ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

19 ES F-sport. a complete idiots review

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 04:43 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,351 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
1. i dont abuse any vehicle i dont own. theres a diference between a little spirited driving vs hooning the crap out of one.

2. there is no break in period for Lexus. its kind of a myth these days for (most) new cars. you will never see a lexus with 2 miles on it at the dealership. they typically have between 17-25 miles on them, atleast from what ive seen.

3. the car that ended up with a lifter tick was a pontiac, 10 years ago.

4. i created this review to give people an idea to what the new ES is like, not to get accused of abusing cars. maybe i shouldnt have wasted my time writing this.
I am speaking for myself, but I'd rather you NOT "waste your time" to write a review and abuse a vehicle some customer will pay over $50,000 for. Or, if you want to help the community, do it the right way, without going against what is clearly written in the owner's manual. Lexus engineers thought it pertinent to put it in there and I don't think you should be the one to decide if that advice is followed or not since it is not your vehicle.

Originally Posted by SuperMido
I would suggest reading the manual for the car YOU'RE selling before making something up...It clearly talks about the break in rules, and goes into detail as far as what should and should not be done with the car for the first 600 or so miles......
Agreed! It's on page 129 of the ES 350 manual. Also, it was in my 2013 GS 350 manual as well as our 2016 RX 350 manual. I'd be surprised to NOT see it for any model Lexus.
Originally Posted by JDR76
That surprises me. There is a recommended break-in procedure on my 2015 GS. From page 162 of my manual:
It is on page 129 of the ES 350 manual. Found HERE. It states:
Breaking in your new Lexus:
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended
●For the first 186 miles (300 km):Avoid sudden stops
●For the first 621 miles (1000 km)
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds
• Avoid sudden acceleration
• Do not drive continuously in low gears
• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

The acceleration runs the OP described obviously go against what is recommended to "extend the life of the vehicle." Again, just my opinion, but it's clear I would be pissed had I purchased a car that a dealership employee drove as described in the original post.
Old 09-24-18, 06:14 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,351 Likes on 697 Posts

Also want to add, Club Lexus is one of the most relaxed forums I've ever joined. This one just struck a chord with me given numerous terrible experiences in the past. I've said my piece, I'll stop derailing the thread and stay out of it so others can enjoy the review no matter how it came to be
Old 09-24-18, 06:33 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Break-in procedures listed in the manual are optional - straight from Lexus' site.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...k-in-period%3F

Old 09-24-18, 06:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Also want to add, Club Lexus is one of the most relaxed forums I've ever joined. This one just struck a chord with me given numerous terrible experiences in the past. I've said my piece, I'll stop derailing the thread and stay out of it so others can enjoy the review no matter how it came to be
You raise some valid points that quite frankly I've never given thought to. Well done.
Old 09-25-18, 09:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

sorry i ever even wrote this review. however im not in sales and i was a Lexus enthusiast for a very long time before i ever worked at a dealership. i know what will hurt and wont hurt these cars and i would never jeopardize one of them, or my job. im like everybody else here just checking out the new stuff. however, i respect the hell out of the cars and Lexus as a brand. i didn't abuse this car. i just drove it and wanted to tell you guys what it was like, since not many have had a chance to play with them yet.

Last edited by Stereorob; 09-26-18 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 09:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

anyone have any questions about the car at all instead of just bashing my brains in accusing me of hurting a car that i didnt???
Old 09-25-18, 10:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

