ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES features you did not know about.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 10:53 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
But, you still need software to make the changes, either the app on your phone or something like Techstream on your PC.
That is what I thought, too. For the Amazon listings that I see, they say that a paid Carista subscription or other software is needed.

When the Carista app first became available several years ago, purchasing the app came with a lifetime subscription to use it. A year or so ago, Carista changed that so that, now, to use the app, you either need to buy a one week or yearly subscription. Those who bought the app before that change can still use their app without paying for additional subscriptions, but, for those buying the app now, fault codes can be read without a subscription, but, to be able to use the app to change personalized settings, a paid subscription is required.

I could be mistaken and could be missing something, but, if I am, perhaps, Bob or someone else can point us toward how to be able to change personalized settings without paying for Carista, using Techstream, or using some other software.
The following users liked this post:
NdYAG (10-08-17)
Old 10-07-17, 11:29 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lesz
That is what I thought, too. For the Amazon listings that I see, they say that a paid Carista subscription or other software is needed.

When the Carista app first became available several years ago, purchasing the app came with a lifetime subscription to use it. A year or so ago, Carista changed that so that, now, to use the app, you either need to buy a one week or yearly subscription. Those who bought the app before that change can still use their app without paying for additional subscriptions, but, for those buying the app now, fault codes can be read without a subscription, but, to be able to use the app to change personalized settings, a paid subscription is required.

I could be mistaken and could be missing something, but, if I am, perhaps, Bob or someone else can point us toward how to be able to change personalized settings without paying for Carista, using Techstream, or using some other software.
I was an early adopter to Carista and was fortunate to get it with the lifetime subscription. I also purchased their OBDII adaptor.
Old 10-07-17, 12:39 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Another reason to use the fob deactivation feature (hold lock and then press unlock twice/watch for the light to flash 4X's)
is to enable you to lock the fob inside the car. If you are planning an activity that is not "key friendly" such as swimming,
jogging, kayaking and wish to take only the waterproof, lightweight and not $300 mechanical key...slip the key out, lock
the car by pressing the inner door lock switch and hide the deactivated fob under a floor mat. When you return you just
unlock the drivers door, press any button on the fob to wake it up and off you go! The reason to lock using the door switch
is if you lock using the fob before deactivating it you will have set the alarm...when you reenter the car using the mechanical
key the alarm will go off.
The following 6 users liked this post by mcomer:
cherbob (10-10-17), hisstojay (11-17-17), mrBillFL (02-17-18), NdYAG (10-08-17), Rafadog (03-13-19), Tootsall (03-15-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-17, 03:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

I was an early adopter to Carista and was fortunate to get it with the lifetime subscription. I also purchased their OBDII adaptor.
Les and Jollick: I bought the app and adapter way back when with the lifetime free subscription. I didn't know that they now charged monthly for the app. You guys are correct...

Last edited by bc6152; 10-07-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 06:23 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mcomer
Another reason to use the fob deactivation feature (hold lock and then press unlock twice/watch for the light to flash 4X's)
is to enable you to lock the fob inside the car. If you are planning an activity that is not "key friendly" such as swimming,
jogging, kayaking and wish to take only the waterproof, lightweight and not $300 mechanical key...slip the key out, lock
the car by pressing the inner door lock switch and hide the deactivated fob under a floor mat. When you return you just
unlock the drivers door, press any button on the fob to wake it up and off you go! The reason to lock using the door switch
is if you lock using the fob before deactivating it you will have set the alarm...when you reenter the car using the mechanical
This should be a sticky!
The following 2 users liked this post by mrBillFL:
MrCEO18 (09-18-23), NdYAG (02-25-23)
Old 02-11-18, 09:47 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Another one - holding the MODE button on the steering wheel works as play/pause (or mute/unmute if listening to radio) .
The following 3 users liked this post by NdYAG:
hisstojay (02-16-18), Nu2Lex (07-10-21), phopkins75 (10-07-22)
Old 02-11-18, 11:48 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The power folding mirrors are not installed on the US ES cars. From above - (req. power folding mirrors). As you see, the term req. is there, meaning required. I believe some other countries have them along with headlight washers but not here in the USA.
Wait, US cars don't have a little button next to the mirror adjustment controller that lets you fold/unfold the side mirrors? It's become a habit of mine to press the folding button when parked and I also use it when squeezing through narrow spaces. I'd love to try Carista just to get auto folding mirrors.
Old 02-12-18, 05:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Wait, US cars don't have a little button next to the mirror adjustment controller that lets you fold/unfold the side mirrors?
Nope, just the manual method.
Old 02-12-18, 07:44 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Nope, just the manual method.
So you have to get out of the car and fold the mirrors by hand? Say it ain't so... I'm also surprised you don't get headlight washers, I thought those came together with factory HIDs.
Old 02-12-18, 07:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
So you have to get out of the car and fold the mirrors by hand? Say it ain't so... I'm also surprised you don't get headlight washers, I thought those came together with factory HIDs.
Yes and I'm glad we don't have the headlight washers. I had them on a prior vehicle and thought they did more harm than good.
Old 02-12-18, 11:55 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

There's nothing magical with what Carista does, it just issues OBD commands to set certain options. Presumably those commands are the same as what Techstream uses. You could probably do the same with a Bluetooth terminal app connected to the OBD dongle, provided you knew what the commands were. Some hacking is in order...
Old 02-16-18, 12:21 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Another one - holding the MODE button on the steering wheel works as play/pause (or mute/unmute if listening to radio) .
I like the way you did not deviate from the purpose and focus of this post
NdYAG (07-11-19)
Old 08-12-18, 01:24 PM
mcmike522
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
I don't bother deactivating the keyfob transmitter to leave in vehicle. Just:
1. pull out the mechanical key
2. leave the transmitter in the vehicle
3. Lock the door using the mechanical key - the red light on the right side of the radio is on solid so I think the alarm is set
4. then later when I get back from running, unlock with the mechanical key
NdYAG (07-11-19)
Old 08-12-18, 06:32 PM
GraceGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Remote

Hi I drive a 2014 Lexus ES 350 with 60,000 miles and the car remote does not work, door just beeps and flashes, have to use key to enter, this sucks.....I can open any other door fine only drivers door not opening, I hear sound like unlocks but nothing happens, just flashes more when I pull handle. anyone know anything about this, I'm not impressed with all the bells and whistle when they don't work, anyone know anything I'd gladly appreciate
Old 08-12-18, 10:27 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GraceGirl
Hi I drive a 2014 Lexus ES 350 with 60,000 miles and the car remote does not work, door just beeps and flashes, have to use key to enter, this sucks.....I can open any other door fine only drivers door not opening, I hear sound like unlocks but nothing happens, just flashes more when I pull handle. anyone know anything about this, I'm not impressed with all the bells and whistle when they don't work, anyone know anything I'd gladly appreciate
Are you saying you have to put the key into the lock and then manually turn it to get into the drivers door?
If so then most likely the door lock actuator has gone bad and needs to be replaced. If the fob was bad then the lights and the other doors would not work.
GraceGirl (08-19-18)

Quick Reply: ES features you did not know about.