn by doing.

The ride on the ES300h is very smooth and extremely comfortable. The luxury aspect is also very apparent. Everything is well thought out. All in all...a great car!

Now to a few negative aspects. The interior cabin is very quiet. Most of the time, that is. Hidden in the manual, there is one or two references to noises you will hear which are specific to a hybrid. When the car is in reverse, you will hear a whining sound. It has something to do with the fact that the reverse gears are somehow different than the drive (D) gears. The sound is not overwhelming but is there. If you are considering an ES 300H, make sure you test drive it so you can hear the sound. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. Just think of the sound as money being saved.

Speaking of saving money, over the past week, I’ve driven my normal amount of driving (maybe a bit more) and the gas gauge (filled up a week ago) still registers above the 3/4 mark and shows that I have over 400 miles left on this fillip. Very impressive!

This car is a true pleasure to drive. I have no regrets whatsoever.
its only 1800.00 differance between es350 es300h
Old 10-15-18, 04:38 PM
fatguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also struggling between 300h and 350. I know 300h can save almost half of gas cost, which can justify its price difference. But how long the battery can last? I am planning to have it for 100,000 miles at least. How reliable the battery is for 100,000 miles? And I also doubt if anybody want to buy my used 300h at that time (probably 10 years) due to the battery degradation. I am confident that 350 should have no problem to resell.

Also I asked the dealer yesterday. He said the maintenance for both are about the same. Only difference is 300h may save you cost by less brake replacements. But even for my current 10 year old accord, I only replaced pads twice in total, about $200-300 by local shop.
Old 10-15-18, 05:27 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fatguy
I am also struggling between 300h and 350. I know 300h can save almost half of gas cost, which can justify its price difference. But how long the battery can last? I am planning to have it for 100,000 miles at least. How reliable the battery is for 100,000 miles? And I also doubt if anybody want to buy my used 300h at that time (probably 10 years) due to the battery degradation. I am confident that 350 should have no problem to resell.

Also I asked the dealer yesterday. He said the maintenance for both are about the same. Only difference is 300h may save you cost by less brake replacements. But even for my current 10 year old accord, I only replaced pads twice in total, about $200-300 by local shop.
you are missing the point not only is it good on gas yes about 525 miles per tank but it is the smoothest quietest ride
it glides and has instant power no bullst shifting of gears it just instant torque
on the interstate I go go from 70 to 100 in like 4 sec and no shifting were as the 350 will downshift rev up shift rev up shift all kinds of mess
I hate shifting I love a cvt with electric assist I can easily put it anywhere I want. its fasts, I do not have to plug it in, when you stop most of the time is silent cause the gas motor is not running it seemly starts when you hit the gas, it has no starter the whole electric motor attached to the engine is the starter it turns the motor has no choice but to turn on, works amazingly well
I started with a 2007 Camry hybrid, 13 Avalon hybrid, 16 es300h,19 es300h and my wife has a 15 NX300h getting a 18 NX300h same motor as the es300h
I love them and would not have a none hybrid
do your self a favor and get one you will love it
dont worry about the battery if it ever fails Toyota will replace it No charge
otherwise they could not sell them
so it so much more then just gas saving although that is pretty awesome fact
Old 10-15-18, 05:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
you are missing the point not only is it good on gas yes about 525 miles per tank but it is the smoothest quietest ride
it glides and has instant power no bullst shifting of gears it just instant torque
on the interstate I go go from 70 to 100 in like 4 sec and no shifting were as the 350 will downshift rev up shift rev up shift all kinds of mess
I hate shifting I love a cvt with electric assist I can easily put it anywhere I want. its fasts, I do not have to plug it in, when you stop most of the time is silent cause the gas motor is not running it seemly starts when you hit the gas, it has no starter the whole electric motor attached to the engine is the starter it turns the motor has no choice but to turn on, works amazingly well
I started with a 2007 Camry hybrid, 13 Avalon hybrid, 16 es300h,19 es300h and my wife has a 15 NX300h getting a 18 NX300h same motor as the es300h
I love them and would not have a none hybrid
do your self a favor and get one you will love it
dont worry about the battery if it ever fails Toyota will replace it No charge
otherwise they could not sell them
so it so much more then just gas saving although that is pretty awesome fact
Test drive it first. You may prefer the shifting MESS as many of us do.
Old 10-15-18, 06:11 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Long range is another good thing with the hybrid. I've gone over 1000 km or 600 miles on a single tank averaging over 40 mpg on highways and rural roads.
Old 10-15-18, 06:15 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
the future is not for everyone
many like flip phones still
Old 10-15-18, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Long range is another good thing with the hybrid. I've gone over 1000 km or 600 miles on a single tank averaging over 40 mpg on highways and rural roads.
I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the long range of the ES300h. You are paying extra to go how much farther? Plus you have 100 less horses for the journey.

The ES300h has a 13.2 gallon tank, 45 MPG highway gives a range of 594 mile
The ES350 has a 15.9 gallon tank, 33 MPG highway gives you 524 mile range.

The ES350 also gives you a 1.5 second advantage in 0-60mph times all at a cost of less.

I do respect the fact that there are those that really do love their hybrids I will say.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-15-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 07:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
+1. Give me a gearbox before a CVT...

Quick Reply: One week with my ES 300H