ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

10,000 mile dealer non-service

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 09:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Never saw that REAR SEAT REMINDER option in my 2019 so will have to check again. Thanks for that.
Old 11-02-23, 12:03 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Never saw that REAR SEAT REMINDER option in my 2019 so will have to check again. Thanks for that.
The seat belt reminder customizations aren't listed in the Customization section of the Owner's Manual. They are listed, though, in the "Lexus Personalized Settings" customer form for the model year appropriate ES available for downloading from the My Lexus Resources web page. Select the model type and year, hit submit to set the links to the appropriate resources, scroll down to the "LEXUS PERSONALIZED SETTINGS" section, and click the "VIEW PDF" button to see the form. (Don't try it for a 2019 ES 350 for some reason the submitted set link is broken. 2019 ES 300H works as well as later model year ESs.)

In the form's "Programmable by Dealer Only" section see items 40 and 41 for driver and front passenger seat belt reminder settings and items 42, 43, and 44 for right rear, left rear and rear center seat belt reminder settings.

Last edited by grp52; 11-02-23 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 12:37 PM
BlainePDX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by losiglow
I believe the seatbelt reminder can be turned off in the Vehicle Settings menu:
Is your a 2023? My 2023 has that option. I'm not sure if it's a new option.

My (Portland) Lexus dealer notified me by e-mail when the six-month and one-year free service were about to expire (even though I'm way below the max miles). Seems like the OP just has a (relatively) less customer-friendly dealer to begin with.
Old 11-02-23, 12:46 PM
scubapr
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

REAR SEAT REMINDER is there to remind you if you left something behind (like child). It's not the Seat Belt Reminder which is part of the Lexus Personalized Settings document (by dealer).
Old 11-02-23, 01:35 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
REAR SEAT REMINDER is there to remind you if you left something behind (like child). It's not the Seat Belt Reminder which is part of the Lexus Personalized Settings document (by dealer).
You're correct about the Multi Information Display (MID) Seat Belt Reminder setting. In my post above I got my wires crossed in associating it with the dealer customizable individual seat belt reminder settings.

Originally Posted by BlainePDX
Is your a 2023? My 2023 has that option. I'm not sure if it's a new option.
The feature and MID option control was added starting with the 2022 model year. The following was added to the Owner's Manual explaining the feature's operation:
Rear seat reminder function

● In order to remind you not to forget luggage, etc. in the rear seat, when the engine switch is turned off after any of the following conditions are met, a buzzer will sound and a message will be dis- played on the multi-information display for approximately 6 seconds.

• The engine is started within 10 minutes after opening and closing a rear door.

• A rear door has been opened and losed after the engine was started.

However, if a rear door is opened and then closed within approximately 2 seconds, the rear seat reminder function may not operate.

● The rear seat reminder function determines that luggage, etc. has been placed in a rear seat based on opening and closing of a rear door. Therefore, depending on the situation, the rear seat reminder function may not operate and you may still forget luggage, etc. in the rear seat, or it may operate unnecessarily.

● The rear seat reminder function can be enabled/disabled. (→P. {page number varies by model and year version})
Old 11-02-23, 04:21 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

There is a a reason they are called stealerships. 3% credit card fee, really, with such jacked up prices they are worried about loss of 3% due to credit card processing. What a joke.
bc6152 (11-03-23)
Old 11-04-23, 08:39 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

TOLIAN OBSERVES: "There is a a [sic] reason they are called stealerships. 3% credit card fee, really, with such jacked up prices they are worried about loss of 3% due to credit card processing. What a joke."
I disagree; you can't call it stealing if you are advised of the charge in advance ("Dealership said, "We've just instituted a 3% credit card surcharge.") and provided options to proceed at a lower cost.
A thief steals without warning, and gets away fast without recourse.
Old 11-04-23, 11:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,247 Likes on 875 Posts