sorry i ever even wrote this review. Christ almighty. yes, i work at a dealership and i know that car salesman are universally the bad guy, however im not in sales and i was a Lexus enthusiast for a very long time before i ever worked at a dealership. i know what will hurt and wont hurt these cars and i would never jeopardize one of them, or my job. im like everybody else here just checking out the new stuff. however, since this has turned into a **** show bash thread, moderators feel free to delete it. ,. i respect the hell out of the cars and Lexus as a brand. i didn't abuse this car. i just drove it and wanted to tell you guys what it was like, since not many have had a chance to play with them yet.
You have two posters that said something negative, calm down. I'm more concerned with the average Joe test driving a vehicle I'm looking at to purchase. That's why I said I don't buy anything with more than just a few miles. My ES had 3 miles on it when I test drove it.
Old 09-25-18, 10:52 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
You have two posters that said something negative, calm down. I'm more concerned with the average Joe test driving a vehicle I'm looking at to purchase. That's why I said I don't buy anything with more than just a few miles. My ES had 3 miles on it when I test drove it.
im really surprised. ive never seen less then 10 on any of them, ever. maybe different regions do different things with their cars, idk. i do know the cars here go through a battery of tests to make sure they are legit before they go home with their new owners. then again i know we really go the extra mile (no pun intended) when it comes to making sure people are happy with their cars. i haven't seen too many newer ones with problems. i cant think of a single post 2013 ES that has come through here with major issues other then one that was literally hooned to death the first two years of its life. zero maintenance done, i mean ZERO for over 50k. no oil change no nothing. looked like it had been through a war zone. huge dents all over it, filthy dirty, and it still ran fine just had a little vibration. i absolutely hate seeing them mistreated like that. its sad to see and shame on the owners that treat them like that.
Old 09-25-18, 10:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

im really surprised. ive never seen less then 10 on any of them, ever. maybe different regions do different things with their cars, idk. i do know the cars here go through a battery of tests to make sure they are legit before they go home with their new owners. then again i know we really go the extra mile (no pun intended) when it comes to making sure people are happy with their cars. i haven't seen too many newer ones with problems. i cant think of a single post 2013 ES that has come through here with major issues other then one that was literally hooned to death the first two years of its life. zero maintenance done, i mean ZERO for over 50k. no oil change no nothing. looked like it had been through a war zone. huge dents all over it, filthy dirty, and it still ran fine just had a little vibration. i absolutely hate seeing them mistreated like that. its sad to see and shame on the owners that treat them like that.
How about the 10K oil change interval - do you trust that?
Old 09-25-18, 11:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How about the 10K oil change interval - do you trust that?
this is me personally, DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS..
yeah, i do. oil is better then it used to be. its a myth that oil needs to be changed every 5k. 10k is pretty normal though. synthetic some say is good for 20k but i dont believe it and even if thats legit, i still do mine at 10.

its sort of like premium gas. the ES along with some other models no longer require hi-test. hell even the old ones that want hi-test you can still get away with normal 87. there WILL be a noticeable change in performance but its not really going to hurt anything. when i was between jobs and stone cold broke, i ran 87 in my LS for several months and got away with it. the car wasn't thrilled with it but it didn't hurt anything.

however, some things really do matter. coolant for example, these cars are rock solid but get fussy when it comes to some fluids. use the Toyota red stuff and dont mix them. yes its a bit more pricey but its worth it. and on the older cars, use the right tranny fluid. wanna see a **** show? put something in there thatch not recommended by Lexus in an LS400, then again sometimes its not a great idea to poke the bear, thats why the transmissions are sealed these days, yes it makes them very difficult to change the fluid yourself at home, but once it gets up there in miles, its better to just leave it alone. the one time i did a drain and refill on one of my transmissions is when it went out.

we could talk timing belts and all kinds of other stuff on other/older models but this is about a brand new ES that hasn't even been adopted yet. lol
Old 09-25-18, 12:22 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

this is me personally, DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS..
yeah, i do. oil is better then it used to be. its a myth that oil needs to be changed every 5k. 10k is pretty normal though. synthetic some say is good for 20k but i dont believe it and even if thats legit, i still do mine at 10.

its sort of like premium gas. the ES along with some other models no longer require hi-test. hell even the old ones that want hi-test you can still get away with normal 87. there WILL be a noticeable change in performance but its not really going to hurt anything. when i was between jobs and stone cold broke, i ran 87 in my LS for several months and got away with it. the car wasn't thrilled with it but it didn't hurt anything.

