ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Key Replacement Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 06:38 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Key Replacement Alternatives?

My wife seems to have misplaced her key to our 2016 300h. While I imagine it will "turn up" someday I am reminded it may make sense to have a third key.

I think I remember reading that a replacement key is quite expensive? Also, curious if there is an alternative purchase source or a dealer somewhere that sells parts/accessories for a better price?

Thanks...TomMartin
Old 10-01-17, 08:28 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Tom - I agree it will probably turn up "someday" but you are smart to look into buying a replacement before the remaining key goes missing - that is when it can really get costly. They are expensive (for a "key") but I would avoid everything but a Lexus dealer - hopefully one that offers Club members a discount. All of the other options don't seem to work out very well. I'm sure others have had to replace keys and may have better advice for you.

Dave Mac
Old 10-01-17, 10:20 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Tom - I agree it will probably turn up "someday" but you are smart to look into buying a replacement before the remaining key goes missing - that is when it can really get costly. They are expensive (for a "key") but I would avoid everything but a Lexus dealer - hopefully one that offers Club members a discount. All of the other options don't seem to work out very well. I'm sure others have had to replace keys and may have better advice for you.

Dave Mac
Thanks Dave...I keep thinking we should either be able to "beep" it or call it and make it ring TomMartin
Old 10-01-17, 10:35 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Thanks Dave...I keep thinking we should either be able to "beep" it or call it and make it ring TomMartin
If the car makes one long beep when you lock it with the remaining key, then the missing key is inside the car somewhere
Old 10-01-17, 11:16 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I had lost my remote. Looked and looked all over the house and for the life of me could not remember where I left it and where it was. In a moment of desperation, inspiration struck. I took the kitchen garbage bag (sealed closed of course) and plunked it on the passenger seat. Left the other remote in the house. Pressed the start button and it started! I was so happy and did not mind taking apart the garbage bag out on the patio. Found the remote, washed it and gave it a good wipe with a Lysol wipe and it is good as new. Even smells lemony!

Must have dropped it as I was bringing the groceries in.

If you cannot find it in the house, check the garbage bags before they go away.
Old 10-02-17, 03:45 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

It will have to be programmed at the Lexus dealer.

https://www.remotesandkeys.com/produ...14&clev=0&hs=1
Old 10-02-17, 04:16 AM
songone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
It will have to be programmed at the Lexus dealer.

https://www.remotesandkeys.com/produ...14&clev=0&hs=1
Thanks for that link. Have you personally purchased this fob and had Lexus program it. If so, how much did Lexus charge?
Old 10-02-17, 06:38 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
If the car makes one long beep when you lock it with the remaining key, then the missing key is inside the car somewhere
Since I do not drive the car often...I tried what you suggested and it has what I consider a "short" beep. I think this is likely normal?
Old 10-02-17, 09:34 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Since I do not drive the car often...I tried what you suggested and it has what I consider a "short" beep. I think this is likely normal?
One short beep (chirp) is the normal lock sound. The missing key must outside the car.
Old 10-02-17, 10:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I just went through this, the car I purchased only came with one key.
Out the door from the Lexus dealer was like $240 with parts and labor. But I only had the remote programmed, I didn't have a metal key cut. The metal key just gets you in he door if your remote battery dies, it won't start it.

My suggestion is find a dealer that's willing to sell the key itself at wholesale and then you pay like an hour to have it programmed. The dealership I bought the car from reimbursed me.

You can also buy one and program yourself with TechStream, just didn't feel comfortable with the process.

On a previous Lexus, I had a bad experience with a locksmith so I went the dealer route even though it was probably a bit more.
Old 10-02-17, 06:21 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
I had lost my remote. Looked and looked all over the house and for the life of me could not remember where I left it and where it was. In a moment of desperation, inspiration struck. I took the kitchen garbage bag (sealed closed of course) and plunked it on the passenger seat. Left the other remote in the house. Pressed the start button and it started! I was so happy and did not mind taking apart the garbage bag out on the patio. Found the remote, washed it and gave it a good wipe with a Lysol wipe and it is good as new. Even smells lemony!

Must have dropped it as I was bringing the groceries in.

If you cannot find it in the house, check the garbage bags before they go away.
That's brilliant. I would've never thought of that. At least when you dug through the garbage you knew that there was light at the end of the tunnel.