Availability of Triple LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 02:05 AM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Availability of Triple LEDs

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows if any the standard configurations for the luxury version (non F Sport, non Hybrid) of the 2019 ES 350 has the triple LEDs? I saw somewhere (I think northparklexusatdominion) that the Luxury configuration with Nav also includes the triple LEDs? But then seeing the dealer photos that was recently posted of a luxury version with Nav not having the triple LEDs makes it confusing. Do I need to custom order this or will it be more widely available?
Old 08-30-18, 12:22 AM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question here as the Lexus website has been updated with the 2019 ES builder. The triple LEDs are not included in any of the configurations. It's an option you have to add.
Old 08-30-18, 07:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by jz14
Ok, I'm going to answer my own question here as the Lexus website has been updated with the 2019 ES builder. The triple LEDs are not included in any of the configurations. It's an option you have to add.
From various information I've read on these forums, I understand that the light output by these LED's is not as good (bright) as HID lighting. I have the optional HID's on my car and am very happy with the lighting result. Others on here have complained about the LED's. I would bet, however, that if you buy an optioned out car that you'll get the LED's whether you want them or not. They are very expensive @ $1515.00 option. Can't even imagine what it would be to replace one...

Old 08-30-18, 07:59 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
From various information I've read on these forums, I understand that the light output by these LED's is not as good (bright) as HID lighting. I have the optional HID's on my car and am very happy with the lighting result. Others on here have complained about the LED's. I would bet, however, that if you buy an optioned out car that you'll get the LED's whether you want them or not. They are very expensive @ $1515.00 option. Can't even imagine what it would be to replace one...
They are adaptive so turn with the wheel, that's one major advantage over HID. Lexus needs to get with the times LED is old BMW and Audi are using laser headlights.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 08:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not too long ago Car & Driver tested halogen, HID and LRD headlights and the HID's performed the best of the group. In IIHS testing a couple of models with HID's scored higher than LED's in general. I'm sure that LED's will continue to improve, but agree nothing wrong with HID.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 09:41 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure why we are discussing HIDs here...Even the standard single projector on this 2019 ES is going to be bi-LED for low and high beam..

Last edited by SuperMido; 08-30-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 12:08 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
They are adaptive so turn with the wheel, that's one major advantage over HID. Lexus needs to get with the times LED is old BMW and Audi are using laser headlights.
Laser headlights? Both BMW and Audi list their lights as LED.
Old 08-30-18, 12:19 PM
SuperMido
Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Laser headlights? Both BMW and Audi list their lights as LED.
Not very relevant to the Lexus ES. But laser lights have been banned by the US. Because we have lame rules in place as far as lighting goes compared to the rest of the world...Thats why we don't really have full sequential lights as-well.

Now BMW and Audi are trying to work on ways to introduce those laser lights in the US. As far as I know, only the Audi R8 has laser lights. But again, maybe other models are now starting to show up with it.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Lexus to invest in such Technology for it to be banned by US regulations. The 2019 ES all over the world gets the AHS system. Which uses multiple LEDs in each one of the triple projectors for high beams. What that does is allow the high beams to be always on. And only selectively turn off specific ones to not dazzle on-coming cars....The US bans that Technology..So all Lexus can offer us is the auto on-off high beams...
Old 08-31-18, 12:15 AM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

I have been looking into triple LEDs for a while. Here’s what I am aware of based on what I’ve read from various places:

- The iihs.org ratings for the 2018 Lexus RX with triple LEDs was only marginal compared to the projector LEDs which were rated acceptable. So far I believe there are no other ratings of the triple LEDs as the headlight system of the LS (also triple LEDs) has not been rated by iihs.org yet.
- Though not scientific, someone in the RX forum did a light meter test and the triple LEDs in the RX performed worse than the projector LEDs.
- Others have mentioned that by simply aiming the triple LEDs higher, they were able to see much better. They apparently came aimed lower in the RX.

The one thing I do want to determine before getting this car is to how the triple LEDs on the ES compares to the standard Bi-LEDs. Most of the discussions and analysis has been with the RX and not the new ES. For me, as long as triple LEDs on the ES perform on par with the Bi-LEDs, visually behind the wheel, then I’d look into getting them because they do make the car look sharper from the outside (my opinion of course).

As with LEDs vs HIDs. Here are my thoughts and I’m not looking at any light meter tests, etc., just my own personal observations and experience.

The headlight configurations such as projector vs reflector, and how many lights, etc. have a lot to do with the quality of lighting. So I currently drive a BMW 5 series with HID projectors. Based on my observations behind the wheel at night, my headlights are on par or better than most other HID systems. However, when I drive next to most LED equipped cars, my headlights start getting drowned out. Now that may be because the color temperature is higher (more white) on the LEDs and the brightness tend to be focused closer to front of the road as I heard LEDs don’t shine as far as HIDs.

Interestingly, I’ve taken my BMW in for service a few times and got a loaner base 3 series which now has LED reflectors. Those lights are horrible. They are very bright close up but the beam pattern is messy and I always can’t wait to have my car with HIDs back. At the same time, I recently rented a brand new 2018 Toyota Corolla from a Toyota dealership for a weekend trip. Amazingly, the Corolla has some really decent projector LEDs and just about every time I drove next to another car, the headlights on the Corolla would completely drown out the ones from the other car. After driving the Corolla, I can safely say that I’d be happy to have the Corolla LED projectors replace the HIDs in my BMW.

So my own observation is that there are some really good LED projector configurations out there. Some of the better ones I’ve seen include those from Tesla, Mercedes full LED projectors (not the base LED reflectors), Acura jewel LEDs, etc. I would just hate to get the triple LEDs on the ES and get drowned out by an Acura or worse a Camry when I drive next to one. Those Camrys have got some good LED projectors also.
Old 08-31-18, 08:32 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A the end of the day the realistic functional difference will be mostly marginal/unnoticeable unless maybe compared side by side. It all comes down to looks. The triple LED definitely looks better... just not $1500 better IMO.
Old 08-31-18, 08:35 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Originally Posted by reposado2
A the end of the day the realistic functional difference will be mostly marginal/unnoticeable unless maybe compared side by side. It all comes down to looks. The triple LED definitely looks better... just not $1500 better IMO.
I think I agree partly with this. It'll be mostly cosmetic. On the flipside though, I TOTALLY think it's worth the $1500. Just for the looks, in this model the triple beam makes the look of the front end of the car. And the lack of it completely breaks it IMO.
Old 08-31-18, 08:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reposado2
I agree with this statement. $1500.00 is a lot for headlights in any car... And you can't go to Pep Boys for replacements...

Old 08-31-18, 09:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

HIDs costly to replace as well.
Old 08-31-18, 10:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you looked up replacement LED headlights for newer cars? Your eyes will water lol.
Old 08-31-18, 10:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
HIDs costly to replace as well.
I've replaced HID's in a VW GTI that I bought on Ebay. $60.00...

Quick Reply: Availability of Triple LEDs