ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

CPO Documentation - What docs do you have??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 05:40 PM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Documentation - What docs do you have??

Just bought a 2021 ES350 in southern Florida that is supposedly "Certified". Posting this here, as it is the place for this car, but might belong generally elsewhere.
What documentation do you other CPO buyers have that proves your buy is certified? None of the dozens of docs I signed as they were flashed by electronically, seem to have covered the issue. I did print the carfax that says the car was being sold certified. I would sure like to have a piece of paper with my VIN detailing the facts. Bought in Pembroke Pines and will have it serviced in Ft. Myers when due, hopefully.

What did you get??
Old 12-15-23, 07:51 AM
DH1
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CPO documentation

My wife's package included a couple documents. One was a copy of the window sticker that marked it as L/Certified, with a "manufacturer's used vehicle warranty". The other was a doc that listed the buyer's details (my wife), vehicle details including VIN, and a breakdown of all charges, taxes, and fees. Notes section calls out "Lexus Pre Owned Certified Vehicle"

The dealer also gave her a folder with some documentation about what the L/Certified program was, when it starts, when it ends, what coverages are included, etc. I don't think any of that documentation was specific to her car, just literature about the L/Certified program.

If it was indeed CPO, the Lexus dealer network will have that documented in their operating system, but I would ask for the documents as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by DH1:
ATL350 (12-16-23), YumpinYiminy (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 03:27 PM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Thanks DH1. Anyone is southern Florida buy a CPO?
Old 12-15-23, 05:13 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 446 Likes on 311 Posts

I didn’t buy mine CPO but I bought it (brand new) from Pembroke Pines and found them to be honest and professional. I’m sure they’ll properly address any concerns that you have. I plan to buy my next car from them, too.
Old 12-16-23, 06:12 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn’t get much either but in checking my docs the purchase order has the box checked that says Lexus Certified. We’ve had a relationship with our dealer for ver 14 years now so m really not worried. I’m sure it’s registered with Lexus as a certified vehicle.
Old 12-16-23, 08:28 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

When I purchased my CPO 2021 ES350 in early 2021 (it was a loaner with 4000 mi) I recall an extensive discussion about the parameters of a CPO warranty but precious little documentation referring to it. It did concern me at the time and I should have pressed the issue since discussions don’t mean jack unless reduced to writing. I’ll have to pull my docs, but the one item I do recall was an inspection checklist which is performed and provided in conjunction with a CPO sale.
Old 12-16-23, 08:54 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 970 Posts

Just call the dealer and ask for a document that states the CPO warranty end date. Everything is going electronic. Check any emailed attachments.
Old 12-17-23, 05:36 AM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Yes, along with at least a "checkmark" I would like to see the inspection checklist too. I did print the carfax before I bought, but that also does not mean jack. But so far nothing. I am waiting one more week. If no response, I am going higher somehow until resolved.
Old 12-17-23, 05:39 AM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Believe me swfla, I have texted my sales person several times, and he says he has checked. He said he is bing told that when i take the car in for service (130 miles away from where I bought it) that they will look it up. I do NOT want to tke that chance.
Old 12-17-23, 01:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 498 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by G1H1
When I purchased my CPO 2021 ES350 in early 2021 (it was a loaner with 4000 mi) I recall an extensive discussion about the parameters of a CPO warranty but precious little documentation referring to it. It did concern me at the time and I should have pressed the issue since discussions don’t mean jack unless reduced to writing. I’ll have to pull my docs, but the one item I do recall was an inspection checklist which is performed and provided in conjunction with a CPO sale.
According to Lexus's L/CERTIFIED CERTIFICATION & WARRANTY web page, the 161-POINT INSPECTION CHECKLIST (pdf file) has a "Customer Signature" block (see page 6) which strongly implies, if not explicitly requires, the buyer (i.e., customer) be informed of (through review of the filled out checklist) all pre-existing conditions the dealer's inspecting technician has found. Per the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide (the warranty material starts on page 7 and pretty much just states what is excluded from coverage) "PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS" are excluded from L/Certified Limited Warranty coverage. While the Lexus L/Certified marketing seemingly implies a buyer gets 2 years of new car warranty extension, the "WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY" excludes quite a bit of things that a "new car warranty" would cover for a new car. (Of particular interest for used Lexus hybrid vehicle buyers, "Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly" are all explicitly excluded from warranty coverage items.)

Old 12-17-23, 04:44 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by bnb2310
Believe me swfla, I have texted my sales person several times, and he says he has checked. He said he is bing told that when i take the car in for service (130 miles away from where I bought it) that they will look it up. I do NOT want to tke that chance.
Ask to speak to general manager. Salesman is a nobody. Lexus relies on positive feedback from customer surveys. If you get an unacceptable response, inform the manager that your experience will reflect in the survey and that you will be contacting corporate and leaving a negative review on YELP. No threats, just consequences. A lot of work considering they should be accommodating you. So, you need to decide how much you want to push.
The following users liked this post:
Boboso52 (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 04:52 PM
Boboso52
10th Gear

I just purchased a CPO NX 350. I would encourage CPO buyers to go over their checklists and verify that everything is right. Don’t trust the inspection checklist. I found several checklist issues that needed attention. I had stuff checked as OK that was NOT; items were checked off that were missing…Even stuff that was not applicable was checked inaccurately. CD player checked ok…it doesn’t have one. Spare tire and jack checked ok……it doesn’t have a spare.

Working with the dealership to get everything resolved. It will get resolved, but it’s frustrating when the information pricided by the dealership is inaccurate and you have them to account to get it right. The corporate surveys are useful if the dealership balks in correcting required items.

to account to get it right.
Old 05-09-24, 04:54 PM
Boboso52
10th Gear

Originally Posted by grp52
According to Lexus's L/CERTIFIED CERTIFICATION & WARRANTY web page, the 161-POINT INSPECTION CHECKLIST (pdf file) has a "Customer Signature" block (see page 6) which strongly implies, if not explicitly requires, the buyer (i.e., customer) be informed of (through review of the filled out checklist) all pre-existing conditions the dealer's inspecting technician has found. Per the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide (the warranty material starts on page 7 and pretty much just states what is excluded from coverage) "PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS" are excluded from L/Certified Limited Warranty coverage. While the Lexus L/Certified marketing seemingly implies a buyer gets 2 years of new car warranty extension, the "WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY" excludes quite a bit of things that a "new car warranty" would cover for a new car. (Of particular interest for used Lexus hybrid vehicle buyers, "Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly" are all explicitly excluded from warranty coverage items.)
My 161 point checklist had lots of errors on it.
Old 05-09-24, 05:03 PM
Jersey5974
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just brought mine to the dealer during service and they looked it up by VIN to verify it was prepaid maintenance (e.g. CPO'd). I did get a doc at purchase, but never showed it.
Old 05-09-24, 05:04 PM
Jersey5974
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Boboso52
I just purchased a CPO NX 350. I would encourage CPO buyers to go over their checklists and verify that everything is right. Don’t trust the inspection checklist. I found several checklist issues that needed attention. I had stuff checked as OK that was NOT; items were checked off that were missing…Even stuff that was not applicable was checked inaccurately. CD player checked ok…it doesn’t have one. Spare tire and jack checked ok……it doesn’t have a spare.

Working with the dealership to get everything resolved. It will get resolved, but it’s frustrating when the information pricided by the dealership is inaccurate and you have them to account to get it right. The corporate surveys are useful if the dealership balks in correcting required items.

to account to get it right.
Yeah they never gave me my floor mats! But I bought some rubber liners for $110 so whatever.

Quick Reply: CPO Documentation - What docs do you have??