Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H vs Avalon hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 02:49 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ES300H vs Avalon hybrid

I am hearing impaired and I am trying to decide which car has two things

1. less road noise on the freeway (assuming both have 18's and same tires) as background noise plays a huge part when you have hearing aids/cochlear implant
2. Bluetooth quality as I am always on business calls (I am thinking ML will win this one)

I will be buying used probably around the 25k range. I can step up easily if its a for sure benefit to the issue above

I was leaning towards the gs350 but gas mileage, rougher ride, road noise, has pulled me back to the hybrid power plant. I currently drive a hybrid camry

Thank you!
Old 02-15-18, 04:29 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

The Lexus has better sound insulation. Especially, if you get a UL that has acoustic (dual pane) glass. Not the easiest to find, but easy to spot. Tires make a huge difference, so try and avoid Bridgestone's, or swap them out.
Old 02-15-18, 05:30 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

UL ultra luxury?

i though of having a professional shop do second skin as well but from my reading it seems like it does less then 5% difference and it will cost at least 2k
Old 02-15-18, 07:16 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES hybrid could be quieter but I would go for one with 17" wheels. I'm not sure if any Ultra Luxury hybrids came with 18" rims. As for tires, Pirellis seem to be the quietest and most comfy.

Last edited by chromedome; 02-15-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:21 PM
OIIIIIO13
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2013 Avalon lease for 4 years and just traded it off for an ES UL package. I will tell you hands down the ES is far better ride, and comfort. Road Sound quality is close from one to the other, the Lexus tire noise is less, but could be tires. Sit in the drivers seat of a used Avalon and a seat of a used Lexus you will notice the seat in the Avalon is hard like a wooden chair seat compared to the Lexus. The ML radio sound vs the JBL is a large step also, the JBL sounds good but not as good as the ML with a good source, SAT in both are horrible but that is a SAT issue not a car issue.
The key-point I want to stress is find a used Avalon and sit in it or test drive it compared to a Lexus, you will surely see what I mean about the seats :-)
Old 02-15-18, 08:35 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Thank you everyone. I will definitely be getting es300h now. Not the first person to mention
how comfy the Lexus is over the Avalon.
Hopefully both ventilated seats work the same cause I’ve driven
an Avalon and it was good enough.

so a Es with ML and UL so I get dual pane windows
Old 02-16-18, 06:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
so a Es with ML and UL so I get dual pane windows
Dual pane is not a guarantee. Be sure to check for it.
Old 02-16-18, 06:22 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The biggest difference is probably an ES with the 17" wheels and Michelin tires. Most of the UL's in this area have the 17s, but some have been "upgraded" to 18s.
Old 02-16-18, 06:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Dual pane is not a guarantee. Be sure to check for it.
With the 2013 model year Generation 6 ES, I think that Lexus was using using the dual pane glass fairly regularly on the UL ES, but I'm not sure whether that is the case any more. My 2017 UL ES does not have the dual pane glass,. Since buying that ES, I've been back to the dealer 3 times for service on that car or for a recall on my GX. When I've been at the dealer, I've made a point of checking the ESs in their inventory, and I haven't seen any, including the UL cars, that had the dual pane glass.

Originally Posted by chromedome
The ES hybrid could be quieter but I would go for one with 17" wheels. I'm not sure if any Ultra Luxury hybrids came with 18" rims.
While, on smooth road surfaces, there isn't much difference in noise between the 17" and 18" wheels, on less than smooth surfaces, there is a difference. However, it is correct to say that virtually all UL ES will have the 18" wheels. About the only way to get an UL ES with 17" wheels is to arrange for the dealer to swap the 18" wheels from an UL ES with the 17" wheels from another ES. The downside of that, however, is that you will be paying almost $900 for the 18" wheel option and only getting the less expensive 17" wheels.

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
I am hearing impaired and I am trying to decide which car has two things

1. less road noise on the freeway (assuming both have 18's and same tires) as background noise plays a huge part when you have hearing aids/cochlear implant
When I've had service work done on my Lexus vehicles at the Toyota dealer, I've had Avalon loaners a few times. When I've driven those Avalons, the first thing that I've noticed is the increased level of road and engine noise that enters the cabin on the Avalons, compared to my ES.
Old 02-16-18, 06:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
While, on smooth road surfaces, there isn't much difference in noise between the 17" and 18" wheels, on less than smooth surfaces, there is a difference. However, it is correct to say that virtually all UL ES will have the 18" wheels. About the only way to get an UL ES with 17" wheels is to arrange for the dealer to swap the 18" wheels from an UL ES with the 17" wheels from another ES. The downside of that, however, is that you will be paying almost $900 for the 18" wheel option and only getting the less expensive 17" wheels.
Are you saying the the ESh now has the 18" wheels as an option? They used to be not available at all on the hybrid.
Old 02-16-18, 06:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Are you saying the the ESh now has the 18" wheels as an option? They used to be not available at all on the hybrid.
No, I was thinking of the UL ES 350. Since the OP is interested in the ES 300h, my reference to the 18 inch wheels on the UL model is not relevant. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-16-18, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Surprisingly, Consumer Reports overall rating of the ES and Avalon are virtually the same (actually the Avalon is rated higher overall by one point) which includes their Road Test. As has been mentioned, you need to drive both in similar conditions and determine which seems best for you.
Old 02-16-18, 08:58 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

> think that Lexus was using using the dual pane glass fairly regularly on the UL ES

Attention: thread swipe underway...

How does one tell if they have dual pane glass? I have a non-UL 2015 that was pretty well optioned out (it has the rear sunshade, etc.). How can I tell what sort of windows it has?
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 02-16-18, 09:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
How does one tell if they have dual pane glass? I have a non-UL 2015 that was pretty well optioned out (it has the rear sunshade, etc.). How can I tell what sort of windows it has?
Here's a post with pictures I made a few years ago: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post8967434
The following users liked this post:
xBROKER (02-20-18)
Old 02-16-18, 10:07 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok, look at the glass edge-on and see two panes.
Thanks
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe

Quick Reply: ES300H vs Avalon hybrid