They're still stealerships in my opinion... Nickel and dime you any way they can... I've never been back except for free service...
Old 11-04-23, 11:53 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
TOLIAN OBSERVES: "There is a a [sic] reason they are called stealerships. 3% credit card fee, really, with such jacked up prices they are worried about loss of 3% due to credit card processing. What a joke."
I disagree; you can't call it stealing if you are advised of the charge in advance ("Dealership said, "We've just instituted a 3% credit card surcharge.") and provided options to proceed at a lower cost.
A thief steals without warning, and gets away fast without recourse.
Yes, they technically do not steal, only take advantage, but myself and many others still like to call them stealerships.
LexFinally (11-04-23)
Old 11-04-23, 12:10 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 445 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
Yes, they technically do not steal, only take advantage, but myself and many others still like to call them stealerships.
I'll go to the dealership if the repair item is complex and something a Lexus certified technician with the right equipment has best shot at doing right the first time. But for routine service, my independent longtime mechanic is great, honest and maybe half the price---just no luxury waiting area with free coffee and biscotti at his place!
LexFinally (11-04-23)
Old 11-20-23, 07:48 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 890 Likes on 560 Posts

Epilogue: To their credit, after I appealed to Woodfield Lexus's management, the dealership offered to perform the second service free as a goodwill gesture. While I was unable to accept because I had already arranged to have the oil change done by my indie shop, I do appreciate the offer at an ethical level.

The rear seat alarm, they didn't want to touch because it's a safety system. Liability and all that, I suppose. I can understand it, even though I disagree with it.
UltraLux22 (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 07:08 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 466 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
Given the particular details, no sympathy from me on this.

It is right there in regular print in the 20XX Lexus ES XXXX Warranty and Services Guide you only get one, ONE, complementary service that includes an oil and oil filter change. The terms on that complementary service are:
(emphasis added)

Sure, the Lexus dealer has contractual obligations to perform the first complimentary service (performed at six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first) and the second complimentary service (performed at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first) which includes an oil and oil filter change, BUT you, the customer, also have a contractual obligation to schedule those services as required by the contract terms.

You didn't meet your contractual obligation for a dealer provided complimentary service so you really have no grounds for complaining about not getting a service at no cost to you.
My immature and snarky mind thinks - I completely agree with your direct and critical evaluation of LexFinally's excessively passionate and irrational outburst. It's important for him to tone down his behavior, and I believe that your pointed and critical approach will help him learn. Well done! 🙄

My rational and diplomatic mind thinks - It appears that the pointed and somewhat derogatory reply was unnecessary given the content of LexFinally's post and quite frankly, the tone wasn't even unreasonable.
It may be more prudent to direct your attention toward those who merit a more vigorous response and not allow your enthusiasm to dictate your responses.

At most, deliver your cut-and-paste message sans colorful commentary and move on! At worst, well, I think you already did that!

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Good sir, I made this post to tell my story and express my displeasure. I have done so. Where did you get the misimpression that I was soliciting grp52's sympathy?
The comment in question appears to be an excessive effort to highlight a minor oversight you made. I didn't recall your story as having an underlying tone of attention-seeking behavior, so I'm a bit puzzled. I do not believe it is necessary to recite the information word for word to you as if your ability to comprehend the situation was somehow misplaced.

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Epilogue: To their credit, after I appealed to Woodfield Lexus's management, the dealership offered to perform the second service free as a goodwill gesture. While I was unable to accept because I had already arranged to have the oil change done by my indie shop, I do appreciate the offer at an ethical level.

The rear seat alarm, they didn't want to touch because it's a safety system. Liability and all that, I suppose. I can understand it, even though I disagree with it.
The offer made to you by the dealership is more than fair. As you are unable to utilize their offer at this service interval, it should be reasonable to expect that they would provide a credit for your following applicable or equivalent service, especially since you plan to keep the vehicle for years to come. You appear to be fully aware of the terms Lexus must adhere to. While you can potentially disengage the alarm yourself, it's important to note that they have informed you of the terms, and you have acknowledged them. However, the last time I checked, acceptance and liking are not mutually exclusive!

This reminds me...