however, some things really do matter. coolant for example, these cars are rock solid but get fussy when it comes to some fluids. use the Toyota red stuff and dont mix them. yes its a bit more pricey but its worth it. and on the older cars, use the right tranny fluid. wanna see a **** show? put something in there thatch not recommended by Lexus in an LS400, then again sometimes its not a great idea to poke the bear, thats why the transmissions are sealed these days, yes it makes them very difficult to change the fluid yourself at home, but once it gets up there in miles, its better to just leave it alone. the one time i did a drain and refill on one of my transmissions is when it went out.

we could talk timing belts and all kinds of other stuff on other/older models but this is about a brand new ES that hasn't even been adopted yet. lol
So even if we accept that the oil is good for 10K, is the filter still working as designed at that interval?

Old 09-25-18, 12:28 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

So even if we accept that the oil is good for 10K, is the filter still working as designed at that interval?
i dont work in the service bay. im electronics. i do tutorials for customers and help diagnose electronic bugs and stuff. based on my own personal experience, i always change the filter when doing the oil. (when im doing it myself in the driveway) im already under there, might as well get it out of the way all in one shot
Old 09-25-18, 12:32 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

speaking of oil filters... totally off topic, but have you ever had the pleasure of ripping out a filter thats about 15 years old with probably 80,000 miles worth of oil in it? -as in not changed in all that time or mileage..

bought a rough 91 LS once from a woman for $300 that was the original owner. she said she hadnt changed the oil for all that time. as nasty as it was, i believed her.. it was just an old beater car that had outlived 5 other cars that she used to haul her dogs around and stuff in.
Old 09-25-18, 12:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

i dont work in the service bay. im electronics. i do tutorials for customers and help diagnose electronic bugs and stuff. based on my own personal experience, i always change the filter when doing the oil. (when im doing it myself in the driveway) im already under there, might as well get it out of the way all in one shot
I'm saying I'm not sure the filter will actually do it's job for 10K miles. I've been changing our RX every 7K or so. Makes me feel better and cost is insignificant.
Old 09-25-18, 02:22 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

I'm saying I'm not sure the filter will actually do it's job for 10K miles. I've been changing our RX every 7K or so. Makes me feel better and cost is insignificant.
makes sense. and if you love your car and feel good about it have at it man. when i got my first LS i changed my oil every 3,000 miles, which was ridiculous but i wanted to make sure it lasted plus i enjoyed doing it myself, used to wash it every three days no matter what even if i was on vacation someplace. i was insane about that car.... ffwd 17 years later, i havent washed my current LS in almost a month. :/ and ive never changed the oil on it myself. not the enthusiastic crazy kid i used to be that would litreally get into fights with people that touched my car.

then again, i was 17 and had worked and saved my *** off to get that lexus. maybe thats why i was so insane about it.

interesting story, ive been at the dealership almost 5 years. first year i was in sales, and there is something kind of special about selling a new lexus to someone, especially if your heart is in it. i really enjoyed the process especially when it was someone new to the brand or was getting their first luxury car. from handshake to delivery, it was a rewarding process and id stay in the delivery bay till the car was down the street, and kept in touch with all my customers. one particular i remember, guy in his early 40s comes in, blue collar working class guy, in an old honda accord that had about a million miles on it and looked like it had been hit with a nuclear flash during an atomic bomb, comes in the front door. wanted to look at a new (then 2014) ES350. took him on the test drive and he told me how the ES was his dream car and had been putting money away for years to get one, and that he was finally able to. it was really cool to be a part of that journey, and the one that handed him that leather gloved key fob with that shiny Lexus emblem on it. nothing really to do with this thread, but its all relative i guess.

Quick Reply: 19 ES F-sport. a complete idiots review