ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Is the new ES worth the $10k premium over Avalon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 02:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

All subjective I guess but to me, there's an obvious difference between the two after sitting in both. All comes down to personal preference and what's more important to you.
Old 09-22-18, 03:01 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,218 Likes on 634 Posts

I think the stitching on the seats and doors is much nicer than the ES. I LOVE that stitching!
Old 09-22-18, 03:02 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TableRock
I'm having this same quandary. I drove the 2019 Avalon Limited Hybrid, fully loaded, MSRP, $47k, and liked it very much. Very quiet, smooth, and great fit and finish. including what appears to be the same upgraded triple LED headlamps as the Lexus, standard on the Limited Avalon Hybrid. My Toyota dealer already gave me an out the door price of $42.5k and I've not yet gotten a quote from my local Lexus dealer nor have I driven a fully loaded 300h Ultra Lux to compare it. I was very impressed with the new Avalon.The ES I priced out was $57k with all the goodies,

Has anyone been able to compare insurance costs for both models?

I'm sorry to derail this thread, so maybe I'll search for an existing one or start a new one, but seeing that $55k+ figure appear for the ES, I went over to AutoTrader and saw a pile of low mile fairly new LS460 L's that could be had for the price of a 2019 ES Ultra Lux..... decisions, decisions......
Fully loaded FSport is around 53k.
Old 09-22-18, 06:49 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

The Avalon is undoubtedly a nice car and that one is very sharp. My ONLY gripe is extremely subjective, it’s that enormous grill. Looks like a whale scooping up krill. How is the interior noise level. Ours was quite noisy - especially from the rear seat. We still liked the car and had it for seven years.
Old 09-22-18, 07:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
The Avalon is undoubtedly a nice car and that one is very sharp. My ONLY gripe is extremely subjective, it’s that enormous grill. Looks like a whale scooping up krill. How is the interior noise level. Ours was quite noisy - especially from the rear seat. We still liked the car and had it for seven years.
Center stack also night and day. Avalon has the tablet style display which almost seems like it doesn't belong there.
Old 09-22-18, 07:28 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Center stack also night and day. Avalon has the tablet style display which almost seems like it doesn't belong there.

I must respectfully disagree. We find the tablet integration with the center stack to be quite useful and ergonomic to use. I have used the Lexus trackpad and mouse and found them to be frustrating and cumbersome. Yes, the Avalon infotainment system initially looks out of place until you sit behind the wheel and start interacting with it. Everyone is different. For us, it works well.

I really like the new generation ES350, but as I mentioned earlier, it all came down to price for us. Is the ES350 a better car? Hard to say, but it is decidedly a more sleeker looking car. Yes, the grill on the Avalon is quite large, but I believe the limited grill looks much better than the touring grill. I am sure the new ES350 will outsell the Avalon as time goes forward. Not trying to sway anyone here on the merits of the Avalon over the Lexus - its just that for us, it was the better value.
Old 09-23-18, 05:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I think the stitching on the seats and doors is much nicer than the ES. I LOVE that stitching!
Yes I agree. The stitching is lovely.

Originally Posted by TechNut
My parents car is pretty quiet. Their from windshield and side windows on the front are acoustic and are laminated.
Old 09-23-18, 05:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanielDD
I must respectfully disagree. We find the tablet integration with the center stack to be quite useful and ergonomic to use. I have used the Lexus trackpad and mouse and found them to be frustrating and cumbersome. Yes, the Avalon infotainment system initially looks out of place until you sit behind the wheel and start interacting with it. Everyone is different. For us, it works well.
My father absolutely hated the touch remote from the 2018 Es. Probably the worst thing ever invented by Lexus. I had the touch remote in my CT, although I didn't loath it like my father, I did not like it very much. The new Avalon does it right by making it easy to use with hard redundant buttons as well as one for the A/C on/off. But I agree, it is not for everyone.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-23-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 07:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DanielDD

I really like the new generation ES350, but as I mentioned earlier, it all came down to price for us. Is the ES350 a better car? Hard to say, but it is decidedly a more sleeker looking car. Yes, the grill on the Avalon is quite large, but I believe the limited grill looks much better than the touring grill. I am sure the new ES350 will outsell the Avalon as time goes forward. Not trying to sway anyone here on the merits of the Avalon over the Lexus - its just that for us, it was the better value.
I tried the new trackpad and it works quite well although quite frankly, we have the mouse on our RX and I have no issues with that design either. I personally hate the tablet look in a car.
Old 09-23-18, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The touchscreen versus remote touch issue is always a fun one. No way to satisfy everyone unless you offer both, and even that is a compromised solution. I am totally fine with remote touch and hate the touchscreen in my Highlander. Such is life. Kind of great here with the ES and Avalon, as you can choose which you like the most if you feel that strongly about it.
Old 09-23-18, 08:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The touchscreen versus remote touch issue is always a fun one. No way to satisfy everyone unless you offer both, and even that is a compromised solution. I am totally fine with remote touch and hate the touchscreen in my Highlander. Such is life. Kind of great here with the ES and Avalon, as you can choose which you like the most if you feel that strongly about it.
How is it compromised if you just add both?
Old 09-23-18, 09:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The screen in the Lexus is a stretch for touch - for sure in the RX, it's not even within reach and perhaps the same in the ES.
Old 09-23-18, 09:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,218 Likes on 634 Posts

The screen in the Lexus is a stretch for touch - for sure in the RX, it's not even within reach and perhaps the same in the ES.
Agreed, no reaching it in the RX, and it looks very nice where it is placed.

RAM trucks, Vovlvo, and the almighty Tesla have enormous screens right in the middle that are touch. Maybe more cars will go that route. I personally don't mind the remote touch, I want simplified menus. I can shut off the AC in the Vette by pushing one button and still have outside air coming in. The RX takes... 3 step I think?
Old 09-23-18, 09:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, no reaching it in the RX, and it looks very nice where it is placed.
I see what you both mean. I do not mean add touch to existing cars. You would have to add it in a whole new dash design.

The RX takes... 3 step I think?
The strangest idea by Lexus.
Old 09-23-18, 04:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yup, location. The screen in my GS is up high, and recessed under a hood. I don’t have to look too far down to see it, but it’s definitely out of reach.

In my Highlander, they’ve put it within easy reach. Not recessed up high under a hood. Gets terrible glare and I have to take my eyes further off the road to see and use it.

Quick Reply: Is the new ES worth the $10k premium over Avalon?