Oh, I love this! It takes me back to my rebellious childhood when I would come home from school and ask my mom what she had prepared for dinner. And if her answer didn't meet my high standards, I would ask if there were other options. With a smug look on her face, she would reply, "Oh yes, darling, you always have the option of 'take it or leave it!' Would you like a double helping?"
Old 11-21-23, 08:31 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
The offer made to you by the dealership is more than fair. As you are unable to utilize their offer at this service interval, it should be reasonable to expect that they would provide a credit for your following applicable or equivalent service, especially since you plan to keep the vehicle for years to come. You appear to be fully aware of the terms Lexus must adhere to. While you can potentially disengage the alarm yourself, it's important to note that they have informed you of the terms, and you have acknowledged them. However, the last time I checked, acceptance and liking are not mutually exclusive!
I basically agree. In fact, I told the dealership that I don't expect them to redeem the offer later, because it's manifestly unfair to expect they'll pop for a free second service by the time the car will be well over two years old with 15k on the odometer. As I said, the offer was appreciated mostly as the welcomed good faith gesture it was.

As for the alarm, again, you said it. I don't like it, but I get it — Lexus lives in a litigious world.
UltraLux22 (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 06:21 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

AS FOR THE ALARM:
As a new owner of a 24 ES 350, I also got confused about the rear seat reminder alarm and the rear seat belt alarm.
As I understand it, the rear seat reminder beeps when you shut the car off after you have opened and then closed a rear door before starting the car. This sounds reasonable, and even helpful to me (even though I don't drive babies around (any more)), and I'm not sure if it can be disabled.
As for the Seat Belt alarms, the dealer can and should disable those upon request. The "Personalized Settings" page (you have to get it from the Lexus site), in the second section entitled: "Programmable by Dealer," on page 6, items 24 to 28, lists all five seat belt locations, and allows any of them to be disabled so that there is no beep after 12 MPH. I filled out the form, indicating which items I wanted changed, and gave to my service manager about a week after the purchase. I waited for about 20 minutes, enjoying a complimentary doughnut, and they did everything on the list.
Among other things, I asked for them to disable the warning for all 3 rear seating positions. Now when I start the car, I get 3 neat little red icons just to the right of the ODO, showing 3 rear seating positions with an X through the seat belt, or something like that. The icons go off shortly thereafter, so they are not there all the time like that annoying passenger air bag notice, which is higher, right by the clock, in the center of the car and bright yellow (now covered in my car with a short piece of elec tape).
Assuming that this is the alarm discussed above, and given that this option is both available and listed on the form provided by Lexus, I do not understand why a dealership would decline to comply with a request to reset this item. Nobody said anything about it to me, so perhaps the best way to get this accomplished is to use the form as a reminder that Lexus World Headquarters says this change is OK.
Old 11-21-23, 06:29 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by tfischer
AS FOR THE ALARM:
As a new owner of a 24 ES 350, I also got confused about the rear seat reminder alarm and the rear seat belt alarm.

As for the Seat Belt alarms, the dealer can and should disable those upon request. The "Personalized Settings" page (you have to get it from the Lexus site), in the second section entitled: "Programmable by Dealer," on page 6, items 24 to 28, lists all five seat belt locations, and allows any of them to be disabled so that there is no beep after 12 MPH. I filled out the form, indicating which items I wanted changed, and gave to my service manager about a week after the purchase. I waited for about 20 minutes, enjoying a complimentary doughnut, and they did everything on the list.
Among other things, I asked for them to disable the warning for all 3 rear seating positions. Now when I start the car, I get 3 neat little red icons just to the right of the ODO, showing 3 rear seating positions with an X through the seat belt, or something like that. The icons go off shortly thereafter, so they are not there all the time like that annoying passenger air bag notice, which is higher, right by the clock, in the center of the car and bright yellow (now covered in my car with a short piece of elec tape).
Assuming that this is the alarm discussed above, and given that this option is both available and listed on the form provided by Lexus, I do not understand why a dealership would decline to comply with a request to reset this item. Nobody said anything about it to me, so perhaps the best way to get this accomplished is to use the form as a reminder that Lexus World Headquarters says this change is OK.
Good advice. Thank you for sharing it.